Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey tips please!!

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

How's it going? I'm trying to find a 60th birthday present and I need some help!!! I want to get a nice bottle of whiskey and know that the birthday boy loves his Lagavulin 16 and special edition, also likes Macallan 18 but I want to get something special while not blowing the bank to bits!!! Any suggestions from whiskey lovers out there?? And as a sub-question, would ye know any good places to buy it in galway? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

robbbbo wrote: »
    How's it going? I'm trying to find a 60th birthday present and I need some help!!! I want to get a nice bottle of whiskey and know that the birthday boy loves his Lagavulin 16 and special edition, also likes Macallan 18 but I want to get something special while not blowing the bank to bits!!! Any suggestions from whiskey lovers out there?? And as a sub-question, would ye know any good places to buy it in galway? Thanks!

There's a few Lagavulin distiller's editions available, but I don't know if you'd get them in Galway.

Here's a link to a lot of Lagavulins... http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/SearchDetail.aspx?txtKeywords=lagavulin

... also Macallan and Lagavulin 16 are worlds apart, except for the sherry influence, particularly in the older Macallans. So maybe something matured or finished in a sherry butt might be suitable.

Something like a Glenfarclas, Glengoyne 21, some of the Bowmores, Ardbeg Uigedail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

i'd go with the ardbeg too, cask strength if you can find it, had an interesting one recently...also like springbank and laphroaig...

This would be a lovely gift, I think - http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11355.aspx

It's a limited edition. Would cost about 100 euro, including postage. I have a few of them, but they haven't been delivered yet. Highland Park is a great distillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

robbbbo wrote: »

Hi Robbbbo, buy the sounds of it he likes a variety of Whiskey. Does he drink any Irish whiskey ... just to give an indication of how wide his taste.

If he has a few different likes it is reasonable to suggest he'd like to try a different whisky.

Anyway Harvest in Raven Terrace is probably your best best for a decent selection. That's the one over the bridge from quay street going towards Monroe's/Roisin Dubh.

The last time I was in there they had one remaining gift set of 4 x 200ml Johnny Walkers (I bought the other ;) ). This is an excellent gift set and equates to just over 1 full bottle. It contains Johnny Walker Black (12yo) Green (All Malt 15yo) Gold (18yo) and Blue (Which is their €150Euor Plus most exclusive bottling) That would be excellent as it has a bit of every thing and very reasonable at €75 which is cheaper than in the UK. One of the few times I've seem a price like this in Ireland.

May not have the impact your looking for though. When do you have to get this by ... I'll be in there on Saturday if you want me to have a look for you and give you any ideas. As I said if you could list as many whiskies that you know he has drank it will help greatly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement