Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with landlord

Options
  • 01-02-2010 10:28pm

Recently my landlord moved two girls into the box room in the house I'm currently living. Since they moved in there have been a number of issues with them entering my room while I'm showering. I could never prove this till last friday when after leaving for college and leaving my room unlocked for the first time as my girlfriend had stayed over. No sooner had I left than my girlfriend rang me to inform me that the house mates had entered my room. Stuff has gone missing but I have not been able to prove anything.

I got in contact with him straight away but he told me he was away and would call me on Sunday. No contact from him Sunday he came to collect rent as usual today and told me that I must give a months notice as I signed a contract and he could have a word with the girls about going into my room. I told him that I would be moving asap and not to say anything to the girls as I did not want an even more hostile environment than all ready exists in the house. He went straight to them and asked them about it. He is now texting me saying that I must give a months notice and he will not refund my deposit till the month is up.

He also wants me to pay this months rent and the bills which are due. I have told him to take what I owe from the deposit and will not be paying the months rent. There are a number of other issues with the house including mold which is affecting my asthma and which he is also implying has nothing to do with him.

So do I have any rights here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Can you not put a lock on your bedroom door?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you cant just leave you have to give him notice. The landlord isnt the issue here, you are not providing adequate notice.

Not that whats happened is in anyway right but seriously why in the world would you leave your door unlocked if you suspected people were entering your room. There is no logic to it at all.

Bottom line you have to give proper notice, you have to pay your rent until that time and you also have to pay all bills your responsible for.

If you read back through it I say that I lock my door when ever I leave, I only left it unlocked on Friday as my gf had stayed over and was in teh room. Could hardly lock her in could I?

The other time it happened was when I was in the shower, since then I've been locking my room if I go make a cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can get a alarm that works for doors. But really its just going to be dire living with these people.

The point of the deposit is to cover breakages. If you use it for rent, then theres nothing to cover damages. So thats why using the deposit for rent doesn't work for landlords. That not your contract either. Neither side wants the other straying from the contract.

Sounds like the house is being rented by room and as a house. Which is a bad idea. Thats the root of these problems. You have no shared deposit for the house with the other tenants, so they don't care about your deposit, and you don't care about their deposit. Root of a lot of problems that. Equally none of you care about breaking your contact and leaving the other in the lurch to pay the shortfall in rent, if you had been renting the house and not a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

told me that I must give a months notice as I signed a contract
    Do you have a copy of the contract? What does it say?

As you are only renting a room, I'm not sure if the PRTB will help you. You can however contact Threshold. www.threshold.ie

Do you want to make a complaint to the Garda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Recently my landlord moved two girls into the box room in the house I'm currently living. Since they moved in there have been a number of issues with them entering my room while I'm showering. I could never prove this till last friday when after leaving for college and leaving my room unlocked for the first time as my girlfriend had stayed over. No sooner had I left than my girlfriend rang me to inform me that the house mates had entered my room. Stuff has gone missing but I have not been able to prove anything.

I got in contact with him straight away but he told me he was away and would call me on Sunday. No contact from him Sunday he came to collect rent as usual today and told me that I must give a months notice as I signed a contract and he could have a word with the girls about going into my room. I told him that I would be moving asap and not to say anything to the girls as I did not want an even more hostile environment than all ready exists in the house. He went straight to them and asked them about it. He is now texting me saying that I must give a months notice and he will not refund my deposit till the month is up.

He also wants me to pay this months rent and the bills which are due. I have told him to take what I owe from the deposit and will not be paying the months rent. There are a number of other issues with the house including mold which is affecting my asthma and which he is also implying has nothing to do with him.

So do I have any rights here?

what rights exactly are you looking for?

1) If you want to stay, then make sure you lock your door and/or have a word with the girls entering your room and ask them not to do it.

2) If you want to leave, give your months notice, pay your months rent and bills you owe and leave.

not sure what else are you looking for?

Advertisement