Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booked my flights ! :-D

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »
    This post make no sense... who mentioned anything about Vodafone?
    You mentioned a Phone Sim it was probably assumed you meant Vodafone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Alright lads I'll look into that, thanks :pac:

Gonna go get my backpack outa the attic now...

2 weeks, 2 days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

District_9 wrote: »
    You mentioned a Phone Sim it was probably assumed you meant Vodafone ?

No.. I mentioned that 5 years ago I got visafirst backpacker pack (around 80 euro)

They done my visa, setup an ANZ bank account and supplied a telstra sim card.

I know now that you can do the visa yourself (but 5 years ago I was unsure)

I know now you can setup a bank account yourself online and then transfer the money before you go (I just didn't know if you could do that 5 years ago)

I got a Telstra sim card before I left so I could give my phone number to my friends and family before I left.

Well if I had been a member of these threads then.... I would have probably saved myself 80e... hindsight is a great thing..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

mandrake04 wrote: »
    This post make no sense... who mentioned anything about Vodafone?
    Visa First currently use Vodafone.

tick tock tick tock :D

I picked up $500 today to keep me goin for a few days

3 days to go :eek:

I'm making a list of things I need to bring/do over the next few days, I think I'm pretty much in order

Any suggestions for how many pairs of shorts to bring? The weather doesn't seem terribly good :( I'm thinking 2 pairs of jeans and 3 pairs of shorts (plus swimming shorts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

Fair play Dave, any nerves yet??
    im planning on going myself to sydney in may, have a few mates out there at the moment pipe laying and say work is plentiful. Did you go through usit or plan you're own trip? i am still undecided, i hear usit is handy as they do everything but if i shopped around i could save a few hundred quid.

I'm a bit apprehensive, mainly at the idea of not finding a job and having to come home :( Should be alright though

I did it all on my own, most people don't bother with usit, etc. The visa takes about 5 minutes to order through the Aussie immigration website. There's no real benefit to ordering through an agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Dave! wrote: »
    I picked up $500 today to keep me goin for a few days

3 days to go :eek:
    fair play to ya!
    I'm making a list of things I need to bring/do over the next few days, I think I'm pretty much in order

Any suggestions for how many pairs of shorts to bring? The weather doesn't seem terribly good :( I'm thinking 2 pairs of jeans and 3 pairs of shorts (plus swimming shorts).
    probably don't need to bring much to be honest. I came over in Jan last year, landed at the start of 2 weeks of 40 degree heat! :eek: I brought 3 pairs of shorts with me, and never wore a single pair! Bought some cool boardies when i got here instead. so unless you have nice shorts you probably don't want them all, bring your jeans though.

This might come in handy for you: link, change the settings to Temp & Wind and your set!

I'm going tomorrow :eek: :eek: :eek: (it being after 12 midnight :pac: )

Can't fookin wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I'm going tomorrow :eek: :eek: :eek: (it being after 12 midnight :pac: )

Can't fookin wait

enjoy dude! The flight is very very long. Drink a few beers then fall asleep, the five times I have done it its worked. Are you stopping anywhere on the way over?

• Advertisement

Have to stop in Heathrow and Singapore, but not staying anywhere

Only 2 hours between all my connecting flights :eek:

Will that be long enough?!

I think I land in terminal 1 in Heathrow and fly out of terminal 3, I can walk between those two, am I right?

Also quick question -- do I get my boarding passes for all the flights in Dublin airport, or will I have to check in again in Heathrow and possibly Singapore? The Dublin-London flight is with Aer Lingus, the other two are with Singapore Airlines (Airbus A380 baby :pac: )

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

You should be able check into all your flights in Dublin, you are with Aer Lingus and Qantas-BA. You dont have to worry about bags or anything will be all looked after I imagine. 2 hours is plenty of time its only a short walk in Heathrow and less time you spend in that kip the better however Singapore airport is fantastic! So much to do around the airport shopping eating even have leisure facilities and hotel in one of the terminals, real easy to navigate also so you will be fine. Enjoy!

Cheers lad !

I won't be able to sleep tonight !

I'm gonna watch a couple of episodes of the West Wing now to help me along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Watch loads of episodes of boarder control and then the movie Wolf Creak. That should put you in the perfect frame of mind for coming over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Fair play Dave....been a long time coming for ya!
    Best of luck tomorrow. May see ye over there yet for a few swills! :)

(Singapore is brill btw!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cheers lad !

I won't be able to sleep tonight !

I'm gonna watch a couple of episodes of the West Wing now to help me along :)

I am on shift for the next few nights then of camping. I will check your blog some time next week to see how you got on.

Enjoy Australia.

I read your blog you sound well organised, you should be well set.

P.S When you get here you may want broadband on the go. For a price estimate I use Virgin broadband 34 bucks a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Best of luck Dave, rock n roll mate.

Advertisement