Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you hire cimera here in Ireland?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I am working on a new production, and I'd like to see the production on a very large screen to give it a test run, to see what the film and sound looks like on a massive screen or in a cinema (No people, and just for 60 mins.)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Some cinema's do hire out their screens for private showings, they ain't cheap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

The IFI and Cineworld do. Do you have a print or are you looking to project from digital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a cinema in Dublin 2 that is only available for private hire. It's somewhere near Merrion Square I believe.

Here it is: http://www.denzillecinema.com/

As people have said - it won't be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

There's also the Sugar Club.

Might be able to get an affordable enough rate off them during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's also the Sugar Club.

Might be able to get an affordable enough rate off them during the day.

Sugar Club's projection system is a bit crap to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Sound wasn't great last time I was in there either actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 singingfish

Hi there,

When you say you want to view your film on a large/cinema screen do you mean you have a film print (35mm) or tape/digital format you want to view?

You can rent a screen from Cineworld for quite reasonable price if you contact them directly about it. They can facilitate if you want to scren from film, or a limited number of digital formats.

A lot of the other cinemas are also generally happy to help filmmakers on an occassional basis. I've certainly known people to get screens in most of the major multiplexs before they open to the public for viewings. Generally (and I can't say this is what they will offer you) the cinemas are happy if you just pay the projectionist a small fee directly for their time helping you.

Denzille Lane is the private cinema in Dublin 2 that was referred to above. That can be relatively expensive as it is their business and they need to make money from it. As such they can't really do things on a "favour" basis.

Alternatively, it could be worth approaching Ardmore Sound based in Ardmore Studios. They have a large cinema sound stage that they use for sound mixing. The people who run it are very friendly and helpful and they may be able to let you have your screening there sometime when they are not busy for a reasonable fee. They can screen from most standard formats, both film and digital.

In general though, the cinemas are much more approachable for this kind of thing than you might think. Its certainly worth asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

What formats are used in a cinema?, do they use a DVD?
    Hi there,

When you say you want to view your film on a large/cinema screen do you mean you have a film print (35mm) or tape/digital format you want to view?

You can rent a screen from Cineworld for quite reasonable price if you contact them directly about it. They can facilitate if you want to scren from film, or a limited number of digital formats.

A lot of the other cinemas are also generally happy to help filmmakers on an occassional basis. I've certainly known people to get screens in most of the major multiplexs before they open to the public for viewings. Generally (and I can't say this is what they will offer you) the cinemas are happy if you just pay the projectionist a small fee directly for their time helping you.

Denzille Lane is the private cinema in Dublin 2 that was referred to above. That can be relatively expensive as it is their business and they need to make money from it. As such they can't really do things on a "favour" basis.

Alternatively, it could be worth approaching Ardmore Sound based in Ardmore Studios. They have a large cinema sound stage that they use for sound mixing. The people who run it are very friendly and helpful and they may be able to let you have your screening there sometime when they are not busy for a reasonable fee. They can screen from most standard formats, both film and digital.

In general though, the cinemas are much more approachable for this kind of thing than you might think. Its certainly worth asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

it might be easier on a hard drive. most of the new films come in on hard drive... ring them up for the right answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

high heels wrote: »
    it might be easier on a hard drive. most of the new films come in on hard drive... ring them up for the right answer...

What would be the format that most film makers would use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

What are you going to film the production on?

Advertisement