Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the max a woman can take off work maternity (unpaid) + have a job to return to

Options
  • 02-02-2010 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Legally what the max?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

lynski wrote: »

I can see rates there, but how much unpaid leave can a mother take and the employer has to hold the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

You can take 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave. After that you'd need to request parental leave which I think is 6 weeks per child (but I'm not sure on that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Length of time Maternity Benefit is paid

Maternity Benefit is paid for 26 weeks. At least 2 weeks and not more than 16 weeks leave must be taken before the end of the week in which your baby is due.

If your baby is born later than expected and you have less than 4 weeks maternity leave left, you may be entitled to extend your maternity leave to ensure that you have a full 4 weeks off following the week of the birth. In these circumstances Maternity Benefit will continue to be paid to you until the baby is 4 weeks old. You need to notify the Maternity Benefit Section of the Department of Social and Family Affairs by sending them a letter from your GP stating the date on which your baby was born.

You can take a further 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave. This period is not covered by Maternity Benefit but you will be entitled to a credited social insurance contribution for each week of unpaid leave you take (up to the maximum of 16).

The information was on the link provided if you just read down or did a search for the term 'unpaid leave'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Ater the unpaid leave, you are also due some holidays and bank holidays acrued during your maternity leave, though I believe the emplyer is not obliged to give that to you immediately following the maternity leave, if operations don't allow for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement