Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ORGANIC FARM

• 01-02-2010 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

With REPS now finished ,and god only knows what will happen 2013.I was thinking of joining organic,€212 ha for 2 years ,€106 ha for 3 years.Also 40% grant for machinery.LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Im going to look into it myself in detail over the next few days, il be in touch, for me without reps it seems like almost the only option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 buddylove1

I know it closes on the 15 of May.You also have to complete a 5 day course by the end of Sep.There is a reg fee that has to be payed every year .The amount depends on the size of the farm.I think €550 for 44ha farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

Buddy,
    if you are an all stock farm there are a few issues to mull over before committing to organics.
    (1) Converting your winterhousing facilities.There are minimum floor area requirements and half of that must be solid floor ie cubicles with straw bedding or sawdust OR strawbedded loose housing.The typical all slatted shed will have to be adapted/converted to allow for this

(2)Organic farming planning must be a longterm .

(3) Most enterprises are in demand produce wise esp milk,cereals,vegetables,beef.Lamb is not currently getting much of a premium due to seasonal overproduction ie July to November.

(4) organic farming is a mindset that has to be fully taken on board

Teagasc have dedicated organic advisers based in Grange,Oak Park,Athenry and one down south some where.As a first port of call I suggest you contact your nearest and arrange a visit to assess your farm and possiblly more importantly yourself.Then take it from there.
    Best of luck if you do take the plunge.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 buddylove1

alI have arranged for an inspection in the next 2 weeks.It sound like you are in organics yourself.I would to hear from livestock farmers that are in organics and how it works fo them.I have read all the info available for organic farming ,but I think the only way to get a feel for it is to talk to farmers that are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

Buddy,
    spot on there-started last year.If you go to the IOFGA website you should be able to access the list of members on a county basis and pick out a few that are close to you and most will chat to you and allow you to pick their brains.

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement