Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant Galway city?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hello Galwegians!
    My partner and I are spendin g a weekend in Galway in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone could please recomend a really good restaurant in the city.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Theres any ammount of good restaurants in Galway.

What you looking for?

Pub grub?
    Cheap food?
    The best of the best?
    etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Thanks for replying Black Knight, we're really looking for the best of the best for one of the nights we'll be there anyway, maybe even 2!

My student demeanour means I dont get to sample many of the "best of the best".

Cooks is awful good IMO. Ard Bia was good last time I was there, twas well over a year ago though.

Some other galweegians will be along to give a few more hints, im sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Abalone on Domnick Street is extremely good, my favourite place in town. Cookes on Abbeygate Street is good too.

Had a few meals in The G and wasn't too impressed, nice but didn't live up to the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I really like the malt house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Abalone is the best. Don't go to Oscar's if your recommended it. It has gone downhill a lot recently. It used to be my sisters favourite restaurant but the food, portions and standards just aren't there anymore.
    Abalone on the other hand is always great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Asian Tea House on Mary St. is quality as well. They do Thai, Malaysian etc.

If you like Indian, The Kashmir is the best in Galway. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Enjoy OP.

My three tops for 'really good' for Galway city would be:

Sheridan's on the docks (upstairs - there's a nice pub downstairs)
    Nimmo's (behind the Spanish Arch)
    Cava, Dominick Street

All lovely. First two - not cheap in these R-word times but the best in city IMO. Third - Spanish themed food, a little less expensive, also lovely. Needs to be booked at weekends as some poncey Irish Times reviewer bigged it up.

Outside Galway - White Gables, Moycullen - really lovely but a drive outside city.

Bon apetit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Artisan or Sheridans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Mustard, Vina Mara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

kraggy wrote: »
    The Asian Tea House on Mary St. is quality as well. They do Thai, Malaysian etc.

If you like Indian, The Kashmir is the best in Galway. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Asian Tea House deffo, but them's fightin' words re the Indian:p

I used to be a Kashmir devotee, and love it for atmosphere, but find the food in Eastern Tandoori far superior! The Veg stuff anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Mc Donald's restauraunt shop street.

Make sure to try out the "Big Mac".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

^^^
    You bet me to my supermacs witty comment... I failed.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

martyboy48 wrote: »
    ^^^
    You bet me to my supermacs witty comment... I failed.... :(

I freaking love you man!!!!

We're gonna go to the moon......maaaaannnn!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Thanks! Lots of "food for thought" there! :D As we have 3 nights we'll probably get to a couple of them. I'll let ye know how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Caros wrote: »
    Thanks! Lots of "food for thought" there! :D As we have 3 nights we'll probably get to a couple of them. I'll let ye know how we get on.

Da Tang in Middle street if you like noodles, and da Roberto's in Salthill if you like Italian..

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

I have to say, some of the recommendations would not feature in my list of "best of the best". I do understand, however, that opinions can vary.

This website gives a good run down on restaurants and, with a description for each, you might get a better sense of what each is like.

http://www.ireland-guide.com/discover/placesto.php?aArrQlt[15][]=211&s=Eat&county_id=721&town_id=747&x=32&y=7

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

inisboffin wrote: »
    Asian Tea House deffo, but them's fightin' words re the Indian:p

I used to be a Kashmir devotee, and love it for atmosphere, but find the food in Eastern Tandoori far superior! The Veg stuff anyway.

Sorry Inisboffin, I got to go with Kraggy on this one. Kashmir is far superior to the Eastern tandoori.

Beyond that Nimmos and cava are great. Also bar8 have started food and its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Was there last weekend for 2 nights.. We ate in Kasmir and Fat freddys bistro..
    Enjoyed both of them, food and service was good.. Easy enough on the pocket too!!

If your out in salthill grab lunch in Oslo.. Yumm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Tamarind at the Spanish Arch is lovely if you like Asian food. The staff are nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Tamarind at the Spanish Arch is lovely if you like Asian food. The staff are nice too.

Was looking in there but pocket wise it was not kind.. 20+ for a main..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Galway isnt blessed with many really good eating places. Lots of those mentioned are nice enough but nothing special.

Abalone, nice intimate surroundings, with good local sourced food, good place for two of you

Sheridans on the docks, again nice surroundings, as you would expect from Sheridans the quality of produce is excellent and was impressed when went recently.

Ard Bia/Nimmos building is lovely and while not been for food here for a while have always had a good meal (one of the better places if you are after vegitarian options)

Malt House again usually good quality produce and a nice short but varied menu, usually a good atmosphere in there.

Cant comment on Artisan apart from menu looks good and great location

Then the OK and the bad, the Asian Tea House, Tamarind and the Indians (kashmir, Tulsi etc) are nice enough but not what you would call special.
    Cookes is not good at all, nice surroundings but poor quality ingredients and not that well cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Ard Bia - lovely food, lovely surroundings but the woman who is hostess there will wreck your head so I avoid it.
    Malt House - lovely food, great value on their menu, right in the middle of town.
    Gemelles - used to love it, went there about two months ago and it was rubbish.
    Martines - lovely food and lovely setting.
    Cava - great food, relaxed atmosphere, service a little slow and neglectful
    Kumars - lovely food and a nice warm atmosphere in the indian.
    Tulsi - ditto
    Das Robertos (Salthill) is lovely but a pain to get to

Apparently the chef from Ard Bia has moved to Bar8 so if you fancy lovely food in a pub-grub type atmosphere one night, then I'd go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Da Tang in Middle street if you like noodles,

You'd recommend it? I found it ok but don't think I'd go back again. For a start it was just random veg in my dish rather than the stuff advertised on the menu.

I really like the malt house.
    +1 for the malt house.

Whats KC Blakes like?

+1 for the malt house.

Whats KC Blakes like?

Very pretentious and crappy service.

Sound. Ill not go there so.

Went to the quays a few weeks back. Twas nice, though my steak was a bit on the small side

Sound. Ill not go there so.

Went to the quays a few weeks back. Twas nice, though my steak was a bit on the small side

If you like steak then I'd recommend the malt house. I was there just before Christmas and had the rib-eye steak that is part of their value menu (2 courses for 25euro). It was really well cooked and beautifully seasoned. Highly recommended.

Martines do a great steak as well.

If you like steak then I'd recommend the malt house. I was there just before Christmas and had the rib-eye steak that is part of their value menu (2 courses for 25euro). It was really well cooked and beautifully seasoned. Highly recommended.

I did the same after Christmas. Lovely Rib-eye on their value menu. They had only recently put in their "magic" door to the Kings head, and they gave us 2 vouchers for free drinks.... and then 2 more (by mistake) as we left. It was a good night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Malt House for no nonsense great food, fresh locally sourced ingredients, excellent service and relaxed atmosphere (and often very good value as well.). It'd be my first choice if I had visitors.

Cava for some of the best and most unusual tapas style food I've ever tasted (including places in Spain), a lovely room and fantastic buzz to the place. Service can be indifferent though but it's not a huge issue as it's the kind of place you don't mind spending time in.

Abalone is nice with fantastic food but VERY intimate and lacks a little bit on the atmosphere front. It's the kind of place you feel like you have to talk really quietly or everyone will hear your conversation!

I've heard great things about Sheridans, Artisan is usually excellent and Martine's is always consistently good although the menu isn't overly exciting. Another place I've rediscovered lately is Kirwan's Lane - I was at a christmas party there and the food and service was fantastic.

Galway could do with a few more really interesting, high quality restaurants I'd say. For such a touristy, busy place the general standard of eating places is fairly average...

Advertisement