Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RCT Problem please help

• 02-02-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I had a RCT Audit recently in which I had no relevant payments cards for 7 haulage companies. Of the 7 haulage companies 5 had c2 cards and 2 did not. I have now been hit with a fine from revenue for the 35% of the contract values of all 7 haulage companies contracts, interest and a 10% penalty. I accept I owe monies and interest on the 2 haulage contractors that didn’t have a c2 card but I don’t accept the charge on all the contractors as the money owed to revenue would have been paid over to them in the first place as they carried c2 cards at the time and were tax complaint companies. Is there anything I can do to argue my case please help as it is quite a large liability at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

sorry if this doesn't sound too helpful but you are better off seeking professional advice on this one from an accountant/tax adviser directly as you will need to make your case to the Revenue and an agent would be of great assistance in this process.

by the letter of the law, they are right to fine you but by putting up a solid argument (inability to pay, once off mistake with lesson learned etc) you might be able to reduce the fine or even get rid of it for the subbies you did not have cards for. Professional help here will be invalid as most agents would have dealt with this before and would be able to put a stronger case forward in your defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

badgehayes wrote: »
    I had a RCT Audit recently in which I had no relevant payments cards for 7 haulage companies. Of the 7 haulage companies 5 had c2 cards and 2 did not. I have now been hit with a fine from revenue for the 35% of the contract values of all 7 haulage companies contracts, interest and a 10% penalty. I accept I owe monies and interest on the 2 haulage contractors that didn’t have a c2 card but I don’t accept the charge on all the contractors as the money owed to revenue would have been paid over to them in the first place as they carried c2 cards at the time and were tax complaint companies. Is there anything I can do to argue my case please help as it is quite a large liability at the moment.

Out of a matter of interest, did you query it with Revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Accountancy

I hate to tell you this but you were required by law to have gotten the payments cards. But there is an upside. You will initally have to apy everything but the only cost you will in the end have incurred is the penalty and interest.

What you need to do is fill up rctdc for the companies. You then agree with the haulage companies that you will give them the rctdc's and they will in turn refund you the money or knock it of your bill with them. It will all work out ok.

Contact your accountant. Did they not explain all this at the time of the audit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 badgehayes

Thank you Accountancy for your help, So what your saying is I write the cheque out to revenue as per schedule giving to me by the revenue auditor that did the audit, but at the same time fill out c45's for all the contractors involved with the intention of working something out between the subbies and myself for the refund they will receive once they have there c2 cards up to date.

Afraid none of this was explained to me. I am finding even very hard to make contact with the revenue auditor as she will not take calls or emails as sufficient correspondence to the case and has asked that I make an appointment for a meeting if I want to make contact, which is not easily done if I want to keep my business going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Accountancy

Thank you Accountancy for your help, So what your saying is I write the cheque out to revenue as per schedule giving to me by the revenue auditor that did the audit, but at the same time fill out c45's for all the contractors involved with the intention of working something out between the subbies and myself for the refund they will receive once they have there c2 cards up to date.

Afraid none of this was explained to me. I am finding even very hard to make contact with the revenue auditor as she will not take calls or emails as sufficient correspondence to the case and has asked that I make an appointment for a meeting if I want to make contact, which is not easily done if I want to keep my business going.

badgehayes,

Where is your accountant? You should make contact with them. If you had notified the revenue at the start of the audit you would have had less interest to pay.
    If you are having problems getting in contact with the revenue auditor look for her supervisor. You'll get an answer then.

Alot of the subbies should give you a cheque as soon as you give them the rctdc. Some may have to wait for the refund to come through. do not let them take advantage of you on this. Call them explain what has happened. Explain that you will give them the rctdc and ask will they agree to give you the refund. They should agree no problem

If you have any questions come back to me.
    good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement