Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siucra Sugar still grown in Ireland??

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Is this the case?

Saw three different brands in Spar - two had guaranteed Irish label on them, the Siucra bag didn't and it doesnt seem to state on the Siucra bag that the sugar comes from Ireland?

It would be ironic if the brand with the Irish language name imported their raw material!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

AFAIK Greencore has sold both Carlow and Mallow sugar plants and imports cane sugar now,the two plants are both Idle IIRC. Hardly guaranteed Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There has been no sugar produced in Ireland since around 2005, ater the Gov. ( Mary Coughlan) sold the industry down the tubes at an EU meeting:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TEDDY O KEEFFE

The Irish Sugar Company// Greencore sold their Sugar business to Nordzucker a German sugar manufacturer last year , The Siucre brand is up to 30 cent dearer than the other brands and more than likely all the sugar is coming out of the same packer , The Irish Shopper is being fooled to pay extra for an Irish name . Greencore and Nordzucker kept the deal as quiet as they could so as not to draw notice to what you have seen for yourself,

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

What was Mary Coughlan's involvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There has been no sugar produced in Ireland since around 2005, ater the Gov. ( Mary Coughlan) sold the industry down the tubes at an EU meeting:eek:
    I think it was meant to be totally non-viable and so should have been scrapped ages ago, most would say the sugar from beet is inferior compared to cane sugar which could be imported cheaper from S. America. It would be similar to growing pineapples here under grow lights, and subsidising farmers to do so just so they can keep a job -find something else to grow suited to the actual country!

I remember hearing one power station in the west took more energy to fuel it than what it could output, i.e. trucks were delivering fuel etc, it was just kept going to keep people in jobs -when really it should have changed to something else and give them jobs actually worth doing. That Penn & Teller show Bull*hit! had a name for such jobs.
    It would be ironic if the brand with the Irish language name imported their raw material!
    I always wonder what people in the gaeltacht think of those corny names -suicra, madra, fiacla, solus. They must cringe going into the local shops, I'll have a bag of sugar sugar, tin of dog, tube of teeth and a light light bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I have the spec for Siucra caster on file...but AFAIK its processed in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Coincidentally we were talking about this in work earlier in the week.

After a brief google I found this.

Sooo according to that article the Germans can grow sugar beet as a viable enterprise but not the Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sooo according to that article the Germans can grow sugar beet as a viable enterprise but not the Irish?

If that's what it says, why would you think they could not?

If that's what it says, why would you think they could not?
    Because this was posted above:
    I think it was meant to be totally non-viable and so should have been scrapped ages ago, most would say the sugar from beet is inferior compared to cane sugar which could be imported cheaper from S. America. It would be similar to growing pineapples here under grow lights, and subsidising farmers to do so just so they can keep a job -find something else to grow suited to the actual country!

• Advertisement
Advertisement