Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Administrator password

• 02-02-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm in a spot of bother, someone has changed the password on my administrator account on my pc. The pc is windows xp, if that matters? I only discovered this problem when i attempted to load new software and I was denied access to do so.

I know who changed the password but they have forgotten the new password as it was 2-3 months ago when they changed it.

Any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Start the system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press <ctrl>+<alt>+<del> keys twice and it'll show Classic Login box. Now type Administrator in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log into Windows. this might work and it might not give it a shot.
    ps. if it works then you can reset your account password from "Control Panel -> User Accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Start > run > (type) control userpasswords2 (hit enter) > Reset password

If you can't do it under your own login, try it safe mode (hit f8 as the machine is booting, select safe mode, hit enter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If the system has been correctly configured neither of the above will work, you'll need to get a password reset disk that can blank the admin password.

Can't tell you where to get it though as its against boards.ie policy to publicly do this.

MC

If the system has been correctly configured neither of the above will work, you'll need to get a password reset disk that can blank the admin password.

Can't tell you where to get it though as its against boards.ie policy to publicly do this.

MC

or he could just open the computer and use the bios jump leads to reset the password. if you have your computer service manual you could do it no problem. if not download it from google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

zenno wrote: »
    or he could just open the computer and use the bios jump leads to reset the password. if you have your computer service manual you could do it no problem. if not download it from google.

I think you're thinking of resetting a bios password, he's talking about a windows password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Staff Sergeant

Thanks all, problem solved!

I think you're thinking of resetting a bios password, he's talking about a windows password.

yep it works both ways. anyway good to hear you fixed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

zenno wrote: »
    yep it works both ways. anyway good to hear you fixed it.
    No it doesn't, the OS will not have its password reset by the BIOS.... :p

No it doesn't, the OS will not have its password reset by the BIOS.... :p

I was sure it could be reset but it looks like you are correct MunsterCycling. I just remember a friend of mine saying he jumped the bios and it got him back into windows ages ago because he had a admin password he couldn't remember. maybe i misunderstood what he was saying. anyway cheers for making that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

• Advertisement
Advertisement