Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus

• 02-02-2010 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying a 1.6 Ford Focus. Am looking at buying up North as I think I'll probably save a few quid. Can anyone recommend a garage up there? What type of Focus would you recommend? I don't need anything too sporty - just something comfortable, good mpg, reliable and 5 doors!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What year? What budget, petrol or diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The focus titanium ghia (with the sports pack) model is what I would pick, lots of extras, trim etc. The diesel version is very economical 50+mpg quoted. That's the new model mk3 ('09) if you don't count the face lift versions (mk1.5 / mk2.5).
    Sports Pack comes with many extras, iPod connection and Upgraded Sony CD Stereo including voice activated hands free bluetooth phone system. front and rear electric one touch windows, front and rear centre arm rests, ABS, Traction control. Upgraded Alloy Y spoke wheels, Audio remote control, Electric & heated door mirrors, sun protection glass to rear and side windows, heated back and front windows, Front fogs, Full alarm and immobiliser, all electric..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hal1 wrote: »
    The focus titanium ghia (with the sports pack) model...

Doesn't exist afaik.

LX/Style
    Zetec
    Ghia
    Titanium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Should have had a /, as I meant either of the two :). New or second hand OP (year tbh)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

From wikipedia:
    Trim levels:
    The main trim levels of the pre-facelift Focus Mk 2 in the United Kingdom are listed below. For other countries, the range is either a cut down version of this list (e.g., for New Zealand) or it is almost completely different altogether (e.g., for South Africa, or Australia, which continues to use the old CL/LX/Zetec/Ghia trim levels)

Studio (Base model)

LX (as Studio, adds air-conditioning)

Style (as LX, adds alloy-style wheel trims, front fog lights and a sports steering wheel)

Sport (as Style, adds alloy wheels)

Zetec (as Sport, adds Sport Suspension, sport seats and various interior/exterior styling enhancements)

Zetec Climate (as Zetec, adds Quikclear heated front windscreen)

Ghia (adds auto-dimming rear-view mirror, Quikclear heated front windscreen, front fog lights, a number of interior styling enhancements and only model to have Cruise Control as standard)

Titanium (adds Sony CD/MP3 player as standard, privacy glass and sports seats)

From September 2006, Ford revised the standard trim specifications slightly, to allow for the introduction of further options called X-Packs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mullingar wrote: »
    From wikipedia:

Trim levels:
    The main trim levels of the pre-facelift Focus Mk 2 in the United Kingdom are listed below. For other countries, the range is either a cut down version of this list (e.g., for New Zealand) or it is almost completely different altogether (e.g., for South Africa, or Australia, which continues to use the old CL/LX/Zetec/Ghia trim levels)

Studio (Base model)

LX (as Studio, adds air-conditioning)

Style (as LX, adds alloy-style wheel trims, front fog lights and a sports steering wheel)

Sport (as Style, adds alloy wheels)

Zetec (as Sport, adds Sport Suspension, sport seats and various interior/exterior styling enhancements)

Zetec Climate (as Zetec, adds Quikclear heated front windscreen) ...and bizzarely also have a/c :D

Ghia (adds auto-dimming rear-view mirror, Quikclear heated front windscreen, front fog lights, a number of interior styling enhancements and only model to have Cruise Control as standard)

Titanium (adds Sony CD/MP3 player as standard, privacy glass and sports seats)

From September 2006, Ford revised the standard trim specifications slightly, to allow for the introduction of further options called X-Packs.

Minor correction.

Henry,

It does not need to be corrected as it practically states that a/c is standard from the LX spec up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

my budget is €7,000 tops. Don't need it for work but would only have a few short trips e.g. to the shop, gym etc during the week and a longish trip home (250km each way) at weekends (once a month at the very most)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

The Focus is supposed to be very reliable so its a goos choice.I hear the 1.4 is very sluggish so defo go for the 1.6....its a ace car once it has a nice pair of alloys,thinking of getting one myself.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Tip : Don't just pick a Ford Focus to buy, have a few cars to choose from.
    I am looking to buy a diesel Skoda or Volkswagen or anything in that price bracket in Belfast soon.

All the car dealers are based in Boucher Road, very handy industrial estate just off the M1. Must be about 10 or more car dealers all based there, you can look at them all in a few hours.

The importing thing is very easy, I did it before with a motorbike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

what would be the net savings after VRT etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I have a 1.6diesel LX but it has alloys/sunroof/fogs as extras when i bought it. It's the 90bhp version but is still plenty nippy. Has been very reliable, nice to drive, roomy. On the negative side the brakes aren't amazing (esp handbrake).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't rule out buying down here either, these cars are plentiful and can bought for decent money.

A few examples:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200941195464430

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201003196660661

I have a 1.6diesel LX but it has alloys/sunroof/fogs as extras when i bought it. It's the 90bhp version but is still plenty nippy. Has been very reliable, nice to drive, roomy. On the negative side the brakes aren't amazing (esp handbrake).

There must be something wrong, I found the 1.6 Diesel brakes very good for its class.

How many clicks are on the handbrake?

mullingar wrote: »
    There must be something wrong, I found the 1.6 Diesel brakes very good for its class.

How many clicks are on the handbrake?

Brakes are fine. Lower range lighter models have drum rears, but they are well up to the task.

The clicks on the handbrake depend entirely on how the cable is adjusted.

Brakes are fine. Lower range lighter models have drum rears, but they are well up to the task.

The clicks on the handbrake depend entirely on how the cable is adjusted.

A handbrake with a lot of slack is a good indicator that the level of service to the braking system is poor, so it * PROBABLY * needs a full service including a full fluid change/bleed.

This is the reason I asked for the number of clicks

Advertisement