Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Press photographers taking pictures through van window.

• 02-02-2010 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Every time there is a high profile case in the UK, I don't know if it's the same here I don't think I've noticed it, but in the UK when the accused is being driven off in one of those vans with the blacked windows you always see a press photographer or even many of them holding their camera up to the window to try and get a pic.

I have never seen one of these pictures appear on the tv or in a newspaper so I assume you can't take a picture through the window, yet they continually try it, I just thought it strange as they were at it again on the news tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭aceofspades.ie

.Moosejam wrote: »
    Every time there is a high profile case in the UK, I don't know if it's the same here I don't think I've noticed it, but in the UK when the accused is being driven off in one of those vans with the blacked windows you always see a press photographer or even many of them holding their camera up to the window to try and get a pic.

I have never seen one of these pictures appear on the tv or in a newspaper so I assume you can't take a picture through the window, yet they continually try it, I just thought it strange as they were at it again on the news tonight.
    Maybe can get a boy racer to loan his blacked out soon to be off the road racer...... could always try on a security van when delivering money! although suggest no wearing a balaclava :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I suppose the cost benefit ratio is good, it costs nothing to have a go (as long as you don't drop the camera) and if you do get something then maybe you have a valuable shot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

IIRC this was how a photographer got the first photo of Peter Sutcliffe (Yorkshire Ripper). Since then it's been a much more common sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

as someone who has actually gotten some pics in this way - it is possible, however it takes a lot of luck.

depending on what you are shooting through...ie. a normal garda car/unmarked car transporting a person charged first..... flash usually at 1/8 or 1/16 lens set to manual prefocused at 2feet and f8 or f16 (again...all depends on available light) .... be careful of reflections in the window.

prison service van with blacked out window (scudo shaped van or transit shaped van) ..... again ...all depends on light available....usually flash set to 1/1 with +2 or +3 and get the lens flat to the window (dont use a lens shade) .... and hope !! ...lens mostly set to f8 and shutter speeds vary.

as for the larger prison service vans ....windows are too small and too high up to get anything (need to get lens flat to the window)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

.Moosejam wrote: »

reason you dont normally see pics appear in a newspaper is that most of the time - it doesnt work.... on occasion you might get a pic - but might not be the person you want (you might have a great pic of the prison officer next to the person or the persons head way be faced away from you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OP they definetly do use them from time to time. I have seen photos as you've described appear in various papers.

Advertisement