Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening in Letterkenny

Options
  • 02-02-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm living in Letterkenny and looking to get my daughter Christened. Does St Eunan's Cathedral do regular christenings and does anyone know whether it's a Saturday or Sunday? Whats the going rate these days? €50 in a brown envelope?

Thanks

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Google is your friend. Gave them a ring and need to ring back later and speak to a priest. Seems like they do Sundays.

Would still like to know if anyone has an experience of Christenings there. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Christenings are held in st eunans on a sunday after mass. They will normally do a few christenings at the same time. I think parents are requested to go to pre christening class. Call up to the parochial house and ask there for information.

Trish2007 wrote: »
    Christenings are held in st eunans on a sunday after mass. They will normally do a few christenings at the same time. I think parents are requested to go to pre christening class. Call up to the parochial house and ask there for information.

I was talking to them and they only do Christenings on a Sunday as you say. Is there any churches nearby that would do a Chrisening on a Saturday? Don't mind travelling 30 minutes or so away. We've a lot of family/friends coming from across the water/Dublin and Saturday would be a million times better for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You would need to ring round parishes; and as someone has said, they would need for you to attend a pre-Christening class etc.

It is a serious commitment as you know.

Try the larger towns eg Donegal?

All phone numbers etc are on the Catholic Ireland site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I dont know of anyone who has had a christening on any day other than a sunday. Saturdays are busy days for priests with weddings and saturday evening mass but all you can do is ring around and ask,

• Advertisement

It does happen; we have met Christening parties on days other than Sundays in Donegal Town.

Which is why I suggested here.

Most priests will accommodate parents if approached.

Most also have eg Saturday morning Mass of course. Which would fit this very well indeed.

Good luck!
    Trish2007 wrote: »
    I dont know of anyone who has had a christening on any day other than a sunday. Saturdays are busy days for priests with weddings and saturday evening mass but all you can do is ring around and ask,

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

Flushdraw wrote: »
    I was talking to them and they only do Christenings on a Sunday as you say. Is there any churches nearby that would do a Chrisening on a Saturday? Don't mind travelling 30 minutes or so away. We've a lot of family/friends coming from across the water/Dublin and Saturday would be a million times better for everyone.

I think the priest in Newtowncunningham does Christenings on a Saturday and a Sunday. Phone No. 9156138

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

I know a few people who had their babies Christened on a Saturday. Doesn't appear to be a problem if you organise it well in advance.

Personal opinion, but I do not agree with the pre-christening classes....
    In this day, I don't think anyone should be told how 'serious' a Christening is. The Catholic Church should only be too happy to welcome the new without judging the parents beliefs in advance.....

Just my thoughts...

Your reply exemplifies why the pre-Christening classes exist and are vital.

There is no "judgement" in this; simply ensuring that the commitment in the sacrament is fully understood and valued.

The Catholic Church needs true members, not those simply coming for a social reason or with ideas alien to its teachings.

This is what has happened with eg First Communion and Confirmation and in some cases with weddings.

These are very serious commitments indeed.

If ( and I am sure that this does not apply to the OP) there emerge at the pre-Christening classes teachings that the parents do not agree with, they they are better finding a different tradition to raise their child in.

That is fine too.

I know a few people who had their babies Christened on a Saturday. Doesn't appear to be a problem if you organise it well in advance.

Personal opinion, but I do not agree with the pre-christening classes....
    In this day, I don't think anyone should be told how 'serious' a Christening is. The Catholic Church should only be too happy to welcome the new without judging the parents beliefs in advance.....

Just my thoughts...

Thanks for all the comments folks, much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

Ok that is your opinion. May be better to post that on the Religious forum so we don't go off topic...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=333
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Your reply exemplifies why the pre-Christening classes exist and are vital.

There is no "judgement" in this; simply ensuring that the commitment in the sacrament is fully understood and valued.

The Catholic Church needs true members, not those simply coming for a social reason or with ideas alien to its teachings.

This is what has happened with eg First Communion and Confirmation and in some cases with weddings.

These are very serious commitments indeed.

If ( and I am sure that this does not apply to the OP) there emerge at the pre-Christening classes teachings that the parents do not agree with, they they are better finding a different tradition to raise their child in.

That is fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Please stay on topic here please.

Im not really into repeating myself so pay heed.

Advertisement