Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant Galway city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Forgot about Bar 8 - nicely presented food for pub grub for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Was in number 8 for a food a little while ago actually (now that you mention it), wasn't too impressed. Gf was pretty unhappy with her steak. Really we went hoping to get the pie and pint for a tenner deal and it wasn't available. I think no.8 could probably be ok sometimes, but is a bit hit and miss atm anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Myself and the OH had a shocking meal in No. 8 too. What I had was ridiculously salty and greasy and his arrived out to him cold/uncooked in the centre 3 times. Yes they tried to recook it 3 times and still didn't get it right. The excuse given was 'teething' problems; which is a poor excuse for not cooking food properly IMO. Friends of ours had a poor meal there also quite recently.

I certainly won't be in any rush back to No 8 anytime soon tbh; worst food/restaurant experience I've had in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Caros wrote: »
    Hello Galwegians!
    My partner and I are spendin g a weekend in Galway in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone could please recomend a really good restaurant in the city.
    Thank you.

Hi Caros,

You've asked for a "really good restaurant" and "the best of the best".

Sad to say (and I'm a proud Galwegian), that while you'll find adequate and sometimes really tasty food in Galway, Galway is definitely not the place to come for food if you want "the best of the best". To be perfectly honest, there are no restaurants in Galway City that can really compare with the best elsewhere in Ireland.

Some have mentioned "The Malt House", "Cava", "Abalone" etc., and while these serve good wholesome simple food, none serve anything that could be described as creative or inspiring in any way.

If you want to have a solid no nonsense meal, with some good craic, Galway is for you.

If you want fine dining, or you fit that dreaded term of being "a foodie", you'd best go elsewhere (and before someone jumps down my throat I don't just mean Dublin!).

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭LowOdour

The Malt House value saver menu (with the Rib eye as mentioned)...does anyone know until what time is that menu served or is it always available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

Defo try mcswiggans in woodquay, yummy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Was looking in there but pocket wise it was not kind.. 20+ for a main..

I've never paid 20 for a main course there. It's the seafood mains that are over 20. Anyway, the OP said they were looking for the best of the best, not necessarily budget places :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Kashmir FTW if you like your Indian, beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

My top 5 :

Thai Garden....if you like spicy food without MSG

Asian Tea House... as above plus food from Malaysia, Japan etc

Cookes....best non-foreign menu. I'm going there for Valentine's :D

Vina Mara.... although very pricy IMO

Malt House.... funky food

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Kashmir FTW if you like your Indian, beautiful.

Indian is down to a mtter of taste. I prefer Tulsi myself. Grat food and lean lamb. Not the fatty type that bounces around your mouth, which I have encountered during my very seldom visits to Kahmir.

Other than that, McSwiggans for the Smokies as a main course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Where's Tulsi?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Its on Buttermilk Walk between the Head Shop & The Sex Shop (get stoned, have an indian, plug the orifices :D); thats between Middle Street & St. Augustine Street (Dole Office).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I may get shot down, but when i'm bringing people for 'no nonsense' food I bring them out to Padraig'ins (sp?) in Furbo - it's nothing your mother will say the Rosery over, but i've yet to have someone complain about it. It does the job for me when entertaining - fills the belly in a decent fashion without breaking the bank. My only sacrifice is that I can't have a drink because i'm usually the driver when entertaining

Sorry this may not suit you totally as you're looking for "The best of the best" (nonsense IMHO as you don't define 'best')

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I may get shot down, but when i'm bringing people for 'no nonsense' food I bring them out to Padraig'ins (sp?) in Furbo - it's nothing your mother will say the Rosery over, but i've yet to have someone complain about it. It does the job for me when entertaining - fills the belly in a decent fashion without breaking the bank. My only sacrifice is that I can't have a drink because i'm usually the driver when entertaining

Sorry this may not suit you totally as you're looking for "The best of the best" (nonsense IMHO as you don't define 'best')

Good spot for Sunday lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Yes actually we've been out to Pádraicíns a few times and have never had a bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

ErnieBert wrote: »
    My top 5 :

Thai Garden....if you like spicy food without MSG

Asian Tea House... as above plus food from Malaysia, Japan etc

Cookes....best non-foreign menu. I'm going there for Valentine's :D

Vina Mara.... although very pricy IMO

Malt House.... funky food

The Asian food in Galway (whether Indian, Thai, Chinese) is at best average compared to what it should be. And sorry but I know you are off there for Valentine and its a lovely spot but the food at Cookes is well down on a list of places to eat in Galway.

One other place I had forgotten about that is a good place to go for food and a bit of an occasion is the Pullman restaurant at Glenlo Abbey.

Padraigins have a service where they'll collect you, bring you to Padraigins, and drop you off when you're going home. Kind of a free taxi service for customers. Not sure if they go in as far as town though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Pretty sure padraigins and the quays serve from identical menus, not sure if they're owned by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Blank_

I would strongly recommend BKs close to Spanish Arch.
    Good French food and for different budgets (it can be very expensive for some dishs but Im always be happy with the "3 courses menu" for 15€!). Nice atmosphere for couples as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

since you've been brought out to County Galway with a few of the last posters then you should consider The White Gables in Moycullen. If a special occasion is on the cards look no further. Great food, great atmosphere, very friendly staff- not cheap by any means but definitely imho the "best of the best" in Galway (if you include a spin 6miles out).

A lot of other posters were noting that Galway doesn't have an outstanding restaurant (in the city) but what it does have is a lot of perfectly good places to eat and lots more of the "won't break the bank" type than most other places I know of in Ireland. For the size of the population it's outstanding

• Advertisement

nerophis wrote: »
    A lot of other posters were noting that Galway doesn't have an outstanding restaurant (in the city) but what it does have is a lot of perfectly good places to eat and lots more of the "won't break the bank" type than most other places I know of in Ireland. For the size of the population it's outstanding

Can't say I agree. Think of Dungarvan, Kinsale, Kenmare, Cavan, and closer even, Cong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

churchview wrote: »
    Padraigins have a service where they'll collect you, bring you to Padraigins, and drop you off when you're going home. Kind of a free taxi service for customers. Not sure if they go in as far as town though.
    Will remember this if I ever decide to go on a session out there :D
    since you've been brought out to County Galway with a few of the last posters then you should consider The White Gables in Moycullen. If a special occasion is on the cards look no further. Great food, great atmosphere, very friendly staff- not cheap by any means but definitely imho the "best of the best" in Galway (if you include a spin 6miles out).
    Ate there once and have to say I really enjoyed it, from what I can recall (it was my birthday and drank more than I care to think about) it was really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I would have to disagree. Ate there once for a special occasion and it was not a good experience, espcecially when you consider their prices. I didn't understand what all the fuss was about, the food was average at best and it was not even a busy night (not that it should come into it in a good restaurant).

Unfortunately my sister still wanted to try it last year and she had a similar disappointing experience. I would be interested to hear otherwise but anyone I know who has been in the last 3-4 years have not been happy with it.

As for a place to eat...I would have to recommend Abalone...top class food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Blank_ wrote: »
    Good French food and for different budgets (it can be very expensive for some dishs but Im always be happy with the "3 courses menu" for 15€!). Nice atmosphere for couples as well.

Yes, it's a great little spot alright and hard to beat the prix fixe menu you mentioned! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Anyone have an online link to BK's menu? Have never been there, tempted to give it a go if there's 3 courses for 15 bucks :)

Blank_ wrote: »

BK's of course! I've only popped in for a glass of wine of late. Specials change, a lot. Couldn't find an online one myself.
    Not a mecca if you're veggie (even has a warning on the old menu for veggies!), but there is usually a fritatta or something similar at least.
    Lovely atmosphere, there's often music at weekends, and the musicians do quieter sets but rock it up as the night goes on, so don't plan a quiet dinner at the front table if you go in late. It is NOT fast food, and when busy they take a while. Not the place for a quick dinner, but brilliant to do a slow one over good wine.

Not everyones fave, but Tamarind has ALWAYS been excellent for me, and the staff lovely. If you get a good table, it is very pleasant.

Ard Bia / Nimmos can be quite special, depending on their menu, but I have a special fondness for the building and the atmosphere too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

McSwiggans - best cajun fillet steak in the country. Their other food is savage too, although I've never tried anything other than the steak there. I've been about 50 times at this stage. My favourite place to eat in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Kashmir is ok but when I asked if they did Saag Shrimp they looked at me like I had two heads. They do Saag Chicken and they do other shrimp dishes... most indian restaurants aren't totally bound to their menus since the dishes are a bit modular.

Then they looked like my two heads had grown a third eye when I asked if they did Chai.

Anyway, that's my complaint. I prefer Eastern Tandoori since then, tbh. Their Chai is lovely, and the waiters are Indian so they know what I'm talking about when I ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

You should consider Abalone,great food and nice quiet atmosphere.If you are willing to make the trip White Gables in Moycullen is excellent and for some Italian try Da Roberta in Salthill.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    Kashmir is ok but when I asked if they did Saag Shrimp they looked at me like I had two heads. They do Saag Chicken and they do other shrimp dishes... most indian restaurants aren't totally bound to their menus since the dishes are a bit modular.

Then they looked like my two heads had grown a third eye when I asked if they did Chai.

Anyway, that's my complaint. I prefer Eastern Tandoori since then, tbh. Their Chai is lovely, and the waiters are Indian so they know what I'm talking about when I ask questions.

Ah the old 'chai test'!:p
    Yeah, that happened to me too. Even in Eastern Tandoori they did ask twice what I meant by chai* a couple of times, but finally the delicious liquid appeared.
    *(as 'chai' just really translates as 'tea' - so I asked for 'masala'/'spiced' chai)

The Saag Paneer is my litmus test tbh, I am veerrrry fussy about it. Kashmir's SP is way too oily and a little bland, though their paneer itself is good. ET's is way better spiced IMO. But I know friends swear preference about some dishes in Kashmir, and some in ET and Tulsi.

Kumars is pretty inside and staff are nice....emm...

Advertisement