Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Development Racing: Round 1

Options
  • 02-02-2010 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

The first of the developmental XC Race Series events commences on 21st Feb. in Ballinastoe, Wicklow.
    poster_dev_xc_rnd1.jpg

This 3 race series is aimed at the beginner/novice and underage categories (no Senior categories) and there won’t be any savage climbs, everything will be rideable.

Full details including online registration are to be found on the Irish XC website!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Any events suitable for 8 year olds ?

So young Fowl and young BCMF can renew their rivalry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cool, hope to give this a go. Any idea on what the loop is? If anyone wants to offer me a lift from Dublin I'd gladly accept.

I have experience as a roadie but have never raced MTB before, should I be A or B? I'm pretty fast on fireroads climbs or otherwise but atrocious on singletrack. My MTB experience extends to looping around Ballinastoe a few times and a lot of falling off. I'm very good at that one, I brought my extensive road skills to bear on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

I believe the race will be a figure of 8 consisting of the last single track of the normal ballinastoe loop and the end of the epic blast course.

More info here: http://www.epicmtb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=79671#post79671 which seems to indicate an under 8 category.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

blorg wrote: »
    I have experience as a roadie but have never raced MTB before, should I be A or B? I'm pretty fast on fireroads climbs or otherwise but atrocious on singletrack. My MTB experience extends to looping around Ballinastoe a few times and a lot of falling off. I'm very good at that one, I brought my extensive road skills to bear on it.
    I'm sure you'd be absolutely fine in the A race - your level of fitness will more than make up for any technical deficiencies. Chances are there will be a stretch of fire road from the start, most likely climbing, so if you start fast you'll be well ahead by the time you hit the singletrack and as it's being designed for newcomers, it's unlikely to be too technical. I'd imagine the majority of those taking part will be regular mountain bikers so they'd be reasonably proficient but most will not be super fit.

Greyspoke wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd be absolutely fine in the A race - your level of fitness will more than make up for any technical deficiencies. Chances are there will be a stretch of fire road from the start, most likely climbing, so if you start fast you'll be well ahead by the time you hit the singletrack and as it's being designed for newcomers, it's unlikely to be too technical. I'd imagine the majority of those taking part will be regular mountain bikers so they'd be reasonably proficient but most will not be super fit.
    In other words my level of fitness will get me onto the singletrack first where I can block everyone :D

Seriously though I make sure to stay out of people's way when being lapped as a cross newbie; there is less opportunity to do this in Ballinastoe and I don't want to be frustrating people!

The few spins I have gone on I am generally towards the front on the uphills and the back on the downhills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

You'll be grand, its a beginners race, and everyone will be in the same boat.

Not like Robin is going to come up and sandbag it anyway.

I however.... *rubs carbon steed*
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

im gonna give this a go aswell . more as a bit of a spin than a race ! should be good fun , hopefully it aint anything like last years nps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lazy-biker

it will be nothing like last years Nps

if you have any questions get yer selfs over to the epic forum and ask Richie will have no* problems answering them

*don't ask dumb questions

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

shall be at this myself gonna bring the youngfella too make a day of it should be good crack.

sgriffin wrote: »
    im gonna give this a go aswell . more as a bit of a spin than a race ! should be good fun , hopefully it aint anything like last years nps :rolleyes:

you best be starting at the back ye feckin cheat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Whats the etiquette on overtaking on single track?? Roar and shout at the guy in front or muscle your way passed?

I won't be entering, I'm just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Whats the etiquette on overtaking on single track?? Roar and shout at the guy in front or muscle your way passed?

First A then B if necessary I'd imagine.

nomadic wrote: »
    First A then B if necessary I'd imagine.
    I was sort of hoping on patiently waiting... it is then a race to the top of the fireroad, as God intended.

>also interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you're being lapped, then let them through. Otherwise its racing. I'm usually kind to everyone though (unless they get shouty/agressive).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

'Rider Up' - as loud as you dare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Put the deposit on a Scott Scale. So this could be one of my first times out on a mountain bike in 5 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MTBRacing

sgriffin wrote: »

It will definitely be much better than the Sorrento NPS race last year!
    This course is designed for fun and to be fully rideable, no ridiculous swampy rivers or mud chutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 adzer086

This is going to be a great series of races. Anyone interested in racing at this level should be there. The course is perfect . There are no creasing climbs or mud baths, just lots of fast flowing single track and fun technical sections. The amount of effort going into this is massive and you will not be dissapointed when you get there!!!

SO COME ON PEOPLE...GET SIGNED UP!!!

It will make you deadly!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

im there also.

takin a trip to ballinastoe this weekend for the craic.

should be hilarious..... to watch !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Great fun, good course. Short and sharp. Any others boardsies in attendance ? Fenris was there, suffering from a dodgy wrist.

A few photos at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gavinogorman/sets/72157623480977470/
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Arek.Gogojewicz/DevelRace#

4376834932_626a41af20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

• Advertisement

I don't know what's going on with my lips, it's a bit... unpleasant. Crud catcher from now on.

crud catchers are for wimmin and goobers

lazy-biker wrote: »
    crud catchers are for wimmin and goobers

If it keeps from me from drinkin sheep sh1t, I'm all on for it !

eh its deer shoite

I was going with the alliteration for effect

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I was there also great fun, painfull but really enjoyed racing. I quickly realised when i got there that i had registered for the wrong catergory. But must say the five laps was great! Glad i did it.

Also had my fair share of dear shoite, actually its not as bad as one might think when mixed with sports drink.

Advertisement