Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning slatted shed

• 02-02-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hello,
    just wondering what everyone on here use to clean their slatted sheds:

- what powerhose do ye use (pto or standard powerhose)
    - do you use any type of disinfectant or detergent mixed in with the powerhose

Found it very hard to clean it last yr with a standard powerhose.

Think the PTO driven ones are meant to be very good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

westlander wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a pto power washer with one of those ball bearing heads on it (don't know the exact term for them). I find it really great for jobs like the slatted shed, but it can be a little too powerful for washing machinery as it will strip paint if you are not careful. I don't use detergent at all as I have been told that it kills the bacteria in the slurry. No bacteria in the slurry means a slower break down and harder agitated. (Whether that's true or not, I do not know). But I find no need for detergent anyway. It takes about half an hour per bay to wash slats, walls, gates and barriers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭westlander

reilig wrote: »
    I have a pto power washer with one of those ball bearing heads on it (don't know the exact term for them). I find it really great for jobs like the slatted shed, but it can be a little too powerful for washing machinery as it will strip paint if you are not careful. I don't use detergent at all as I have been told that it kills the bacteria in the slurry. No bacteria in the slurry means a slower break down and harder agitated. (Whether that's true or not, I do not know). But I find no need for detergent anyway. It takes about half an hour per bay to wash slats, walls, gates and barriers etc.

Hello Rellig,
    Sounds like the right powerhose to have.

Can I ask what make is it?
    Do you need barrels for water or do you get a hose line with it to hook up to a tap?

Thanks

Hello Rellig,
    Sounds like the right powerhose to have.

Can I ask what make is it?
    Do you need barrels for water or do you get a hose line with it to hook up to a tap?

Thanks

Its a Jetwash I believe, but it has a standard pump that is in most makes of pto washer, made in Italy, I think. Jetwash only manufacture the frame and assemble the hoses.

You need barrels of water for it. It sucks up the water itself from the barrel. It also has a little tube for sucking up detergent if you want to use it. Have it over 10 years now. It cost about £550 at the time. The ballbearing head was not standard on it. I fitted it afterwards.

reilig wrote: »
    Its a Jetwash I believe, but it has a standard pump that is in most makes of pto washer, made in Italy, I think. Jetwash only manufacture the frame and assemble the hoses.

You need barrels of water for it. It sucks up the water itself from the barrel. It also has a little tube for sucking up detergent if you want to use it. Have it over 10 years now. It cost about £550 at the time. The ballbearing head was not standard on it. I fitted it afterwards.

I see. Did a quick check on websites there. This 1 seems good:

http://www.aquawash.co.uk/products/heavy-duty-pto-tractor-driven.aspx#BASIC%20Tractor%20Driven%20PTO%20Pump

But might get screwed on tax if I bought it over in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tvo

westlander i use a PTO powerwasher to clean the slatted shed find it very useful but would recommend wetting down the shed a day before hand softent the sh1t€

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, wetting the sh** a day before makes a big difference.:D

ok thanks for that.
    Are there any dealers thats sells these PTO driven washers?
    Is HAWK a good make?

I see. Did a quick check on websites there. This 1 seems good:

http://www.aquawash.co.uk/products/heavy-duty-pto-tractor-driven.aspx#BASIC%20Tractor%20Driven%20PTO%20Pump

But might get screwed on tax if I bought it over in the uk

Looked at that site, the one on the frame is similiar to the one that I have. As I said, many of the pumps on these washers are manufactured by the one company in Italy.

There would be nothing wrong with briging one in from the uk if you could get it at the right price - there would be no extra tax on it.

I agree with the other guys too about wetting it down a day before - or else, wash out your sheds the day that the cattle are let out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

Hi ya was thinking of buying a pto driven one 2! HAWK seem to be a fairly popular type! Alot of people around here seem to be selling them! Just wonderin is dis true was talking 2 sum1 at de ploughin dis year who was sellin power washers, e says dat u dont need to have ur tractor reved up to 2000, he says 1100/1200rpm is plenty to get 3000psi on dis type, is dis common on all models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

iano93 wrote: »
    Hi ya was thinking of buying a pto driven one 2! HAWK seem to be a fairly popular type! Alot of people around here seem to be selling them! Just wonderin is dis true was talking 2 sum1 at de ploughin dis year who was sellin power washers, e says dat u dont need to have ur tractor reved up to 2000, he says 1100/1200rpm is plenty to get 3000psi on dis type, is dis common on all models?

yes if you switch to the 1000rpm pto the pressure increases a good bit without having the tractor too highly revved.
    as was said they all use the itilian pump and they are way ahead of those electric ones you can buy in the hardwares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

dont like those pto driven pressure washers , too impractical having to rig a tractor up to them , much perfer the engine driven ones

p.s , always thought it unesscesery , washing slats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

mossfort wrote: »
    yes if you switch to the 1000rpm pto the pressure increases a good bit without having the tractor too highly revved.
    as was said they all use the itilian pump and they are way ahead of those electric ones you can buy in the hardwares.
    Ya but i only have a 540rpm pto on our tractor, dats de one he was going 2 sell to us he said u dont need to be doing 540rpm to get sufficent pressure less is plenty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Razmond

We have a hawk, great washer, use a wheelie bin for water handy to move around. The ball bearing head is called a Turbo head, it has a ceramic insert that moves, great item to have. It will lift paint of walls, cars etc, perfect for conc yards. We have a a 540 speed pto head, a 1000 speed pto head, not as good as the turbo head on slats. I am impressed with teh man who can clean 1 bay in 30 minutes. Th eminute the cattle leave theslats I wash them it takes me about 4 hrs to clean the shed, gates, barriers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hello,

Hi

we used use an electric power hose, 2 years ago we got a PTO driven one, much better job. It runs at 540 rpm, and as it takes very little HP to drive it, we put the tractor's pto to 1000 rpm, and give it very little revs. so the tractor is more a less ticking over, while at the same time generating enough pressure to strip an inch of dung of the walls. it sucks water from a barrel, but we need 2 taps filling the it while the power hose is working, and we have fairly high pressure in our taps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I have a PTO powerwasher and i get the water from 40 gallon barrels with a hose feeding it water. it can be used on machinery without stripping paint at low revs. It is a jetwash. when finished cleaning shed i put on mask and goggles and mix some jeyes fluid with the barrel of water and spray it all over the shed. it comes down in a kind of mist. then i leave the doors open and the wind coming through should dry it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

I have a PTO powerwasher and i get the water from 40 gallon barrels with a hose feeding it water. it can be used on machinery without stripping paint at low revs. It is a jetwash. when finished cleaning shed i put on mask and goggles and mix some jeyes fluid with the barrel of water and spray it all over the shed. it comes down in a kind of mist. then i leave the doors open and the wind coming through should dry it

the jeyes fluid wont do any good for the pump on your powerwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

mossfort wrote: »
    the jeyes fluid wont do any good for the pump on your powerwasher.

This powerwasher has lasted so long i wouldnt mind too much if it kicked the bucket but i will keep that in mind for the next one.

Advertisement