Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexico in October

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,

we're getting married in late October 2010 and have finally decided on 10 night in an all inclusive resort and then back to new york for a few nights to go crazy.

everything about mexico looks great but we are slightly concerned about the rain season. i accept that when it rains it pours but how often could you expect rain. is sitting on a chair by the beach a runner or will it be a no no?

any advice would be really appreciated.

thanks,

mr_edge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thecons

If it's any help, we were there on our honeymoon first 2 weeks in September (won't reveal how long ago!). Rainy season in September too. It did rain a few times, for about 5 minutes at a time and strangely enough never during the day. I do remember sitting on beach front restaurants watching lightening storms at sea (amazing!) thinking we'd be washed out of it next day but it never happened.

Anyway, you'll be on your honeymoon, if it rains, I'm sure you'll find something to do....! Enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Thanks for replying. A bit of rain here and there'd be alright. Just don't want it to be a total washout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Thanks for replying. A bit of rain here and there'd be alright. Just don't want it to be a total washout.

where in Mexico are you going? The rain season tends to vary place to place and as its such a large country with such varied altitudes etc, its hard to say.

I live in Mexico City [Distrito Federal or Cuidad México on maps]. Come september I expect rain every day for 5 or 6 weeks. Whilst some days the rain only lasts say 5 minutes at a time, it does tend to be 5 minutes hard, jungle-like rain then it stops and dries up then starts again an hour or two later. Other days it can be raining jungle rain all day and night. But like I say thats Mexico City. If you have booked in at a resort i presume you mean Cancun and thats a whooooole different story.

Sorry i couldnt be more help...if i hear anything about your resort if you mention it, ill post it up.

But i wouldnt worry if i were you, normally on the resorts at sea level itll be warm enough that you can still enjoy some good weather in between showers etc. The water dries up super fast so most Mexicans dont even bother with umbrellas during September/October since they know if they get wet, theyll be dry within not too long, and theres so many cool places to see in Mexico that really... the rain wont really matter, it isnt like Irish rain that hurts when it hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

thanks for that odonnell. it is cancun we are looking at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

thanks for that odonnell. it is cancun we are looking at!

ah well...in Cancun you will be well and truly into the rainy season. Up here it starts around september and finishes up around the beginning of December gradually decreasing in severity around November until theres none at all, but down in Cancun the rainy season is a month later. October is supposed to rain pretty much everyday and thatll generally range from monsoon to light shower. Then the sun will come out, heat everything up for a few minutes...then rain rain rain :)

Dont worry though, if youre all booked up I wouldnt fret - theres plenty nice things to do down there im told and though ive never been Im well aware of it being an absolutely gorgeous area of the country so you might actually be inspired to go out and explore rather than stay on the beach for 10 days! Even though it rains, its still desperately hot down there.

Sorry if i wasnt much help mate but try not to fret too much - in Mexico the rain only makes things a bit wet is all...and it isnt miserable rain like you and i would be used to from home. Make sure you cost for Dublin prices too...theyre crafty down there and charge a fortune. Heres a wee site on the weather... http://www.travelyucatan.com/info-5-1.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement