Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30kph - Anyone obeying it?

• 01-02-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

It's gonna be hard to do 30kph down the quays and around town

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

i would not fancy it on an SP1,, would have to stay in 1st gear, while playing with the clutch to keep it smooth, then watch the temp overheating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm not looking forward to it at all, my poor ZZR14 doesn't like slow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

As if Motorcyclists obey the rules anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Can barely stick to an 80kph limit, so 30kph would be an absolute joke :D

John_Mc wrote: »

Of course we do ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ding ding!

We have a new contender, John_Mc come step into the ring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Define obey the rules. I indicate before I turn, stop at red lights, slow down and stop for amber, actually accelerate to motorway speeds before joining off the slip ramps, watch out for road signs indicating junctions and dangerous corners ahead, don't drive drunk or tired or on drugs and I have common courtesy for other road users.

So do you think that not obeying speed limits of 50kph on dual carriageways and 30kph on main thoroughfares implemented by counsellors who know nothing on the subject and were basing their decisions on research which is thirty years old in a vain attempt to get votes in the next election makes me a bad guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its time to fit that very small number plate again. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Its time to fit that very small number plate again. :p

must get one made up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

hobochris wrote: »
    must get one made up.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's the couriers who'll break it first, IMO. The ones on push and motorbikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Funny that this if for safety reasons, but motorcycles in bus lanes "technically" aren't allowed even though it's safer?
    Also, if cyclists were such an endangered species, surely helmets for the should be compulsory too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

logic must prevail! damit
    I'd put my money on this law being one of those that aren't enforced. (to save embarrassment for yer man)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Funny that this if for safety reasons, but motorcycles in bus lanes "technically" aren't allowed even though it's safer?
    Also, if cyclists were such an endangered species, surely helmets for the should be compulsory too?

That just proves the cyclist lobby groups are better than MAG or the AA at getting the council to do something.
    I think pedestrians will take more chances crossing in front of traffic at 30 than at 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    That just proves the cyclist lobby groups are better than MAG or the AA at getting the council to do something.
    I think pedestrians will take more chances crossing in front of traffic at 30 than at 50.

Its about time the authorities start throwing their nannyism at the cyclist groupes since they have been getting away with so much for so long.

Perhaps if they started to fine them for recklessness and enforce a helmet law the rest of us would not feel so bad.

Did any of you ever fall off a bicycle at speed ?, its bloody sore :(

I'd rather come off my bike to be honest. I don't know how some of the cyclists get away with the carry on around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

KTRIC wrote: »
    Did any of you ever fall off a bicycle at speed ?, its bloody sore :(

I'd rather come off my bike to be honest. I don't know how some of the cyclists get away with the carry on around the city.
    I used to fall off me bmx and mountainbike all the fecking time. Had a go of a pushbike a few months back and nearly shat meself lol. Dangerous things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

dont want to be all givey uppie about it, but if people are looking for years to get change, and then, on what appears to be a whim, a stupid speed limit for the whole city can be brought in overnight... all feels a bit hopeless doesnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Just visited the MAG Ireland website and it would appear that MAG Ireland have not released a press statements on any issue since August of last year.

I would ask the following questions

1. Are MAG Ireland still functioning?

2. Have they an opinion on the 30KPH City Centre speel limit

3. Which Dublin City Councillors and Officials have they spoken to regarding this and others matters eg, the Bus Gate in College Green etc.

I have emailed a link to MAG Ireland regarding this post and I am quite happy to discuss these and other items with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Its about time the authorities start throwing their nannyism at the cyclist groupes since they have been getting away with so much for so long.

Perhaps if they started to fine them for recklessness and enforce a helmet law the rest of us would not feel so bad.

Yeah, think I might write a few letters to Joe Duffy and a few councellers to get helmets for cyclists made compulsory. Just to piss off the cyclists!

I cycle too, that's the only problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

;)
    ogriofa wrote: »
    logic must prevail! damit
    I'd put my money on this law being one of those that aren't enforced. (to save embarrassment for yer man)

in the past week since its been brought in i honestly havent seen any car / bike / bus / taxi etc obeying it except when in a traffic jam :D

but seriously i find the cyclists to b more dangerous especially when they dont have any lights on their bikes at night:mad: not matter how much livesavers ya do or looking in your mirrors they are just basically invisible until they are right beside you

plus de ****ers do be cycling all over the place lik seriously a cycle lane is der for a reason so use it ;)

anywho even when i do be rolling down the hill on gardner street i am hitting 40 or 50km/h its just a joke

oh and i favour the idea of helmets for cyclists and lights and hi vis too and sure while were at it how bout we just bane them totally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

In my forays through Dublin city over the years I have been hit twice from behind by cyclists wearing ipods. They are a menace. Seen one cream cracker recently tagging a suburban coach, hope the bikes brakes are better stoppers than the coach. :eek:
    When it comes down to it, jaywalkers and cyclists win with this 30 clicks law, the pleasure in motoring or riding is gone completly with this ridiculous speed limit.
    In any other country it would be this group of people who would be fined or cautioned for their dangerous and unsafe behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

not even that. Just stop'em going through red lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I rode down the quays on Friday, lots of cars obeying the limit.
    I wasn't and it felt really weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Define obey the rules. I indicate before I turn, stop at red lights, slow down and stop for amber, actually accelerate to motorway speeds before joining off the slip ramps, watch out for road signs indicating junctions and dangerous corners ahead, don't drive drunk or tired or on drugs and I have common courtesy for other road users.

So do you think that not obeying speed limits of 50kph on dual carriageways and 30kph on main thoroughfares implemented by counsellors who know nothing on the subject and were basing their decisions on research which is thirty years old in a vain attempt to get votes in the next election makes me a bad guy?

Nope - but it could get you penalty points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I proceed as usual in town. Leaving aside the absurdity of the limit, it would not be safe. It would mean staying with crawling traffic rather than filtering. No one seems to comply in spite there possibly being cameras to nab offenders. This measure increases the lack of respect for the road traffic laws that most people have, me included on a fair few things. Somewhat related, I really wish lights on pushbikes were enforced. A fair few cheapskates will ride to a pub without lights, and home the same way, while also somewhat drunk. Finally, I have better chance of finding a unicorn that a MAG representative or MAG action. Protests don't always work, but that is no excuse for MAG to do nothing, which appears to be their present modus operandi, some letters to ministers and councillors possibly excepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Best solution would be for everyone to just ignore it completely. They can't arrest everyone in Ireland after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Since when had the decision anything to do with cyclist lobby groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I never said it wasn't the council decision. I wish MAG had the same kind of influence as the cyclists though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement