Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with freezing Windows XP desktop

Options
  • 01-02-2010 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

I've been having problems with my Dell Dimension 8400 for the last few weeks as it randomly freezes up.
    I've defragged it and run several anti virus scans, I've removed all temp files and did a system restore, all to no avail. I can't see anything else wrong with it, but it just freezes without any apparent pattern.
    Can anybody help? I've searched the internet but haven't seen anything I haven't tried yet.
    Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Does it BSOD? Restart? What happens on screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

Nothing happens. It just freezes and Ctrl Alt Delete doesn't work, so I have to press and hold down the power button to reboot the computer:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

try unplugging non-essential external/internal devices, external USB drives etc. and see if the problem persists.

I know having several older Western Digital Drives can conflict IRQs and cause intermittant freezes (complete with annoying sound freeze).

strip to the bare essentials and see if it fixes the problem, than gradualy add them back until you find the trouble maker.

if it still crashes after bare minimum, test your RAM and CPU. or try re-installing XP (or try ubuntu :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

Thanks for that, I'll try it :)

Advertisement