Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC in 2011 - will you be studying over the summer holidays?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Not that I will or anything *cough*, will you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

DO NOT STUDY OVER THE SUMMER!

Best piece of advise I ever took from boards.ie

Just cherish the carelessness of the summer and go out on the beer as often as you can afford. There's more than enough time for study in sixth year, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I did last summer, went away on an 8 week holiday and took most books. No stress, just take it easy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ZAUR THE INCRED

Reillyman

..And bare the risk of forgetting some work?
    I assumed looking over your notes (light studying) over the summer would keep your brain focused on the incoming September of this year.

I didn't, and I'm doing fine. I don't think it's really necessary, but I suppose if you've nothing better to do. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, you don't get much time to relax during the holidays in 6th year, so enjoy it while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

ah hello...they're called summer HOLIDAYS for a reason!

studying over the summer now thats saaaaad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

6th year is long enough without adding another 2 or 3 months onto it. There's more than enough time within the school year to study 7 or 8 subjects properly with proper time management and a bit of discipline.

I guess you guys are right. Hmm.
    I keep getting this picture in my mind where I'm going to be far behind when it comes to the amount of knowledge thats required to know for the exams in 2011.

6th year is long enough without adding another 2 or 3 months onto it. There's more than enough time within the school year to study 7 or 8 subjects properly with proper time management and a bit of discipline.

That is, depending on how focused you are. I'm in 5th year and I find it quite hard to study subjects properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

ha. I planned on writing up some notes on chapters we had covered in 5th year but alas, I never opened a book. And while it was a great summer, i do wish i had done a little light study over the summer to keep my mind in check and have some neat concise notes prepared. It would be so helpful to have them now like!
    But whatever you do remember that your priority is summer and having fun, if you can fit in some homework after that, thats great but don't ever ever have your priorities the other way around! That would be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Studying during the summer can only help you. NO-one is saying spending five or six hours in the library but going over some important stuff and getting calculations/equations and all that stuff learned off will take a lot of pressure off during 6th year itself.

All to their own of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

It's pointless studying over the summer, you're not going to remember much of what you covered come June 2011. Just enjoy your summer, and if you really want to do something school related use the time for organising your notes and that sort of thing. Trust me come this time next year, complete folders full of all your neat notes will be much more useful than some half remembered facts from seven months before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I don't think I'm gonna study....

Because I'll have graduated! Muhahahhahahahahahahaahah:D:D:D:D
    Oh dear god, cant wait for June 25th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Someone is getting a little ahead of themselves.
    But really I didn't do a tap and proud of it. You have a whole year to do all that. And then years of college so just have fun during the summer.Broaden your horizons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Eh from when you go back you have roughly 4 1/2 months till your mocks and 8 months to the actual exam so don't throw the thing that "you have a whole year to study after the summer" around. Of course you'll remember stuff that you possibly studied over the summer. If you cant remember that then how are you going to remember stuff from the previous six years?

My advice would be to yes do a small little bit of study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I will be, but then again I'm a dirty, dirty college dropout/LC repeater so I can't really afford to take any chances. It's not the be all and end all if you're coming from fifth year into sixth though. From my experience, all of the important stuff is left 'til sixth year anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Most of those who say they will, wont.

More effort than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Fad wrote: »

True. I have it in my plans regardless.

I plan to do some geography in August because I haven't done a thing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm hoping to organise my notes a bit better and maybe take a few grinds before the year starts just to get ready.

I will definitley be doing some work in Maths, Irish and French at least, I seriously need to pull up my grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

There should be no need to study over the Summer Hols! However, if you feel you don't know your stuff and are struggling with a subject, you should study! If people say it's uncool or something, don't listen-it's your judgment and decision to make!:)

If you're on top of everything, use the Summer as an energy-storer, because the Leaving Cert will be a stressful year and you need a break to re-vitalise yourself after 5th year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

True that, but I'll try anyway. Just some light revision over the summer, hopefully though I'll be too occupied to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Isn't that going a bit far? Summer holidays are meant to be for rest, part time jobs... not study.
    Fair play to anyone who does but as someone said, 6th year is really where the focus on exam techniques and answering styles are taught so your better off just having that calm before the storm period.

I'm a pretty determined guy and to be honest I'm actually going to head out to Easons later on this month and get some Less Stress More Success/Revise Wise revision books. Regardless on what most people say, I can't take my chances with the LC.

BTW, question for you all, when are exam paper books containing the 2010 exam papers published? If I got them sooner I could some exam questions...instead of doing the crappy ones in books or just studying stuff.

jumpguy wrote: »
    BTW, question for you all, when are exam paper books containing the 2010 exam papers published? If I got them sooner I could some exam questions...instead of doing the crappy ones in books or just studying stuff.

I dunno when the books are published, but all the papers are online so you could use them until they are.

I dunno when the books are published, but all the papers are online so you could use them until they are.
    Yeah I know, it's just a pain as you have to print them out, and there's no table telling you which questions are in what year (for example, in biology, if you wanted to know what questions the digestive system is on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Id imagine theyd come out pretty soon after the leaving cert is over and when the new academic year books start showing in the book shops and suppliers. Id say around mid July, August.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm a pretty determined guy and to be honest I'm actually going to head out to Easons later on this month and get some Less Stress More Success/Revise Wise revision books. Regardless on what most people say, I can't take my chances with the LC.

I'm not dismissing your motivation, just lots of people say they will and then, dont. Simple.

As an aside, revision books tend to be kinda useless, there are good ones (Rapid Revision Chemistry is very very good for example) but they are few and far between.

Save your money, make your own notes.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I plan on doing my History Research project over the Summer at some stage. I will be only doing this if I really have nothing else to do. I suppose it would take a little bit of stress of my shoulders in sixth not having to do it. Might do a bit of Applied Maths as well as I'm teaching myself and I'd like to get the course finished before Novemeber next year. If I don't do any over summer,what harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

here's a tip for ya......study a lot for your summer exams in 5th year...they might seem pointless then but when you roll into 6th year you'll be glad you did those extra few hours before the summer since itl all still be in your head,it'ljust need to be brought back to the surface which isn't nowhere near as much effort as learning it from scratch

• Advertisement
Advertisement