Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone fair use policy on the 24mb option

• 01-02-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

So, I was with BT on their 24mb option (with a 100gb cap, up and down added, I believe) and got moved over to Vodafone along with everybody else.

Vodafone's 24mb option claims to have "No upload limit" (taken from http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/broadbandonly/?ts=1265058762315) which basically means "We have an upload limit, we are just going to pretend we don't", IE, fair use policy. (Sidenote: BT did it right. They TOLD us when we would get throttled. I respected them for that. They didn't hide behind a "fair use policy", although 100gb may have been a bit low.)

So, I have started using an online backup service (backblaze) and as a result will be doing some CRAZY uploading over the next few weeks. (sidenote 2: If I was actually getting anything near 24mb, it might actually, you know, only take a few days)

So, does anybody know when I will start getting throttled? I checked around on the Vodafone site, and could only find T&Cs that reference that there is a fair use policy, but nowhere could I find details. I then opened a topic on the "Ask Vodafone" section of Boards, and haven't gotten a response.

Thanks,
    Cian.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

slasher_65 wrote: »
    So, I have started using an online backup service (backblaze) and as a result will be doing some CRAZY uploading over the next few weeks. (sidenote 2: If I was actually getting anything near 24mb, it might actually, you know, only take a few days)

Even if your got 24MB on the botton this won't change your upload speed, as such your backups would not have been any faster...your very mistaken if you believe they would be.

Your post on the vodafone forum isn't exactly as clear as your post here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055814256

Also you posted it during the weekend so it likely got lost on page2, I'd suggest bumping it so Paul or one of the other Vodafone staff will see it as they only operate during certain hours as outlined in the opening hours thread in the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

They won't trottle you but charge you for the extra over your limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Cabaal wrote: »
    Even if your got 24MB on the botton this won't change your upload speed, as such your backups would not have been any faster...your very mistaken if you believe they would be.

True. Thanks for calling me out on that mistake. I should of course have mentioned the "Up to 768 Kbps upload speed", of which I am getting maybe 100Kbps.

Have bumped up the post.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    They won't trottle you but charge you for the extra over your limit.

Thing is their site specifically says they don't count upload towards the cap on the package

Advertisement