Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A long...Long way to go

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Well today marks my first day of training.
    I'm a complete novice. I'm a 19 year old male who is terribly unfit. I could count on my hands the amount of proper physical work outs i've had in the last six months. I'm still quite slim, thank god for my youthful metabolism. But if i let this happen again in ten years, even 5 years, i'd be terribly overweight so i want to start now.

My first lesson is to prepare for training properly in terms of diet.

This morning i did 1 km in 9:52. Shocking time probably, i guess.
    But whats even worse is that i got an awful stitch. So any tips on how to avoid this? i had a peanut butter bagel about an hour before running. I aim to do a 5/10 km some time before the summer starts. dunno if i'm setting sights too high or low?

Basically the end goal is the marathon. This is probably too high a goal but feck you all i'll walk it if i have to.

So i'm starting from the bottom, the very very bottom on know nothing. Any advice at all is welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

First thing to remember is that everyone started from exactly the same place you are right now.
    Take a look at this program, its highly recommended here and seems to have a lot of success
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Remember less is more right now, the worst thing you could do is start off too hard and either get injured or fed up because you dont think you can do it.

Pick yourself a 5K race in around 2 to 3 months and enter it. It will give you great motivation to keep going. dont worry about what time you will run it in or anything like that your first goal will be to finish.

If you are thinking of the marathon in Dublin this year well it's possible but realistially I would leave it until 2011 give yourself a good base of training before you push your body that hard. I started running htis time last year and am aiming to run the marathon this year.

This forum is full of good advice and people happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Thanks for the advice, i'll see how this year goes.

I fear beer may be an obstacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good luck Gerty.
    I started where you are now about a year ago and managed to complete the marathon in 4:15 last october. Stick with it. Don't try to push yourself too hard too soon or else you will burn yourself out. That said, you will find yourself progressing quite quickly. If I were you I would aim for a 5k race in a few months. Once you are able to run 10k, you are in a position to start a novice marathon program, they normally last 18 weeks so that would be around the end of June- you have loads of time. Bset of luck again, stick around this forum and you will get loads of good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Good luck with it. I just started recently as well, and after my first effort I was back at my door after 12 minutes, wrecked. But it gets easier on the 2nd and 3rd outings.

On getting rid of the stitch - A friend who has run a marathon says that you can get rid of a stitch by altering your breathing pattern when you get the stitch. That's one of the suggestions on the following link as well. (Its on the internet so it must be true.)

http://running.about.com/od/runningforbeginners/f/sidestitch.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's easy to throw yourself into it too fast and get discouraged, better to build up gradually. The couch to 5k programme BrokenMan linked to is good, the idea is that you start off alternating walking and running, running for longer each week. (There are some free podcasts by Robert Ullrey you can download from iTunes based on the programme, I found them really useful)

Walk when you need to, take plenty of rest days to allow your body to recover, build up distances slowly - and just keep putting one front in front of the other. You'll get there.

• Advertisement

just got back from my second run there. walked up to the old markings of a gaa pitch on a hill.it was very windy and wet. i did one full lap then did,six laps of walking/running (walking the first half and then jogging the second half). Breathing usually started to labour at the end of the jogging half. didn't time any laps or anything but i was up there for about 23 minutes.

Felt a bit unsteady on my feet at the end and also felt the left side of my thigh?(not a clue what part of the body it is?)
    but its 20 minutes later now and i feel great.

Thinking of giving the running a break tomorrow and maybe doing the cross-trainer? I really don't know if that'd be worth it, any tips?

Two days in and its the longest commitment of a individual sporting nature i've ever kept.

I've been having pm's coming in their droves to my inbox so i thought i'd give my next update.

Today i did ten minutes on the cross-trainer doing 311 steps at resistance 7. Took a break for a few minutes and then went back, and did 215 steps in 6 minutes.

Thanks for all the support. You guys have been great, lots of people have been asking me what i've done since my last update so i'll update my followers.

Today i ran just over one and a half miles around a gaa pitch in 15 minutes without stopping. Then i got a stitch, so i stopped. I'm heading to the country for the weekend. Might check out what the gaa pitches are like down there.

I really seem to have struck a chord with the running public. All your messages of support me so much to me.

Saturday, 6th of feb: approx. 2 km run down country lanes in the west in around 18 minutes.

Tuesday 9th of feb: Did around two km's in around twenty five minutes intervalling with walking.
    Then i hit up the cross-trainer for just five minutes and did over two steps at resistance seven.

And Today, Thursday 11th of february did 2 miles in around twenty five minutes.

My knee has been pretty sore this week and ankle, i think it might be the fact i've been training in astro-soccer runners. i think i'll invest in better footwear once i can afford it.

Also i'll be skiing from tuesday to saturday next week. Don't know that'll effect my running or fitness. Any thoughts..talk to joe.

Today i cracked open a bit of badminton, reeling in the years.
    Dropping shots like nobody's business. Felt quite good although its not the toughest workout really is it?

Also, i appreciate all the concern showed for my recent injuries, but i'd like you all to know that i did get my gait analysis done today.
    I had a pair of Broke Glycer's recommended to me, anyone any information on them? One hundred and ten euro, down to one hundred with my deposit.
    Runner, Running, my cup runeth full.

• Advertisement

Got a run in on monday the fifteenth of feb, went back up to the gaa pitch and ran seven laps without stopping so definitely improving. Then i spent the rest of the week on the slopes of austria. Cross-training to the max!

Well its been a poor start to the week. I haven't done much at all. But have got a bit of running, sit ups, press-ups and some other good exercises in today. Well happy. Thinking of going swimming in the morning? Would that be of any general help to a runner, since i'm not doing a tri or anything like that?
    Also, i'm still suffering from stiches. Forcing me to stop, suspicions that it could my body going into shock that i'm actually exercising but who know's? Anywho, any tips to stop them before they come??

Thank you very much sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

consistency is crucial,
    regarding the stitches: how soon are you eating before your runs?

Usually longer than an hour i'd say. At least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Ah, see, there you go. You're thinking of the eating-before-swimming rule.;)

So you think i should eat sooner or later then?

Anyway, it had been a poor week since i got back from skiing but i came back with a bang this week.

Monday, 1st March - A game of football with the lads on a the all-weather pitch. Felt like crap before, during and after. It was the first time i'd played in months and i'm sure you'll be devastated to know my performance was quite poor. But its all training under my belt. Goals scored- None. Assists- none.

Tuesday, 2nd March - Just gone up to the aul' familiar, my local disused gaa pitch on the hill. New personal best (Distance wise), i ran 9 laps in 24 minutes. Which is one lap every 2.6666667 minutes. Yes that is the blistering pace i am keeping. My favorite training session so far by a mile. It was lovely and sunny. It was just awesome. Humor me.

MARCH IS MY MONTH!

Edit- Just looking at the St. Patrick's day 5k, i know thats pittance to everyone else but is it too soon for me?

From my calculations on conversions, i'm running just over 2 miles on 9 laps.

Advice welcome, thank you very much.

Gerty wrote: »
    Edit- Just looking at the St. Patrick's day 5k, i know thats pittance to everyone else but is it too soon for me?

What's the worst that can happen? You have to take a walking break?
    You may as well give it a go, but remember to start off slowly, don't get carried away by the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Gerty wrote: »
    So you think i should eat sooner or later then?

MARCH IS MY MONTH!

Yoink - March is my month! Excluding yesterday. March can start today!

You should definitely do the paddy's day 5k. Where is it on? It'll give you an idea of a time for yourself. And if there's a good atmosphere you won't even notice the extra mile!*

*Warning - this is a fellow beginner's perspective!

I'm sure it'll be fine though. And you'll feel great after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Give it a go Gerty. :)
    4 laps = 1 mile so at that pace you would run 3 miles in just under 32 minutes which isn't bad going at all for starting out. In a 5k race there'll probably be some people walking and some walk/ running so you won't be last :p.
    A lot of people starting out make breaking 5k in 30 minutes their first goal so why don't you set that as your target with 31 mins as a secondary aim. You'll surprise yourself on the day when the adrenaline kicks in but as Raycun says don't get carried away with the speed of the crowd for the first 1-2 k and you'll be grand.

claralara wrote: »
    Yoink - March is my month! Excluding yesterday. March can start today!

You should definitely do the paddy's day 5k. Where is it on? It'll give you an idea of a time for yourself. And if there's a good atmosphere you won't even notice the extra mile!*

*Warning - this is a fellow beginner's perspective!

I'm sure it'll be fine though. And you'll feel great after.

I think its starts at noon at the mansion house, which i think is on Dawson street. Thanks for the encouragement from everyone else as well, i'll go for it. Exciting stuff.

• Advertisement

Its been a good day all round. Did over 450 full steps at maximum resistance on the cross-trainer. Took around 15 minutes. I just did some general press-ups and other stretches and what not.

Just to keep me ticking over on my rest day.

I also went out and used some of my elvery's voucher and got some swimming goggles, some swimming flip-flops, and a pair of running socks. Really don't know what difference they will make but the socks are were using are shocking so.

Still priority is to get shoes. Have a pair of brooke glycerin's on reserve but can't raise the €100 euro for them.

Edit- Still don't know how useful taking up swimming will be or could someone recommend any other sport??

March mania continued today with another steady 9 laps of the the aul' markings of the gaa pitch in 26 minutes. I probably could have gone on but i'd only ever ran nine laps once before so i wanted to try get a bit more used to that distance.

I managed fairly well, got a small stitch twice but just slowed down and ran through it. Otherwise i'm feeling pretty good.

That race isn't actually on the 17th, its on the sunday before, the 14th i think. Only ten days to prepare from now then. From general calculations, i'd say i have to be able to run the equivalent of around 12-13 laps on the day to make the 5k. Right now if i really pushed i'd say i could do maybe 10 1/2 or so. But we'll see. I might try up it again tomorrow. I don't want to overtrain anyway.

I know this is probably a boring old post but its helping me see what i have to do, by writing it out in front.

Anyway, happy days.

Been working all weekend so have been shattered.

depressed because i probably can't afford new runners and the race.

10 laps in 29 minutes.:(

I have awoken.

5 Months later and i'm back to square one. Its been crazy but thats no excuse.

3 runs in the last week or so. i've also been doing the aul' press ups and sit ups. And i've added the skipping rope.

New runners to boot. Here we go.

take another look at the couch to 5k programme linked above. Consistency really is the key thing when you're starting any new project, so following a structured plan is a big help.

I've got a plan but its more of a checklist for the week because with work i don't have a regualr schedule. Thank you for your continuing support. I won't let you down this time coach.

What is wrong with me? I still can't stick to it after i invested my money.
    Attempt #3. Here we go. 2 runs to get back out there yesterday and today. If i go 10 days without updating i'm gonna put it to bed completely.

Advertisement