Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESRI and Competition Authority responsible for banking regulation..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sleepy wrote: »
    There's no need for intervention here from what I can see. The market can correct itself if the farmers just start playing it.
    This problem has existed for a long time and I see the UK's creation of the Supermarkets Ombudsman as a recognition that the market will not just correct itself.

The average farm income in 2008 was €16,993 or 1/3 of average public sector earnings. Perhaps co-ops are the best way to get farmers off subsidies and onto a decent price for their product. But it isn't going to work if consumers simply migrate to Lidl/Aldi and start buying imported food instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

mickeyk wrote: »
    What you are suggesting is to build an entirely new supply chain structure when we already have one that just needs some tweaking. Sorry but I am not convinced.

you idea of "tweaking" involves telling retailers what to do and what not to do

the same retailers can just turn around and say "**** it its not worth the hassle"

my idea involves becoming the retailer, and letting the customers vote with their feet

Can capitalism work when an essential part of the businesss is getting nothing out of their effort?

how do non for profits operate?

maximizing profit doesn't have to mean maximizing $€£ being made, it could also mean maximizing the wellbeing of its shareholders (the farmers)

thats the whole concept behind co-ops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    you idea of "tweaking" involves telling retailers what to do and what not to do

the same retailers can just turn around and say "**** it its not worth the hassle"

my idea involves becoming the retailer, and letting the customers vote with their feet

how do non for profits operate?

maximizing profit doesn't have to mean maximizing $€£ being made, it could also mean maximizing the wellbeing of its shareholders (the farmers)

thats the whole concept behind co-ops
    So farming should be non profit now, what a pity you weren't on frontline would have loved to hear the reaction to that LOL :D

But seriously we have a serious flaw in the current sytem which will cause many farmers to go out of business unless something is done. You believe the market will correct itself, I believe we will just end up importing produce and another country gets the benefit at the cost of thousands of jobs here.

Doubt we are going to get agreement on this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

taconnol wrote: »
    The average farm income in 2008 was €16,993 or 1/3 of average public sector earnings. Perhaps co-ops are the best way to get farmers off subsidies and onto a decent price for their product. But it isn't going to work if consumers simply migrate to Lidl/Aldi and start buying imported food instead.
    If Lidl / Aldi can import food for sale for lower than the cost of getting it locally, there's a problem and it's not with the retailer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

do they sell the milk at 40 cent a litre? we heard it costs 30 to produce last night

if they are selling the milk at same rate as supermarkets, then the obvious question is why?
    I don't know what price they sell it for so I don't know if the premise of your question is correct. Do you?
    are the supermarkets holding a gun to farmers heads,
    once any contracts run out whats stopping a farmer from selling 70% of milk to the before mentioned Fairness for Farmers (FF) CO-op/Plc/Ltd :D and 30% to supermarkets?
    Yes they are because there is nothing stopping the supermarkets buying milk from abroad, is there? When supermarkets control 80% of the sales of food, they have a lot of power. It's like a monopoly.

then band together and create the economies of scale :) not like it hasnt been done before in this country
    What impact do monopolies normally have on competition? They stifle it, no?

When co-ops get too big for Tesco, they are simply brushed aside:

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/65-staff-laid-off-as-tesco-pull-contract-exclusive-1667251.html
    spot the difference?
    This doesn't make sense. THe point I was making is that the price is almost always higher in farmers markets because the farmers make a profit.
    by becoming so big that the supermarkets would either have to listen to them or buy their milk elsewehre
    yes, possibly outside Ireland - is that a good idea?
    that exactly the same concept as Trade Unions operate on, one worker doesnt have much say, but a group of workers can hold a country ransom :D
    You see, food is different because you can import tomatoes more easily than you can import workers :)

• Advertisement

If Lidl / Aldi can import food for sale for lower than the cost of getting it locally, there's a problem and it's not with the retailer.
    Why? Everything in Ireland is expensive - there are considerably higher regulations that farmers in Ireland have to abide by that don't exist in other countries. There are more health and safety regulations as well. Why would it be so surprising that food is cheaper to import in other countries and why would it necessarily be a symptom of some sort of problem with agriculture in Ireland?

So farming should be non profit now, what a pity you weren't on frontline would have loved to hear the reaction to that LOL :D

did i say that? :rolleyes:

a question was asked whether a business has to operate on the principle of earning $$$, it doesnt as profit doesn't have to monetary

anyways theres certainly alot of profit to be made in Co-ops, the ones here in Ireland arent exactly loss making enterprises are they?

But seriously we have a serious flaw in the current sytem which will cause many farmers to go out of business unless something is done. You believe the market will correct itself
    the serious flaw in the current system are the farmers who are failing to grasp a huge opportunity to better themselves

I believe we will just end up importing produce and another country gets the benefit at the cost of thousands of jobs here.
    thats called competition, if you cant compete you die in business

what you propose involves forcing the retailers and the consumers to pay a certain fixed amount because the farmers are entitled to it, that will just end in tears altogether

actually it be interesting that your ideas do go thru just to see how the whole thing ends up hurting both farmers and consumers

I don't know what price they sell it for so I don't know if the premise of your question is correct. Do you?
    my premise is simple, heres an opportunity (the markets) for farmers to sell the produce for cheaper than supermarkets and hence attract customers, why dont they?
    Yes they are because there is nothing stopping the supermarkets buying milk from abroad, is there? When supermarkets control 80% of the sales of food, they have a lot of power. It's like a monopoly.
    like that guy on primetime said last night "we may as well drop out of EU now, put up trade barriers and call DeValera back"

if this Fairness for Farmers (FF) Co-op can setup a chain of stores across country and supply chain where they can sell milk for cheaper than supermarkets, the people will flock to these stores and buy the cheaper local produce, dont you agree?

What impact do monopolies normally have on competition? They stifle it, no?

When co-ops get too big for Tesco, they are simply brushed aside:

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/65-staff-laid-off-as-tesco-pull-contract-exclusive-1667251.html
    if the farmers (the farmers association is one powerful lobby force) think we have a case of monopoly in Ireland they can bring the matter to EU, who are quite good at breaking up monopolies (see microsoft and intel)

This doesn't make sense. THe point I was making is that the price is almost always higher in farmers markets because the farmers make a profit.
    )

if it costs 30 cent to make a liter and supermarkets sell it for 90 cent, then why cant farmers sell it for 80 cent, making a profit and undercutting the supermarket?

yes, possibly outside Ireland - is that a good idea?
    by doing that the supermarkets will only hurt themselves

lets say supermarkets choose to buy from abroad and continue to sell milk (British lets say) at 90c a liter
    while the local Fairness for Farmers (FF) Co-op chain shop sell a liter for 80c of Guaranteed Irish milk :)

where do you think people will buy their milk?

You see, food is different because you can import tomatoes more easily than you can import workers :)

funny that you say that, theres alot of "imported" workers working on our farms

did i say that? :rolleyes:

a question was asked whether a business has to operate on the principle of earning $$$, it doesnt as profit doesn't have to monetary

anyways theres certainly alot of profit to be made in Co-ops, the ones here in Ireland arent exactly loss making enterprises are they?

the serious flaw in the current system are the farmers who are failing to grasp a huge opportunity to better themselves

thats called competition, if you cant compete you die in business

what you propose involves forcing the retailers and the consumers to pay a certain fixed amount because the farmers are entitled to it, that will just end in tears altogether

actually it be interesting that your ideas do go thru just to see how the whole thing ends up hurting both farmers and consumers
    Of course you didn't say that i was joking.

How exactly will being paid a fair price hurt farmers. The producers have massive retained profits even after paying their dividends. I know they are in business to make profit but would you like to see all our food being imported, that is what will happen and when it does the price will go up because we can't supply it locally. Killing our agri-industry won't end in tears?

if this Fairness for Farmers (FF) Co-op can setup a chain of stores across country and supply chain where they can sell milk for cheaper than supermarkets, the people will flock to these stores and buy the cheaper local produce, dont you agree?
    Because it won't be cheaper! That's the point. The food in supermarkets is too cheap, it's below the cost of production. Food sold by farmers is not and would not be cheaper than it is in supermarkets now.
    if the farmers (the farmers association is one powerful lobby force) think we have a case of monopoly in Ireland they can bring the matter to EU, who are quite good at breaking up monopolies (see microsoft and intel)
    Yes, I think they should. And I would support the creation of an ombdusman.
    if it costs 30 cent to make a liter and supermarkets sell it for 90 cent, then why can farmers sell it for 80 cent, making a profit and undercutting the supermarket?
    OK look, do you understand how Tesco operates? It has access to massive economies of scale and capital and can keep supermarkets open that do not turn a profit for a long time just to build up a market. Farmers and co-ops will not have access to the same tools.
    by doing that the supermarkets will only hurt themselves
    Why? As it is there are thousands of imported products on the shelves of Irish supermarkets.
    lets say supermarkets choose to buy from abroad and continue to sell milk (British lets say) at 90c a liter
    while the local Fairness for Farmers (FF) Co-op chain shop sell a liter for 80c of Guaranteed Irish milk :)

where do you think people will buy their milk?
    Because Tesco will bring down their prices to under that of the co-op. That is how Tesco operates. It's not as if this has gone unnoticed. There's even a website about it:

http://www.tescopoly.org/
    funny that you say that, theres alot of "imported" workers working on our farms
    I don't blame them. Who in god's name would slave over an Irish farm for €16,000 a year?! My point stands about the difference between people and potatoes :)

• Advertisement

:)

How exactly will being paid a fair price hurt farmers. The producers have massive retained profits even after paying their dividends. I know they are in business to make profit

yes they are in it to make profit and maximizing returns to their shareholders

and hence why I proposed that the farmers also go into this business setting up a co-op or a series of co-ops maximizing the profit for the farmers

instead of sitting around on pat kenny moaning about fairness they can be running very successful businesses selling direct to consumers

the direct approach worked out rather well for the likes of Dell, and once again the Co-op approach has worked in this country helping the co-op members

would you like to see all our food being imported, that is what will happen and when it does the price will go up because we can't supply it locally. Killing our agri-industry won't end in tears?

not at all i always check labels in shop to see where the food is from :)

see my post before, supermarkets would be daft to start importing the likes of milk, potato and meats from outside Ireland

simply because most people would opt instead to buy this produce elsewhere

the supermarkets are exploiting the fact that farmers are a fragmented group and playing farmers against each other, hence why they workers farmers of Ireland should unite :D in a Farmers Union Co-op and hold the country ransom :eek:

Why? Everything in Ireland is expensive - there are considerably higher regulations that farmers in Ireland have to abide by that don't exist in other countries. There are more health and safety regulations as well. Why would it be so surprising that food is cheaper to import in other countries and why would it necessarily be a symptom of some sort of problem with agriculture in Ireland?
    Because the cost of importing should be more than enough to balance out any price difference in the common market.

If it's a matter of health and safety, we could insist that any produce being sold in Ireland is produced to accordance with those levels of health and safety.

If we still can't compete with imports after that level why bother continuting to compete directly? Either differentiate or move up the production chain.

Because the cost of importing should be more than enough to balance out any price difference in the common market.
    Why? There are many differing factors between the agriculture sector of different countries.
    If it's a matter of health and safety, we could insist that any produce being sold in Ireland is produced to accordance with those levels of health and safety.
    True, hence the furore over Brazilian beef. But these things are easier said than done, especially where food is concerned. Food is often found in breach of labelling laws (which are flimsy at best).
    If we still can't compete with imports after that level why bother continuting to compete directly? Either differentiate or move up the production chain.
    Because there is more to consider that just the economic consequences of dismantling our domestic agricultural sector.

Because it won't be cheaper! That's the point. The food in supermarkets is too cheap, it's below the cost of production. Food sold by farmers is not and would not be cheaper than it is in supermarkets now.

whats the problem? (when selling products price is not always be all end all theres also quality)

scenario A: supermarkets are selling a liter of milk for 90c while paying farmers 30c as now

scenario B: our Fairness for Farmers Co-op is selling it in its shops for 80c while paying farmers 50c and reinvesting profit into the same farmer members

where will people go to buy milk (perform same exercise for other goods)? A or B ??
    which scenario are the farmers better of with? A or B ??

theres also scenario C being pushed by the farmers

scenario C: supermarkets are forced to sell milk for 99c (hurting consumer) and are forced to pay farmers 50c (making it likely unprofitable to sell milk), if theres no profit then the supermarkets stop selling milk and hence hurting the farmers or worse bring in milk from abroad

i dont like scenario C because thats hurts everyone including the farmers (eventually), this sort of similar how to Trade Unions are now hurting everyone in the economy via strike in order to keep paying their members fat salaries

True, hence the furore over Brazilian beef. But these things are easier said than done, especially where food is concerned. Food is often found in breach of labelling laws (which are flimsy at best).

as shown on frontline last night most people would opt to buy irish, its a matter of labeling and getting the laws sorted out

Because there is more to consider that just the economic consequences of dismantling our domestic agricultural sector.

if a sector of economy can not compete does it deserve to be subsidized or worse forcing the consumers to pay for the waste in a sector via increased prices

is that fair on consumers that they have to pay for the farmers inability to create a business that can take advantage of economies of scale and the (claimed) quality of Irish produce

/

yes they are in it to make profit and maximizing returns to their shareholders

and hence why I proposed that the farmers also go into this business setting up a co-op or a series of co-ops maximizing the profit for the farmers

instead of sitting around on pat kenny moaning about fairness they can be running very successful businesses selling direct to consumers

the direct approach worked out rather well for the likes of Dell, and once again the Co-op approach has worked in this country helping the co-op members

not at all i always check labels in shop to see where the food is from :)

see my post before, supermarkets would be daft to start importing the likes of milk, potato and meats from outside Ireland

simply because most people would opt instead to buy this produce elsewhere

the supermarkets are exploiting the fact that farmers are a fragmented group and playing farmers against each other, hence why they workers farmers of Ireland should unite :D in a Farmers Union Co-op and hold the country ransom :eek:
    We have lamb from New Zealand and potatoes from Israel in our shops so it is already commonplace, both products we produce in abundance here. Your idea is very interesting but the major retailers would crush it before it ever got off the ground by ruthlessly undercutting it, as they can always import and would not be held to ransom by anybody. An awful lot of our produce goes to export through our food companies (who are extremely profitable), so it is not all about retailing either. Many farmers simply could not afford to withold their produce for reasons I outlined in an earlier post, and they are being held over a barrel with regards prices. It is a very complex issue and its not as easy as saying lets start our own co-op and bully these extremely powerful multinational companies.

scenario B: our Fairness for Farmers Co-op is selling it in its shops for 80c while paying farmers 50c and reinvesting profit into the same farmer members
    Please explain how it would be possible for the FF Co-Op to sell it for cheaper, given the massive economies of scale in purchasing and logistics that Tesco benefit from. You're dreaming up scenario B and I'm saying it isn't possible.
    theres also scenario C being pushed by the farmers

scenario C: supermarkets are forced to sell milk for 99c (hurting consumer) and are forced to pay farmers 50c (making it likely unprofitable to sell milk)

i dont like scenario C because thats what this whole thing is about :(
    This scenario is called paying farmers the true price of a good, rather than indirectly paying for it through our taxes and CAP subsidies. My god, there is more to this than just making sure consumers pay peanuts for everything they get!

We have lamb from New Zealand and potatoes from Israel in our shops so it is already commonplace, both products we produce in abundance here.

and people are buying them

do you have a problem with people having choice?

do you want to force people to buy only Irish products? what happens when the countries to which Ireland exports (and we are a net exporter) retaliate??

theres only one option for farmers and thats to compete and create own co-op as outlined earlier

Why? There are many differing factors between the agriculture sector of different countries.

Like what? As far as I'm concerned, there's no point in performing activity of no economic benefit to the country.

If producing milk isn't profitable, process the milk into something which is (cheese, ice-cream, milk powder etc.). If there's nothing that can be made from the milk that returns a profit, stop producing milk and focus on something that can make a profit from.

Access to food isn't an issue as we're part of a common market and seemingly incapable of profitably producing food at a price level where we can compete...

The other option, which I'm sure is most unpalatable to the land-obsessed, is simply to farm bigger. Keep merging neighbouring farms until the economies of scale created make the industy sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Are famers the new Taxi Drivers now?
    If you run a business and you're not making profit then get out of it.

ei.sdraob co-op is a viable possibility but the will would need to be there in the first place.

Like what? As far as I'm concerned, there's no point in performing activity of no economic benefit to the country.
    Where to start? There's the cost of distribution, the variables of the market, national environmental and safety regulations, cost of inputs, etc.

I consider economics important but it is not the only thing to consider. In addition, you can look at something very narrowly, or you can look at how the agricultural industry impacts on other sectors like tourism.
    Access to food isn't an issue as we're part of a common market and seemingly incapable of profitably producing food at a price level where we can compete...
    Access to food isn't an issue? Climate change is having serious impacts on our crop yields. Intensive farming practices are leading to soil degradation. Bee populations have dropped 90% in some areas, seriously affecting biodiversity and pollination. Our industrial food system is seriously oil-hungry (heavy machinery, fertilisation, pest control, transport, supermarket lighting, heating and cooling, transport home, heating & cooling in the home) and the IEA, formerly a sceptic of peak oil, has recognised that oil will peak somewhere between 2013 and 2037. Developing nations like China and India are getting a taste for milk and meat and they will be competing for these foods and their necessary inputs (grain etc) more and more, pushing prices up. Ireland and other countries' ground water is significantly polluted and fresh water is increasingly scarce.

But to save a few pennies, we should dismantle our domestic agriculture industry and leave ourselves open to the vagaries of an increasingly unsustainable and volatile international food market? Total insanity.

I haven't even gone into the social and environmental ramifications of this plan of action.
    The other option, which I'm sure is most unpalatable to the land-obsessed, is simply to farm bigger. Keep merging neighbouring farms until the economies of scale created make the industy sustainable.
    Land-obsessed? What on earth does that mean?

• Advertisement

Where to start? There's the cost of distribution, the variables of the market, national environmental and safety regulations, cost of inputs, etc.

I consider economics important but it is not the only thing to consider. In addition, you can look at something very narrowly, or you can look at how the agricultural industry impacts on other sectors like tourism.

Access to food isn't an issue? Climate change is having serious impacts on our crop yields. Intensive farming practices are leading to soil degradation. Bee populations have dropped 90% in some areas, seriously affecting biodiversity and pollination. Our industrial food system is seriously oil-hungry (heavy machinery, fertilisation, pest control, transport, supermarket lighting, heating and cooling, transport home, heating & cooling in the home) and the IEA, formerly a sceptic of peak oil, has recognised that oil will peak somewhere between 2013 and 2037. Developing nations like China and India are getting a taste for milk and meat and they will be competing for these foods and their necessary inputs (grain etc) more and more, pushing prices up. Ireland and other countries' ground water is significantly polluted and fresh water is increasingly scarce.

But to save a few pennies, we should dismantle our domestic agriculture industry and leave ourselves open to the vagaries of an increasingly unsustainable and volatile international food market? Total insanity.

I haven't even gone into the social and environmental ramifications of this plan of action.
    If food is so scarce, why can't it be sold profitably? I'm no expert in crop rotation but from my limited understading of it: if our environment is so degraded, wouldn't the intervening years between the scaling back of production to what could be sold profitably and the consequent increasing of production when food scarcity kicked in do wonders for the land?
    Land-obsessed? What on earth does that mean?
    The general sense I've experienced from Irish farmers that it is their birthright to make a living from whatever size of land they own and that their grandchildren should be able to make a living from that same patch of land.

Any time I've suggested the notion of farmers pooling their land in a limited company and taking a shareholding based on their contribution to the pool in order to gain from the economies of scale this should produce, the suggestion has been met by outrage at the idea of 'losing their land'.

If food is so scarce, why can't it be sold profitably?
    Firstly, many many costs are not included in the price. Water pollution, soil degradation, loss of biodiversity, animal welfare - these are not included in the €4 you pay for your chicken. TBH, I have no idea how an industry got to the point where producers are being paid less than the cost of production. It's insane.

I mean would you as an individual accept a job that didn't cover your living costs? And then you have to apply for a rake of subsidies through endless paperwork just to make ends meet? That's what we expect farmers to do in this country.
    The general sense I've experienced from Irish farmers that it is their birthright to make a living from whatever size of land they own and that their grandchildren should be able to make a living from that same patch of land.

Any time I've suggested the notion of farmers pooling their land in a limited company and taking a shareholding based on their contribution to the pool in order to gain from the economies of scale this should produce, the suggestion has been met by outrage at the idea of 'losing their land'.
    Ah - I've never experienced that attitude but that doesn't mean some farmers don't share it.

You replied to that so fast you missed my edit:

I'm no expert in crop rotation but from my limited understading of it: if our environment is so degraded, wouldn't the intervening years between the scaling back of production to what could be sold profitably and the consequent increasing of production when food scarcity kicked in do wonders for the land?

Are producers being paid less than the cost of production solely because those goods can be produced elsewhere far cheaper or is there another reason?

You replied to that so fast you missed my edit:
    I'm no expert in crop rotation but from my limited understading of it: if our environment is so degraded, wouldn't the intervening years between the scaling back of production to what could be sold profitably and the consequent increasing of production when food scarcity kicked in do wonders for the land?
    Because the type and intensity of our current agricultural system is inherently unsustainable. We're a long way off the shocking things that happen in the US but there comes a certain point where the merry-go-round is going to have to stop. We don't need a break before we keep going - we need to change the system entirely.
    Are producers being paid less than the cost of production solely because those goods can be produced elsewhere far cheaper or is there another reason?
    The truth is I don't know. I think it as a lot to do with WWII, the emergence of CAP and the political goals of Europe to ensure security of food supply for the continent. It has led to a system of subsidies that has spiralled out of control (in my opinion)

For example, how much of the cost of a chicken is paid by the consumer and how much is covered by subsidies? Why don't we get rid of the subsidies and just pay the farmers a decent price? Think of how much we'd save in reduced admin and paperwork!

and people are buying them

do you have a problem with people having choice?

do you want to force people to buy only Irish products? what happens when the countries to which Ireland exports (and we are a net exporter) retaliate??

theres only one option for farmers and thats to compete and create own co-op as outlined earlier
    I have no problem with people having a choice.

You didn't address my point about the major retailers putting your proposed co-op out of business by undercutting it, they would have no problem doing this. It is a wonderful idea in theory but it simply wouldn't be allowed to happen. As tacannol has pointed out our food is being sold under the cost of production and the farmers co-op wouldn't be able to better that price anyway, and wouldn't have the economies of scale or distribution channels open to tesco and others.

Then surely the option is for the farmer's co-op to sit between the individual farmers and the likes of Tesco?

If Tesco account for 80% of their sales, then Tesco is also prettily heavily reliant upon them as that produce is a huge amount of the stock on Tesco's shelves - never mind the impact of a threat not to sell Irish produce would have on Tesco's foot fall if the farmers made any coherrant attempt at getting the consumers on side that didn't involve taking over the M6 in tractors (i.e. a PR campaign).

I have no problem with people having a choice.

You didn't address my point about the major retailers putting your proposed co-op out of business by undercutting it, they would have no problem doing this. It is a wonderful idea in theory but it simply wouldn't be allowed to happen. As tacannol has pointed out our food is being sold under the cost of production and the farmers co-op wouldn't be able to better that price anyway, and wouldn't have the economies of scale or distribution channels open to tesco and others.

i did address you point several times

if the supermarkets undercut by importing the milk, bread, potato & meat

then the consumer would have a choice

1. buy from cheaper importer food of questionable quality
    2. buy the more expensive quality local food

and the end of the day its for the consumer to decide which to buy, not for the farmers

whether you like it or not, the alternative is banning imports and putting up trade-barriers and to do that we would need to leave the EU, the farmers would really "love" that now would they?

Because the type and intensity of our current agricultural system is inherently unsustainable. We're a long way off the shocking things that happen in the US but there comes a certain point where the merry-go-round is going to have to stop. We don't need a break before we keep going - we need to change the system entirely.

its unsustainable because the population of this world is unsustainable

what do you propose we starve people?

Then surely the option is for the farmer's co-op to sit between the individual farmers and the likes of Tesco?

If Tesco account for 80% of their sales, then Tesco is also prettily heavily reliant upon them as that produce is a huge amount of the stock on Tesco's shelves - never mind the impact of a threat not to sell Irish produce would have on Tesco's foot fall if the farmers made any coherrant attempt at getting the consumers on side that didn't involve taking over the M6 in tractors (i.e. a PR campaign).
    If a sensible solution such as the one you put forward could be found then great. You are also correct in saying that we need to farm bigger and better, also streamline production and invest heavily in R & D in value added food production. A big problem is that many small farmers who are simply not viable as commercial entities in their own right have now lost the nixers they had on building sites and so on, a joining of small farms may be a solution where it could be run by a few farmers and the others go off to work, move away whatever, keeping a stake. There must be give on all sides, but the current system is working for everybody but the farmer and that will not continue indefinately as they will simply stop producing food at a loss eventually.

• Advertisement

i did address you point several times

if the supermarkets undercut by importing the milk, bread, potato & meat

then the consumer would have a choice

1. buy from cheaper importer food of questionable quality
    2. buy the more expensive quality local food

and the end of the day its for the consumer to decide which to buy, not for the farmers

whether you like it or not, the alternative is banning imports and putting up trade-barriers and to do that we would need to leave the EU, the farmers would really "love" that now would they?
    So set up a company that cannot possibly succeed, that'd really help the farmer. The big retailers will keep prices artificially low until they are gone, what good will that do anybody? Why not just pay the farmer a price that allows everybody make enough to keep going?

Advertisement