Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a psychotherapist

• 01-02-2010 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi, how would I go about looking for a psychotherapist in the cork area? I have looked at various sites but is it ok to ask here if someone can recommend one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

punches wrote: »
    hi, how would I go about looking for a psychotherapist in the cork area? I have looked at various sites but is it ok to ask here if someone can recommend one?
    My dear Punches, your first port of call should always be your GP. He/she will have the relevant contacts (re: therapists) for you to contact. Most likely, however, your GP will assess you and then contact the therapist him/herself.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭John368

Kevster wrote: »
    My dear Punches, your first port of call should always be your GP. He/she will have the relevant contacts (re: therapists) for you to contact. Most likely, however, your GP will assess you and then contact the therapist him/herself.

Kevin

Doctors are always very careful who they recommend to a patient so do not be too hopeful there.

But as kevin suggests I think your first port of call should be your GP.

The therapy profession in Uk and Ireland as far as I know is totally unregulated. It is not like America where you cannot call yourself a therapist unless you have certain qualifications and are registered.

I once knew a therapist whose only qualification was a few weeks course in counselling and a one or two GCSE's (I knew her socially - not as a client) and she was able to put a brass plaque on her door calling herself a therapist with several letters after her name. The letters referred to membership of little more than a trade association for counsellors.

Sorry I could not be of any more help.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

As you'll see in the stickies above, we cannot allow recommendation of individual therapists or counsellors - there is a list of organisations which provide accreditation, and they are mentioned in the stickied thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement