Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E85 - Ethanol for Flexifuel Cars

• 02-02-2010 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm waiting delivery of a Clio that runs on any mix of Petrol and/or E85.
    As far as I can make out, Maxol are the only garage selling E85 in Ireland. I'm in the midlands and there is no Maxol with E85 within reasonable distance.

I've emailed Maxol last week for details of expansion of E85 outlets - No reply.
    I also sent Topaz a mail asking if they have plans to sell E85 at the pumps - No reply.

Does anyone have any information of garage/locations with future plans of providing this fuel?
    I'd love to get my hands on some of that 99c/litre fuel.

Only 1.2% of cars sold in 2009 were flexifuel cars - 3% in Jan 2010. (I guess only 3% of the garages need to sell it to keep the market happy)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hi folks,
    I'd love to get my hands on some of that 99c/litre fuel.
    97.9c at my local Maxol.

Afaik most Maxols are franchises - ask at your local Maxol will they get in E85.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Check what the economy difference is between E85 and Unleaded. The price difference is usally greater in the rest of Europe to make it worthwhile to fill with E85. As the difference isn't huge here, but you get a lot worse MPG from ethanol, it might end up cheaper to use petrol.

FlexiFuel vehicles can get a VRT rebate of €2,500 and I think that's the main reason they are sold in Ireland. VAT can be reclaimed on E85 if you are VAT registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The Maxol in Navan and the one in Maynooth sell e85, how close are you to them? You could sync up passing them by altering your commute (as needed) as opposed driving to them when low on fuel.

Note that e85 tanks are frequently let run dry and you may have to use E5 (ie the "standard" fuel they sell).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Maynooth is the nearest. Definitely will fill up with E85 and test mpg vs petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have been doing some calcaulations recently on my 1.8 Volvo bioethanol.

I have worked out that with the mileage achieved and the price of unleaded against the mileage achieved and the cost of E85 that they actually work out the same price in the end........................STRANGE :mad:

I have a maxol fuel card for that reason but low and behold the ONLY maxol stations within 50kms of me has not had a working E85 pump in 2 weeks so Im coughing up for unleaded.

However, see the other point above. In the long run it is working out the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Berty wrote: »
    I have been doing some calcaulations recently on my 1.8 Volvo bioethanol.

I have worked out that with the mileage achieved and the price of unleaded against the mileage achieved and the cost of E85 that they actually work out the same price in the end........................STRANGE :mad:

I have a maxol fuel card for that reason but low and behold the ONLY maxol stations within 50kms of me has not had a working E85 pump in 2 weeks so Im coughing up for unleaded.

However, see the other point above. In the long run it is working out the same.

How about performance? I read somewhere that E85's higher octane value delivers more power? Is this true?

Advertisement