Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much sleep do you get?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

How much sleep do you manage to get each night?
    Lots of people I know never get a full night's sleep, they wake numerous times and always have broken sleep even on weekends when they dont need to be up early for work etc
    (These are people who have no kids waking them)

I am usually in bed by 11 (straight to sleep) during week and up at 7.30, if I dont get this I cannot function, I am cranky and can hardly concentrate. I sleep straight thru the night. Weekends are different I go to bed later and get up later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

I can't function without 7 hours. Anything less and it's home early from college for a nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

I seem to be needing around 8 hours sleep... I can function with less once I'm awake and sometimes(very rarely though)there'll be a week where I get 5/6 hours sleep ad I'll get away with it... I wish I were able to survive on less all the time...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

I used to get away with 7-8 hours but recently have been having 10-12 hours without even budging? Am I more relaxed or lazy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LucyB

I did run an experiment one summer to see what my optimum sleep was I averaged around the 9hours.

These day though I'd regularly do 6, or 9, or 11....

I never wake from the moment my head hits the pillow to the alarm going off.

I think other factors can come into it though. I changed my diet a while back and was way less tired when waking in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

LucyB wrote: »
    I did run an experiment one summer to see what my optimum sleep was I averaged around the 9hours.

These day though I'd regularly do 6, or 9, or 11....

I never wake from the moment my head hits the pillow to the alarm going off.

I think other factors can come into it though. I changed my diet a while back and was way less tired when waking in the morning.

What diet changes did you make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I used to get by best on six hours. Nowadays, I don't sleep well at all. I think it's a combination of a bed that isn't as great, coupled with the fact that my OH has started working evenings/nights, so I almost always wake up when he gets home. I'm one of those people who wakes numerous times.

It's sad, really, since I used to be such a good sleeper! I'm trying to take these herbal tablets that were recommended to me; I get by tired most of the time and could use a few solid uninterrupted sleep nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rahc

I usually get 6/7 hours sleep a night although I'd prefer about 8. I've recently cut out alcohol and fizzy drinks completely from my diet and find I have so much more energy in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

i used to be such a good sleeper but in the past year or so it is so bad. I rarely sleep all night through. Some nights I lie awake for hours. Def have found that alcohol messes up my sleep completely even for days after a session. Never fall asleep immediately. Usually read for a half hour or so. Any advice gratefully received!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

I used to get away with 7-8 hours but recently have been having 10-12 hours without even budging? Am I more relaxed or lazy?

If I didn't have to work I would sleep for bout 10 - 12 hours. I like to think i'm more of a relaxed kinda person ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I get around 5/6 hours during the week, and 9/10 at the weekend.

I can work on 2/3 hours of sleep alright, I can sleep for a few hours and then function for 21-24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Valerian Tea is great for a good nights sleep. I use Clipper Organic Sleep Easy Infusion. (I get it in Tesco or any good health food shop) It took me a while to get used to the taste but now I really like it.
    Dont drink it during the day tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

I average about 6 hours sleep each night!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I get up at 7am Monday - Friday so I need to get into bed before 10pm the night before, I will read for an hour though. In fact I need to read to get to sleep every night, including nights when I am drunk. I would wake up most nights after a bit of a sleepwalk or a touch of night terrors - not great really. I never feel tired in the morning and function well most days though.

The problem I have is that I can't stay in bed at the weekends, the latest I can stay in bed on a Sat/Sun is 8am. That is true even if I am out on the beer till 3/4 am. Its a real pain in the arse as I would love to be able to stay in bed till lunchtime - I used to be able to do this up until by middle 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

i have a dreadful sleep pattern never go to bed early and when i do i can never get to sleep till really late like around 02:00 or sometimes even 03:30! and i always wake up during the night. And then im like a zombie for the rest of the day! on weekends i am never in bed early but i dont want to be. i say id uaually get around 4-5 hours sleep and on a good night i would be about 8-10. (thats enough for me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Kormeera X wrote: »
    i have a dreadful sleep pattern never go to bed early and when i do i can never get to sleep till really late like around 02:00 or sometimes even 03:30! and i always wake up during the night. And then im like a zombie for the rest of the day! on weekends i am never in bed early but i dont want to be. i say id uaually get around 4-5 hours sleep and on a good night i would be about 8-10. (thats enough for me!)

I am the same... During the week. Maximum of 5 hours sleep and most nights would be 4. I am wrecked when i wake up but once I get out in the air I am fine. By the time I get home from work I am fully awake etc...

Weekends are all over the place depending on what I am up to. Would probably get 8 or 9 hours sleep then (per night).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

At the moment, I'm getting an average of 5/6 hours of interupted sleep. Keep waking up in the middle of the night and waking early.

Pissed off about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I usually get about 8hrs of mostly broken sleep. I'm so used to it now that I can function fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

sleep, i wish i could but with 3 kids its hard . I need at least 8 hours otherwise i get very very grumpy. If i dont get enough sleep i get migraines and then im evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

8 hours or else....

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

Weekdays I am usually in bed for about 1, and asleep by 2, up then at 7.30 after about 10 slaps of the snooze button! So 5/6 hours, and I function great on that. Sunday is my only day off, so I usually get an extra couple of hours sleep then.

I would go mad staying in bed for 10+ hours. I feel like I would have bed sores :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Need2Know4Sure

When not hungover a max of 6 hours per night but would wake 2/3 times each night.

Always have more energy in the mornings than the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I sleep find most nights but have huge bother winding down and then lie in bed for ages which is very frustrating. Once I am asleep I very seldom wake up. If I do ever wake up, I nearly always have a lot of trouble getting back asleep again. In the morning if I've something important to do e.g. work, exam I will have little bother getting up and am fully awake and functional after five min even if I've only had four or five hours sleep. If I've only got lectures I know I can get away with missing, I always turn off my alarm in a semi asleep state and fall straight back asleep till lunchtime meaning I've had around nine hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Im used to getting up in the afternoon but tomorrow im in work at 8 ( 4hours time) and cant sleep..gonna be a long day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I generally sleep very deeply but recently I've been finding it very hard to switch off at night despite feeling absolutely shattered. Then I wake up feeling even more exhausted, however that works. P1sses me off feeling lethargic then for most of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Usually, I'd only sleep for 2 and a half to 5 and a half hours a night and I function very well on that (even long term).

However, 1 - 3 times a month I will get a migraine (hereditary/ photosensitivity) and then I'd be in bed for 13 hours (if I have to go to school) or more. Also, if I eat certain foods (gluten, eggs, yeast) I will be exhausted and I'll get a migraine for 3 - 5 days so then it's 13+ hours as well.

So, it varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Generally asleep before 1am awake at 8 so between 6 and 8 hours i guess i can function on less though.

Advertisement