Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day or two in Dublin for father and son

Options
  • 02-02-2010 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

My 13-year old son is competing in the Feis Ceoil on Friday 26 March, so looking for one nights accomodation for the two of us on night of the 25th. The event starts at 9.30am.

The event location is at the junction of Anglesea and Simmonscourt Rds in Ballsbridge, so ideally some place within walking distance.

Not looking for luxury but something nice enough, money is tight and getting tighter. See loads on Google, but the last time I booked accommodation on the basis of the lovely pictures I was sorely disappointed! Any recommendations?

Haven't decided yet, but if I can get a good deal for two nights I might show him a bit of Dublin as he hasn't seen the capital before. So any ideas what to do on the Friday evening/Saturday morning/afternoon much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Friday evening is usually League of Ireland night, they'd be mostly two or thee matces in Dubin that night. Fixturs ain't out till later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Jurys had a deal on (it might still be on) for rooms for the night for 55 euro. Not 5 star but you could do a lot worse or pay a lot more for the same given the location and that there's one in Ballsbridge.

Bring him go Karting or to Airsoft, there's always something on usually too closer to the date :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Jury's (well, D4 Hotels I think they're called) are offering twin rooms for 49 euro for that night. It's just a short walk away, worth a look. Or you can get a nicer twin room - with a playstation in there as well - for 89 euro in The Herbert Park Hotel, just as closeby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

the Bewleys near there is fine, cheap enough usually too.
    Leinster are playing Connacht on the saturday in the RDS, so probably where or near the feis ceoil is if he's into it.
    Otherwise, would he be too old for the zoo? i went a couple of years ago and enjoyed it (am 31) more than I thought I would.
    Otherwise, there's a lot of museums and galleries that are all free.
    Maybe list what you both enjoy and we can help more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks for the replies. I think he'd go for the museum type of activity, or music. Looked at ticketmaster but don't see an option to search by date, they've no email address and I can't call them during the day. Put the date into visitdublin.com and got this list http://bit.ly/daPgDw. Not sure there's much there he'd like, except maybe the national library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i'd recommend the titanic exhibition if you can get to it, but like everything else in ireland, the cost of admission is ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

who_ru wrote: »
    i'd recommend the titanic exhibition if you can get to it, but like everything else in ireland, the cost of admission is ridiculously expensive.

I would also recommend the Titanic exhibition especially with the centenary of the sinking coming up in 2012.It's in Dublin until June. Personally I thought it was well worth the money. (price of 3 pints) and I ended up spending over 2 hours there!
    The artifacts that have been salvaged from the ship are just incredible including a slightly water damaged postcard of Blarney Castle in Cork :eek: However I have always had a fascination with the ship but I do think it's an incredible exhibition worth seeing.
    I think the 69 bus from Aston Quay serves the Citywest Hotel
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/your-journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/69/
    http://www.titanicdublin.com/

I havn't gone through all the previous posts so if there is some repetition forgive me.
    Kilmainham Gaol is certainly a must visit as well as Collin's Barracks. The Military section is fascinating if you like military stuff!
    The bogbodies in the National Museum are also a must see.
    You might want to check and see if there is anything on in the National Concert Hall on the night you are here.

The Croke Park park museum and ground tour might also appeal or the Georgian House No.29
    http://www.esb.ie/main/about-esb/numbertwentynine/default.htm

Ya can get a bus out to the Botanic gardens and have a bite to eat there. Only 10/15 mins from O'Connell St on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks for the suggestions, will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

A tour of the Guinness Factory at St James' Gate. I went a month ago and thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

There is the Soldiers & Chiefs exhibition in Collins Barracks.

http://www.museum.ie/en/exhibition/soldiers-and-chiefs.aspx

Its not particularily near the RDS but the Luas stops outside of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement