Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spend my money (with a difference...)

• 02-02-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to go away for a weekend.

away from the internet, away from my phone, away from girlfriend etc etc. where it's just me, my 5D, my 450D and a couple of CF/SD cards.

I'd like to hear about boardsies favourite places in europe where they got some great shots - maybe with some examples.

money isn't really an object but i'd like to keep it in europe and no death camps to be quite honest mainly because i feel i could never take a photo at the places of such tragedies and preferably somewhere i've not been... which is prague, stockholm, rome, london.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

If you want to be alone for the weekend http://www.teachjohnny.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm going to Bruges in a few weeks, it looks absolutely beautiful and obviously I've no shots as of yet, but from what I've seen I'm excited about going there.

Was in Paris last year and that city is utterly stunning, really want to get back there at some stage soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Inishcrone Co. Sligo. 6 mile long sandy beach, fantastic food, Co. Mayo just few minutes drive, surfing, hot seaweed baths, ocean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

depends what you are into

Berlin, Stockholm, Barcelona, Lisbon are all good

for me if I am enjoying the weekend the photography will flow naturally

have a browse at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bizboz/collections/72157621963540769/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i woud never reccommend barcelona to anyone. 3 times been there, each someone got pickpocketed...

try the nordic countries, something a bit different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I wouldn't even think of bringing expensive camera equipment into Barcelona. All I've ever heard from people who've been there is that they've either been robbed, almost robbed or have been warned that they're going to be robbed. Not worth the risk whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Rb wrote: »
    I wouldn't even think of bringing expensive camera equipment into Barcelona. All I've ever heard from people who've been there is that they've either been robbed, almost robbed or have been warned that they're going to be robbed. Not worth the risk whatsoever.
    i woud never reccommend barcelona to anyone. 3 times been there, each someone got pickpocketed...

try the nordic countries, something a bit different

Such a pity, cause it is a nice place. I was there 2yrs ago had no problems and I was on my own. Mind you I didnt have a SLR. Most of the pick pockets work in gangs so you can spot em, bit harder on the underground as it tends to be one person.

I wouldnt tell anyone not to go there just have your wits about you and dont be a silly tourist with tons of stuff hanging off you, or hanging around looking a the street proformers you make yourself such an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

i beg to differ about barcelona,i travel to barca regularly with work,my next visit will be my 11th time,i've never been pickpocketed or had any near misses,all in all i've felt safer walking the streets of barcelona with my laptop bag and my camera bag @ 4am in the morning than i would feel in dublin,maybe i've just been lucky ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

How about Florence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Vienna, Budapest or Bratislava would be my suggestions. If you wanted to make a week of it you can fly into Budapest get a ferry along the danube, stopping off in Bratislava for a night or two and then fly out of Vienna... Did it back in 2007 before I had a decent and would love another shot at it with my 450!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hey guys.

Thanks all for your feedback.

I want to get out of Ireland, I have access to holiday homes in both Donegal and Galway so I've no shortage of places to go in Ireland.

Berlin sounds great, and also Scandinavian countries, I've been to Sweden so that's probably a no no for the moment.

Florence is on my list of places to go, but considering Italy was the last place I had a holiday in Europe I think I'd need to leave it a bit before I go back there.

Thanks for the tips on Barcelona, I'd really like to go there but there's no way I'd feel safe with the guts of 7 grand on my back.

Has anyone been to Iceland? I've always loved to go, but always thought of it as too expensive, but I have just priced it up and got flights and 5 star hotel for 550 euro for 5 nights which is a steal if I do say so myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

How about the South of France?

Maybe fly into Marseille and then stay in various locations along the south coast from say Bandol / Hyeres then drive along the coast to Saint-Tropez, Frejus, Cannes, Nice, Monte Carlo and then came back in land to some of the ski resorts, the Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, lakes, Gorges du Verdon etc... Some amazing driving & stunning landscapes up there.

In terms of accommodation, you can go as cheap or expensive as you like. From 5 star camp sites, cheap no frills formula1 hotels or some of the more luxurious hotels along the coast.

From Nice you are only a 45 minute drive to the border of Italy if you want to take a drive down the coast that way. From Nice you can also take a ferry trip to Corsica or if flying into Marseille you could continue further south towards North Spain, Andorra etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Rb wrote: »

I've been there 9 times, all camera gear (about 5 or 6 grand), BMX bike (about 2 grand) and slept rough a few times in the hills and never got robbed or lost a thing. It's how you look after your stuff over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Switzerland. Or the French border.

You have cities, towns, and landscape. The lakes and mountains along the border are incredible and you can get a train up to a glacier (forget the name now) with all year round snow. So if you want variety in your photos then thats what I would suggest.

My personal favourite photos are from Morocco, not really Europe but Ryanair fly there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Transylvania, amazing architecture, beautiful countryside and great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

Hey guys.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Has anyone been to Iceland? I've always loved to go, but always thought of it as too expensive, but I have just priced it up and got flights and 5 star hotel for 550 euro for 5 nights which is a steal if I do say so myself.

I'm hoping to do a few long weekends by myself over the year too. (time and money permitting).
    A few places that i have on my wish list are Oslo, Paris, Berlin, Reykjavik and London. Or possibly go inter-railing in the summer for a week/two.

If i was you i'd grab the trip to Iceland. Thats sounds like a good price, but i've heard that it was pretty pricey there in regards to food and drink. I think the only main problem would be the transport. If you could manage your trip around the season for the northern lights it would be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i also beg to differ about barcelona. i used to live there a few years ago and regularly wandered round on my own at dusk and night time with a camera. was there last november and wandered round on my own a fair bit too with 2 slr's and a bag full of kit. i'd rather walk down la rambla at 2am than o'connell street in dublin any time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Slovenia FTW.

If you go to Ljubliana its a great little city, lots of interesting stuff happening if cities are your bag, but just a short train ride away is Lake Bled, probably one of the more spectacular bits of scenery I experienced on my interrail trip... PLus you have the Slovenian Alps not too far away... It's somewhere not many people think of but it's really great.

I always love Paris, and Berlin is pretty great too. Lots of street performers in Berlin.

I wanna go on holiday now. :(

Advertisement