Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel sad about this situation.

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I found out recently about two young lads from the same family that I knew awhile back: I'll call them John and Michael for the sake of anonymity.

They are both in jail now for crimes commited. John got busted whilst attempting to steal a car, he broke down in desperation at the guarda station during this process (a cry for help in my opinion) and admitted further crimes at the station and subsequently recieved a sentence.

Michael was convicted recently for a vicious crime a shocking stabbing in Cork that was recently shown in the Echo.

What makes me sad about this is that I knew both lads via their involvement socially with my 'decent' family previously. Their Mam and dad were a bit messed up in my view but their indirect involvement with my family and myself was helpful to them.

Point in fact John baked a cake for my nephew. The fella had potential as a chef and I have to say he was a chap with potential in this area. Michael had an interest in mechanics, his 'dad' bought a clapped out machine, motorbike that sat in his back yard.

I worked with the bike with Michael, the chap definately had potential and a great enduring personality combined with a talent and interest in mechanics. I gave him my adjustable spanner and told him to keep it. The fella was amazed and v.grateful. His reaction was almost like he was shocked that someone would take the interest and just give away something.

Unfortunately myself and my family lost contact with these lads due to simple moving on issues etc. The dad 'father figure' also moved on. The chaps were left to their own devices with no guidance and ended up in jail for the above mentioned crimes.

I feel sad about hearing this outcome as in a way I think that a difference could have been made to these guys lives if only they had decent adults in their lives on a continuous basis.

It makes me think and realise what a difference a responsible adult i.e. parent can actually make to a young persons life. And indeed how an irresponsible parent can do exactly the opposite.

I actually feel a bit guilty on hindsight, in future I think I will try to do a bit more and try to do more to help.

Advertisement