Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco, No quible guarentee.

Options
  • 02-02-2010 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I bought two packets of sweets tonight. mars planets to be precise. I was charged more then the sticker price of the items. They where priced at 55 cents each but when I came to the till it came to 69 cents each. I complained to the sales assistent but he only gave me the lower price. We all know tesco will give us free items if they charge over the price they have displayed at the shelves. I complained this and he would only give me the lower price of 55 cents per item (Not free). They had the no quibble guarentee displayed above the desk.

Now this goes against there guarantee about no quibble, myself having to go to such trouble to get reimbursed proves it's not exactly quibble free.... I was thinking about emailing the ombudsman but maybe its overkill for such a low purchase. Maybe the Tesco area manager would help me in this situation. What do you guys recommend?

I don't want to exactly get my money back more then have my rights protected. I Wouldn't make so much of a deal usually but I get riled up when a store breaks there own guarantees.

My receipt says the the 69c price minus the 14 cent each to make it 55 cent each making my total purchase 1.10 rather then 1.39

What do you guys think? I'm not looking to make a massive deal about this but I will take this to the highest authority as it is my right, I just need advice in what to do.

I'm sorry if this post causes confusion or contradicts itself in parts as I am posting this in in anger but clear mind.

We need to protect our consumer rights!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Limericks wrote: »
    What do you guys think?

I think you should forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnny C Ooh

Not all tesco's display the no quibble guarantee, but as some choose to do so and some do not it is my opinion that the stores that display such a statement should stay true to it!

By no means is this statement giving anybody the right to prowl tesco to try and find a discrepancy between their display prices and the prices each item registers as in their stocking system, it is just trying to state that tesco is trustworthy and consumer friendly , I personally think that they should completely endorse the policy which they themselves freely choose to display!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Gonzales wrote: »
    I think you should forget about it.

See I was going too, but this is what makes huge businesses think they can do whatever they want.

I strongly believe in protecting consumer rights, and this is 100% a breach of those rights. I just need advice on how to start my complaints.

Thanks for the advice though! I'm sure you meant the best by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks like you went wrong by correcting the cashier before you paid for the items. If you had paid what they asked and then went to customer services with your receipt you would have got them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

What rights?

• Advertisement

Looks like you went wrong by correcting the cashier before you paid for the items. If you had paid what they asked and then went to customer services with your receipt you would have got them for free.

That's not what the guarantee states though.
    " is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble"

I was infact charged more then the displayed price, therefore there guarantee was called into effect which was then broken by the cashier.

By that I feel I am in the right and need advice in continuing my complaint.

Thanks for your input though! :D

No probs. But thats how they do it. I suppose technically you werent actually charged the higher amount as money had not changed hands before the error was corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

op did you pay the higher price first and then point out the mistake? if not i'm afraid you weren't ?charged?. tbh i wouldnt waste your time.

No probs. But thats how they do it. I suppose technically you werent actually charged the higher amount as money had not changed hands before the error was corrected.

While that is true, the incorrect amount was displayed at the till which there guarantee does state is included if not massively involved in there whole guarantee.

I do have precedent as I have gotten charged the wrong amount at the till one or two times before and got said item(s) for free, and that was before cash (or electronic payment) had changed hands. Therefore that proves there policy (guarantee) is in effect before cash (or electronic payment) has exchanged hands.

op did you pay the higher price first and then point out the mistake? if not i'm afraid you weren't ?charged?. tbh i wouldnt waste your time.

I did not pay the higher price first, but I was being charged as tesco would of been happy to take my money without putting forward incorrect price.

This week I in fact had a same problem with buying a toy yo yo, where the price was incorrect and got the yo yo for free before cash had changed hands. This is precedent I believe?

//EDIT apologies for the double post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

If you didn't pay the higher price you get nothing, and by the way this is not a consumer right, it is something Tesco does on it's own, in consumer law they are allowed to make mistake on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Having worked there for many years, this is exactly the problem.
    If you catch it before they actually overcharge you, they fix the mistake before any money's handed over, if they accidentally overcharge and you pay, get receipt, etc, you can claim the full refund

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Burn them down, only way to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Exploited this many times, now i don't troll tesco looking for them. I am just careful about checking my receipt.

But in my experience in a few different stores they will not offer their no quibble policy unless you bring it up. Can't blame them for trying.

Once I even had a manager called over to tell me I was crazy for wanting the full price refunded on a €10 bottle of wine and not the 50c I was over charged, that's not tesco policy he said. I politely told him I'd wait while he either checked the tesco.ie site or called head office :D That guy still gives me a filthy look every time I'm in there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

tesco are not legally obliged to refund you op. i'd let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP I would let it go- this one isn't worth worrying about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Basically OP you were not overcharged.

Why not try again today and see if you can get some free sweeties by completing the transaction first. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not all tesco's display the no quibble guarantee, but as some choose to do so and some do not it is my opinion that the stores that display such a statement should stay true to it!

Doesn't matter if they display it or not its a company policy and as such applys to all stores.

To the OP,

- In the eyes of the law Tesco did nothing wrong at all so you have no leg to stand on
    - In the eyes of Tesco's policy you should have got the item for free, thats about it.

If you say write a letter or two it'll almost cost you more to complain then you'll ever get back, so I'd say learn from it in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

Had you paid when this was pointed out to the sales assisstant? The policy only applies if you were charged and paid for the higher price and then noticed it. Not if you were being charged the higher price and then got it corrected before paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Limericks wrote: »
    I do have precedent as I have gotten charged the wrong amount at the till one or two times before and got said item(s) for free, and that was before cash (or electronic payment) had changed hands. Therefore that proves there policy (guarantee) is in effect before cash (or electronic payment) has exchanged hands.
    Then I imagine the cashier made a mistake, I have seen several people mentioned wrong prices at the till and the correct one was rung up, I learned to keep my mouth shut because of this. I have gotten the money back deal many times, they have to go through processing etc, they have always scanned back in my receipt, and always ask if they can keep it, I have had to sign things before too.

Did a search and found Cabaal's own blog!
    http://www.cabaal.org/log/2008/01/tescos-no-quibble-policy.html
    Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble".

If I spot a price is wrong at the till I do not breathe a word, instead I go back in and fill my basket with that particular item and get the lot for free! Another trick is to check it on the self scanning points if the store has them.

There was a UK site with a thread just pointing out price mistakes, and people cleaned up like I did. You would think they would change the price right away but apparently not. When I point out a price is wrong I usually have to go with the person to confirm it -they often then remove the price tag, this leaves me wondering what happens if somebody else complains who checked out just after me. i.e. do they ask them to show them the price after they just removed it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rubadub wrote: »
    Did a search and found Cabaal's own blog!
    http://www.cabaal.org/log/2008/01/tescos-no-quibble-policy.html

haha
    yet I couldn't find it this time around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OP, you got it at the lower price, and they didnt even have to legally do that because you pointed it out before you paid. I'd let it be for the sake of 28c

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

rubadub wrote: »

When I point out a price is wrong I usually have to go with the person to confirm it -they often then remove the price tag, this leaves me wondering what happens if somebody else complains who checked out just after me. i.e. do they ask them to show them the price after they just removed it.

If it's a particularly good deal I usually take a picture just in case they suddenly can't find the label.

Never needed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

parsi wrote: »
    If it's a particularly good deal I usually take a picture just in case they suddenly can't find the label.

Never needed it though.
    Cool thats a good idea, but it is absolutly ridiculous the amount of times i have had to go back with items that they over charge and the upside is getting the items free but how many people are they ripping off and why cant they get it right, Dunnes stores is as bad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

parsi wrote: »

Never needed it though.

Like this super bargain??? :D

14E1C9330EF344DEAFBD0716E7EDA678-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've been overcharged by Tesco Dundrum nearly every time I've been there. Each time I checked the receipt, brought it to the customer services desk, explained the situation to the guy behind the counter, who sent someone to check the price, who came back and told him that the receipt was wrong and I got a complete refund of the charged price for the items in question (i.e. I got it for free).

If the sign was clearly displayed saying that the store would refund the price of the item charged, then I would argue with them. It's not that I want it for free; it's the principle of the matter.

convert wrote: »
    I've been overcharged by Tesco Dundrum nearly every time I've been there. Each time I checked the receipt, brought it to the customer services desk, explained the situation to the guy behind the counter, who sent someone to check the price, who came back and told him that the receipt was wrong and I got a complete refund of the charged price for the items in question (i.e. I got it for free).

If the sign was clearly displayed saying that the store would refund the price of the item charged, then I would argue with them. It's not that I want it for free; it's the principle of the matter.

Thats what we are all saying. The OP messed up by being too fast on the draw. Hopefully he/she has learned his/her lesson and saves money on the stamp writing to the ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have never had a problem with this.

Always check my reciept , get about 1 free item every 4 visits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭carab

Have to agree with previous posts, OP should have completed transaction and then went to customer service desk. I have never had a problem with Tesco giving full refund. My local Du**es on the other hand----I might aswell be trying to stage a hold-up when I point out an overcharge:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement