Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No phone line

• 02-02-2010 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

UPC don't service the building
    In central dublin

Cyrrently on clearwire, which is probably the worst impersonation of broadband I've ever had the misfortune to use.

What are my options?
    Any good deals at the moment?

etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Get a phone line is probably your best option.

Failing that, Metro or Breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Where in central Dublin? If you're D2, chances are you're on Ship Street or Crown Alley exchanges, both of which have Smart LLU (and I think Magnet also), which is a good service.

I know D1 less well, but North Main also has Smart LLU.

If you post your street name then we can probably tell you more... All phone line (ADSL) products depend on distance from the exchange, the closer you are the better it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

Imagine's Wimax might be a good option in your situation, pretty fast and cheap, no phone line required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Sorry, I'm in D8. near James' Hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 newkidonblock

Im using Meteor prepay stick, its excellent, stick cost €69 and its only €20 a month.

Only drawback is you can only use it in one computer at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

You are probably on Dolphin's Barn exchange... I think both Smart and Magnet are active there. As far as I know it's here - how close are you by road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Imagine's Wimax might be a good option in your situation, pretty fast and cheap, no phone line required.
    Im using Meteor prepay stick, its excellent, stick cost €69 and its only €20 a month.

Only drawback is you can only use it in one computer at a time.

Neither of these is broadband, they've both got very poor reports as well as some good ones. They'd be comparable to Clearwire, which he currently has, so no real improvement there.

the_law wrote: »
    You are probably on Dolphin's Barn exchange... I think both Smart and Magnet are active there. As far as I know it's here - how close are you by road?

about a mile according to google maps.
    edit: a km, i mean

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'd stay well clear of Clearwire for the moment, they're very much an Irish ISP who are standing still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Sorry, I'm in D8. near James' Hospital.
    the_law wrote: »
    You are probably on Dolphin's Barn exchange...

I'm near James' Hospital as well (James' Street / Steevens Lane) and am connected through Crown Alley in Tempel Bar (Although Dolphin's Barn is much closer). The stats from the router would confirm the distance as well.

I have broadband through Smart (5MB), the quality of broadband is perfect, the quality of communication of the company is quite a bit less than perfect ;) (and I am not sure how their future will pan out now that digiweb has taken them over)

As mentioned above, due to the distance to my exchange, 7MB might be possible but not much more.

Try to get a phone number of one of your neighbours and put it in the Smart line checker. This way you will know what exchange you will be connected through (and what services are available)

• Advertisement

hugoline wrote: »
    I'm near James' Hospital as well (James' Street / Steevens Lane) and am connected through Crown Alley in Tempel Bar (Although Dolphin's Barn is much closer). The stats from the router would confirm the distance as well.

I have broadband through Smart (5MB), the quality of broadband is perfect, the quality of communication of the company is quite a bit less than perfect ;) (and I am not sure how their future will pan out now that digiweb has taken them over)

As mentioned above, due to the distance to my exchange, 7MB might be possible but not much more.

Try to get a phone number of one of your neighbours and put it in the Smart line checker. This way you will know what exchange you will be connected through (and what services are available)
    Will do, thanks.

Advertisement