Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting stuff to Oz - one for the migrants..

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Anyone that moved to Australia (not Drinking Holiday Visa people) posted personal belongings by An Post?
    Did you complete an Unaccompanied Effects Statement (B534 form)?

I want to post 2 archive boxes to Oz, one full of clothes, the other with DVD/CD cases (digipaks), cd covers, various bits and bobs.
    Nothing of great value, only to me. Nothing illegal or dangerous.

Anyone experience of this, do I complete that form? what do I do with it?
    Do I have to pay a customs clearance agent?
    I am confused...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

m@cc@ wrote: »

I have read that page and others, I can use google. I am still no wiser..
    I am looking for peoples experiences of moving stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Stick it in a box and post it....

I was back home at Xmas and I sent out some personal stuff and Xmas Presents in a large box (16KG)

plus a dismantled Bicycle in another.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Stick it in a box and post it....

I was back home at Xmas and I sent out some personal stuff and Xmas Presents in a large box (16KG)

plus a dismantled Bicycle in another.

Nice one, will do that. I have 16kg to post also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pod76

I used the below shipping a few years ago, took 6 weeks to get to Hobart.
    http://www.irishshipping.com/new/index.htm

Albeit I was shipping small furniture/computers/servers/paintings as. We sent 2 palates over for E600 at the time. We packed/dropped off and they provided boxes/bubble wrap.

I recently had some items sent from Ireland via an Post sea mail and 2 X boxes c 20 kg and it was about $150. Will take the same about of time as shipping but won't have the extra week of quarantine that this island (Tasmania) in the arse end of no where puts on everything [having a bad internet day - not many good ISPs]. Saying that I just got a quote for two bottles of wine for $42 to Ireland from Aus post.

Weigh up the costs of shipping clothes to buying and you may find that it's not worth it.

p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

I used Excess Baggage Company over a year ago, found them to be fairly cheap, here's the link - http://www.excessbaggage.ie/about.htm.
    They are in a couple of Irish airports.
    You just give a description to them of the contents of each box. It took about 10 days for the boxes to get to Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Royal Mail may be cheaper than An Post.

ballooba wrote: »
    Royal Mail may be cheaper than An Post.

Royal Mail operate from the UK, time and money is involved in getting to Belfast.

An Post are cheap enough compared to some, it'll cost approx €150 for my 16kg split into 2 boxes, €115 for the wifes 14kg in 1 box.

Careline gave a quote for the 30kg for €590, crazy money, and it would take 3 months..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I just checked on their websites.

For a 20kg Parcel

An Post €130 Standard, €135 Registered - Both are 9/10 days.

Royal Mail £139.49 Standard (from 42 days) Global value £160.99 (from 6 days)

I would go with AnPost Registered on those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Anyone that moved to Australia (not Drinking Holiday Visa people) posted personal belongings by An Post?
    Did you complete an Unaccompanied Effects Statement (B534 form)?

I want to post 2 archive boxes to Oz, one full of clothes, the other with DVD/CD cases (digipaks), cd covers, various bits and bobs.
    Nothing of great value, only to me. Nothing illegal or dangerous.

Anyone experience of this, do I complete that form? what do I do with it?
    Do I have to pay a customs clearance agent?
    I am confused...

Mate ditch most of this stuff, at least go leave it boxed with a mate and send it later. I have tons of boxs within sight of me now I have not even opened after 1.5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Looks like Royal Mail weight limits are quite low, then you have to use Parcel Force.

Royal Mail are cheaper than An Post in many cases, but Parcel Force is more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nevaeh84

What about posting a laptop to OZ ???

we're travelling down thru china etc.. and would prefer not to be carrying it the whole way down..

Do you think posting a laptop would be safe? Can do AnPost or Royal Mail-which is cheaper???

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Excess Baggage Company are pretty much the cheapest, I used them before, the goods(a few heavy boxes, of everything and anything) got to Oz within 10 days. The only thing they don't accept is musical instruments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NTHOM

Mail Boxes Etc. Killarney are doing a special rate with Fedex Economy to Australia. Worth a call. They will also do your personal effects entry.

Advertisement