Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding fine (2 points) on shared car - 1 Irish 1 foreign Licence - who takes hit ?

• 02-02-2010 3:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

It was a non intercept money making camera.

Whats to stop us naming the foreign License as they cant get points right?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did they get a picture of the front of the car?
    It is an offence in itself to lie about who was driving.

Oh and may I remind you about the Motors Charter, Rules & FAQs - Read before going further - updated 11-12-09 (see post #2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

mr_happy wrote: »
    It was a non intercept money making camera.

Whats to stop us naming the foreign License as they cant get points right?

Nothing to stop you.... except its illegal......

if your man enough to drive faster than the speed limit and break the law... be man enough to accept the points........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

kbannon wrote: »
    Did they get a picture of the front of the car?
    It is an offence in itself to lie about who was driving.

QUOTE]

They never send a pic of the car anymore its just the number plate. They may have a pic of the driver, but if the fine is paid who is to know? Do they ever double check and bring people to court?

I was 7 KMs over the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They never send a pic of the car anymore its just the number plate. They may have a pic of the driver, but if the fine is paid who is to know? Do they ever double check and bring people to court?

So you take the points then, pretty simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Was it 127 or 37...i'm guessin the latter..

You wont get much sympathy on here...we're all law abiding drivers..are'nt we lads..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Was it 127 or 37...i'm guessin the latter..

You wont get much sympathy on here...we're all law abiding drivers..are'nt we lads..:rolleyes:

nothing to do with being all law abiding drivers.... or high horses...
    have gotten many points myself over the years.... its about accepting responsibility for your own actions.... and keeping it all legal as well..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The number plate pic is a cropped version of the original IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kbannon wrote: »
    The number plate pic is a cropped version of the original IIRC

yes it is. They can give you the full pic if you request but only give the reduced version to save costs on printing and paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A relative of mine got a fine notification for exceeding the limit. He tried "I don't think I was driving it then...". He got a picture in the post that clearly showed him at the wheel. Ain't worth trying;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

ART6 wrote: »
    A relative of mine got a fine notification for exceeding the limit. He tried "I don't think I was driving it then...". He got a picture in the post that clearly showed him at the wheel. Ain't worth trying;)

did he have to go to court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

did he have to go to court?

No. He just bit the bullet, paid the fine and took the points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

If i had the chance to ship points onto a UK licence I would do it in a heartbeat. It is fairly foolproof, send back form with uk licence details with fine paid and hear ntohing more about it. Nobody checks pictures or anything like that.

The reaction of posters in this thread is more a case of jealousy and sour grapes that this loophole is not available to them. You take what you can get!

At the end of the day exceeding a speed limit is not a crime you should feel morally obliged to "man up to" as some people point out. At 7kmph over the limit even less so.

Should people call into the garda station every time they exceed the speed limit and offer to pay the fine and take points despite not being caught? Shouldnt they man up and accept responsibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

The non irish license holder WILL get the points - they will be applied to their irish license if they ever get one....
    ... and these points in waiting don't seem to expire either....

Advertisement