Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

netopia router and a multiple SSID

• 01-02-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

hello, well i was always wondering, what is this made for (multiple SSID) ? i can enable up to 4 ssid's , yeah ok, but does it means that my speed will be shared between them other ssids or it will be the same? like for exp i have 7mb speed broadband, if i create another ssid , will they share the 7mb, like 3.5mb each ssid or it be the same, if it will be the same, so i dont really understand what is a purpose of this feature, please explain

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

lisij wrote: »
    hello, well i was always wondering, what is this made for (multiple SSID) ? i can enable up to 4 ssid's , yeah ok, but does it means that my speed will be shared between them other ssids or it will be the same? like for exp i have 7mb speed broadband, if i create another ssid , will they share the 7mb, like 3.5mb each ssid or it be the same, if it will be the same, so i dont really understand what is a purpose of this feature, please explain

The 7Mb broadband will be shared by the all devices using the wireless router to connect to the internet, whether they are all using the same SSID or multiple ones to connect to the internet gateway doesn't really matter. Each SSID would not have fixed portion of bandwith, but it would be shared on demand so to speak.

I can't really think of any reason for using up multiple SSIDs in a home network TBH, it would usually be in a larger organisations where there is a need for multiple networks with different security permissions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭lisij

marco_polo wrote: »
    The 7Mb broadband will be shared by the all devices using the wireless router to connect to the internet, whether they are all using the same SSID or multiple ones to connect to the internet gateway doesn't really matter. Each SSID would not have fixed portion of bandwith, but it would be shared on demand so to speak.

I can't really think of any reason for using up multiple SSIDs in a home network TBH, it would usually be in a larger organisations where there is a need for multiple networks with different security permissions etc.

ok thanks for ypur reply, thats explains everithing to me...
    offtopic:
    im curently looking for an app that could split my bandwith, but unfortunately can't find one, the only app that i found was net limiter, but this is not what i am seeking, cause the app need to be installed on both pc, there reason im looking for such an app, cause im sharing my broadband with another person leaving with me, and when ever he starts to download from torrents, well you know whats happens,just to talk with a person is not an option, cause he pays the same price as i do, and the best option is to split the bandwith... so if any one out there knows of any app that could to this, please recommend it to me

Advertisement