Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's not right/right in DIT? What's occurring?

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46

DIT News is intended to inform students on what is happening on campus - the good and the bad - and to report and investigate the status of your issues - and publicize them of course.

We need to know what's going well for you, what's going badly, what have you seen and thought - that's not right/that is a great service

Just send me any topics you think deserve a deeper look - you can send to Fionnuala at news.dit@gmail.com and we can talk more - we can keep it anonymous if necessary.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

* It would be nice to be able to access Web Timetables, its been down for days now..
    * It would be nice to be posted in advance of returning to college, a timetable or even some details so you dont need to be guessing when your back
    * It would be nice for exam results to be released before we are actually back (and be given clear indicators on when they will be out, at present its just "guesswork")
    * It would be nice to ditch that crappy mydit mail system for a better one
    * It would also be nice if webcourses was available 24/7, at present server reboots every night :(

Theres a few issiues I can think of at present... DT228 student...,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Would be nice if we had a news paper that published more than one issue per semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

A properly maintained network would be nice. Took nearly 10 mins to log in the other day. Draconian restrictions on the machines throughout Kevin street are a pain in the testicles when you need to do some actual work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

A unified system would also be nice. I brought it up at a recent course meeting (I'm a class rep, go me...) and while most lecturers agree'd having webcourses, moodle, the web, webct and whatever else as a means of distributing information is confusing, one argued that "we're software engineers and should handle it". Which I disagree with. He hasn't come up against the notion of semantic web at all.

A unified system that's free would be grand. Google apps could handle everything DIT needs without the cost or system overheads as well as being easier to maintain. I'm sure google would be more then happy to help implement a large-scale system too. They did it elsewhere in the states on large campuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

The complete lack of toilet paper in Bolton St is a disgrace, a travesty, a scandal ranking up there with Iris Robinson and the young fella. It would be fine if the Metro Herald am wasn't so scratchy.
    If you really want to do something about this problem, print DIT News on soft, absorbent paper :D.

• Advertisement

and the toilets smell . . . and some of the toilet doors don't lock . . . and the graffiti in the toliet's no good . . . and what's the point of having women's toilets in Bolton St?:D

BTW I sent you a PM - it's not about toilets, it's about something more serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 penpusher

Thanks guys - I'll look into them - please keep them coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Heres my main pet peeve,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63674194#post63674194

Also, I expect any report you'll be doing will be referenced and quoted correctly.

Unfortunately I've had trouble with your lot before.....:rolleyes:

So your pet peeve is the exams in January, correct? Just making sure 'my lot' have right peeve..:)

Sheeps wrote: »
    Would be nice if we had a news paper that published more than one issue per semester.
    jfyi - paper comes out once a month - 3 so far, 4 to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I actually rather like the exams in January a lot more time to study, so it messes chrsitmass a bit but makes the final weeks of college in December more bareable and since a lot of DIT courses have a heavy emphasis on CA it means one is not being affected by the other. I think every college should follow DITs example.

My pet peave is the lack of communications, no word as of yet as to what our results are or when they are coming out. Same thing happened with the repeats which over half my class were doing, (around 17 out of 37 failed one exam alone), people were back 2 weeks before being told they could not progress to 4th year which I find rediculous. Put it this way, we only had one exam at christmass and it was on the second day of exams yet we are waiting results when other, bigger, courses who had exams later then us have their results already? All the CA results should have been ready before exams so that is not an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I don't go along with this post-xmas exams ruin Christmas malarky. How long is Christmas anyway if you're not 10? 2 days? 3 days max. Unless you are one of those student parents, I don't see why you would be complaining about having an excuse to get back up to college rather than vegetating in front of the television with your family who are asking hard questions you can't answer.

It's like any other time of the year, except it's colder and you have to eat a big dinner and exchange presents on one of the days. Exams are not The Grinch, because you are not 7 any more.

Yes DIT does not work as well as other colleges. My experience being that of UL where everything was perfect, but I learned nothing. I think I prefer where I am now. People are so pissy about things that are fairly trivial. If you can't access webcourses after 3am and you know this, download what you need before 3am and use it offline. Get your timetable from a classmate if for some reason you don't already have it printed, or at least saved somewhere.

Exam results are a bit of a pisser, but again what difference is it going to make. "I want to know my results before college starts again" All well and good. I want my results sooner rather than later also, but they'll be the same results whether you get them now, or in conjunction with your Summer results. In UL usually results weren't out until the next semester and even then there was at least a 3 week break between exams and start of new semester. You want a correction turn around of less than 2 weeks. How long did your leaving cert take?

If after the exam results come out and you're complaining that you haven't passed enough modules to make it into the next phase of whatever course you're doing, maybe the fault is not with DIT ITD.

mydit email is crappy, but it serves its purpose. If you're using it as your main email address, PM me and I'll point you in the direction of a number of other good email providers - gmail is quite handy I hear. I'll hunt the www for you.

I had my timetable before I was back

Toilets smell because people piss and **** in them. Bring some glade freshener in if you'd like, but I would take another lab assistant over the toilets smelling like pot pourri.

Pro DIT rant over.

In DIT Kevin St students are studying for exams from which they will eventually achieve degrees, but every ****ing plumber who decides that a piece of carpet needs looking at has to have a big ****ing loud conversation with the carpet man about the most inane **** with no consideration for those studying. I don't study there because I can study at home, but for the students living where study is not so much a possibility surely it must be torture. Even the library staff speak at full volume while they check out books and chat among themselves. And of course the students are not without blame. Full volume 5 man conversations going on in the middle of people trying to study, but what kind of example is being set by the 'grown ups' moving within the library. These are degree programmes, they are a serious business

Any possibility of a security presence in the library stopping staff and students from making too much noise. Rather than the security men spending their days, from what I can see, farting, why not get them upstairs shutting people up. Even a SU officer would be an improvement?

Also the other day i tried to renew a book from home but I was told that I owed too much money. €1.50 for christ sake, I tried to pay it earlier, but they didn't have change. Then I forgot to bring it in the next day so the fine is probably the princely sum of €2.30 now. And I have to cart the massive ****ing Biology book all the way in on my back, just to turn around and bring it home again.

Also I'm looking for a date for Valentines day

You're looking for a date for Valentine's Day?

Hey, so am I! Maybe we could . . . Are you a girl? Cos if you're not a girl, this could get awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pianofella

ill join in so its not awkward, unless we touch hands or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Lets not derail the thread here guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

hows about some exam results... seriously this is ridiculous. It's the 8th of February. Exams ended 22nd January. I know some were postponed but for heavens sake this is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

How about some warning in the CAO handbook along the lines of "Save Yourself - Study Harder - Go Elsewhere"?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

No exam results yet either, but besides that.... No mystery tour. Seems like we're one of the only colleges that doesnt have one. Was told that its not feasible... bull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Results apparantly will be out on the 23rd.

As for the mystery tour Im sure if you search here you will find the reasons behind it. Basicly they used to have them but they got banned by the college after a few people got reallly messy and trouble broke out with the police being involved in the end, it brought really bad publicity to DIT and its students and ever since it has been banned, they tried to get around it one year but they could advertise it properly due to the restrictions etc and so people were refunded money and it was canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Basicly they used to have them but they got banned by the college after a few people got reallly messy and trouble broke out with the police being involved in the end, it brought really bad publicity to DIT and its students and ever since it has been banned, they tried to get around it one year but they could advertise it properly due to the restrictions etc and so people were refunded money and it was canceled.

Cheers, Ive asked a few times on behalf of many students and I was never given a reasonable answer. Thought it'd be okay if it were restricted to a certain amount of people or certain colleges but what can ye do!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement