Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 5800 Vs E52

• 02-02-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

There's another thread which is compairing 5800 with Hero but I am looking to get either 5800 or E52.

There's loads of people who have used 5800. E52 not so much talked about in this forum.

So how does E52 compares with 5800? Which will be a better choice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I would go with the E52. The resistive touchscreen on the 5800 makes input absolutely horrible. It's also slow and feels cheap and plasticky. The E52 on the otherhand is fairly nippy and solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Thanks, thats what I was tilting towards. I guess it will fit into my pocket nicely as well. Currently using E51 so it will not be a huge change for me.

I'll direct Jonathan to this thread, he's recently upgraded from an E51 to an E52.

Thanks, please do :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Hi coldfire1x,

I've upgraded from an E51 to an E52. I'm very happy with the E52.

The battery life on the E52 is noticeably better than the E51, and comes with a rather useful power saver mode (dims screen etc) that you can enable if you know you aren't going to be able to charge for a while.
    The USB charging on the E52 is both a help and a hindrance. It is useful in the fact that you have a charger by only carrying a USB cable, but a hindrance in the fact that if you forget said cable, chances of someone having a charger / USB micro cable lying around are slim.
    The E52 is thinner but longer and wider than an E51, but it is a better size. The back of the phone has a etched metal back on it, which makes it quite slippy, and prone to slipping out of the hand. I actually got a silicone cover which makes the phone a little bit bigger but scratch proof and less likely to slip out of a hand.

In terms of OS, S60v3.2 is a big step up from the E51's S60v3.1 - There are lots of improvements. The main improvement is the Mail client. It now supports automatic pull IMAP, which, if pulled often enough, is effectly push IMAP. It also natively supports Mail For Exchange, which I don't use for mail, so I can't comment. I only use it for auto syncing my phone calendar with my Google calendar.

The E52 also supports access point grouping (now known as Destinations) which is great in theory, but a bit of a mess, because some applications support the new grouped access point, where as some applications (IMAP mail for example. MfE is not.) which haven't been updated are still fixed to a specific access point.

The E52 has built in GPS and compass, which the E51 didn't. The E52 also qualifies for the new version of Ovi Maps with turn by turn navigation etc.
    The built-in DNLA client is also a handy feature. You can stream music to your phone via your home network, or else use your phone as remote to control other devices on the network.

The one major flaw in the E52 is the lack of on board memory. The E51 had about 130MB, where as the E52 has only about 60MB. This fills up quickly if you like to have all your applications stored on phone memory and content on the memory card like me.

Any more questions, give me a shout.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot, thats a great insight into the product and I found it better than some of the reviews on the net.

The on board memory is a bit of concern - newer version - lesser memory, thats a bit weird.

Thanks again, let me think if I have more question before I buy it :)

By less memory Jonathan means there's less space to store files on the phone rather than a removable card. The E52 has 128 MB RAM vs the 96 MB of the E51, though, which is more significant IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jonathan wrote: »
    Any more questions, give me a shout.

thanks for yhe invite Jonathan :D

how do you find the speaker volume on the E52? my E51 is very very low, to the extent that i have to put it on loudspeaker when on a call anywhere outside a quiet room!

its been back with www.fonefix.ie and "fixed" under warranty but its still the same tbh. this is my only problem with my E51.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

gumbo wrote: »
    thanks for yhe invite Jonathan :D

how do you find the speaker volume on the E52? my E51 is very very low, to the extent that i have to put it on loudspeaker when on a call anywhere outside a quiet room!

its been back with www.fonefix.ie and "fixed" under warranty but its still the same tbh. this is my only problem with my E51.
    Much improved. That also annoyed me about the E51.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Have recently upgraded from e51 to e52, and have to recommend it. Seems superior in every way over what I found to be an excellent phone. Only problem i have at min is that every time the phone is left alone for a few mins, when i unlock the keypad, i get a screen asking to "select connection" from Search for wlan, internet, and wap services.... Would appreciate the help if anyone knows a solution for this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement