Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem with tabs in IE8

• 02-02-2010 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,
    i've a problem with tabs in IE8. when i click on a link contained in a page like people linking sites on boards.ie, the tab opens but it doesn't load.
    anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

nothing like that comes up. it just keeps loading. the circular blue thing that says the page is loading stays there. i left it for an hour and it was still trying to load this morning. finally i just gave up. the same sort of thing is happening in mozilla firefox.
    i've just noticed as well that i can't open a new window by right-clicking on the link and "open in new window".

whiteman19 wrote: »
    nothing like that comes up. it just keeps loading. the circular blue thing that says the page is loading stays there. i left it for an hour and it was still trying to load this morning. finally i just gave up. the same sort of thing is happening in mozilla firefox.
    i've just noticed as well that i can't open a new window by right-clicking on the link and "open in new window".

Sounds like the hallmark of a virus/malware. I would suggest having your thread moved here

i doubt i have a virus. i've got zonealarm firewall and browser security, windows defender/MS security essentials, mcafee AV, spybot. i update every week or so and run a scan every monday.
    my laptop is only 4 months old with win7
    i've haven't noticed any slowdown in the speed of the computer either.

maybe the thread should be moved to http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009 . can one of the mods do this please
    hopefully someone else can remedy the problem. i'll try doing the registry thing to see if it helps.

i wonder could i be able to downgrade to IE7? do microsoft allow that?
    or an older version of mozilla. not going with chrome, not secure enough and the ZoneAlarm toolbar doesn't work in that

edit: actually i think that tabs do work in mozilla. iwas on mozilla at the weekend on my bro's o2 boradband but maybe just the fact that it was a slow connection was the reason for mozilla being so slow. tried IE8 on college wireless but still same problem.
    another edit: i was trying to send a webtext off o2.ie earlier, and when you send it, a pop-up in a new window appears telling you the webtext has been sent. but this time it didn't. maybe this is related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

try

regsvr32 "c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

okay it's only a problem in IE8. the tabs work in mozilla.
    and just realised that the loading circular thing isn't appearing in the new tab - the IE icon comes up and right beside it "connecting" but nothing happens.

dvpower what's that thing you're suggesting?

update: tried to send webtext with mozilla, but not working. should open in new window but not.

okay. something weird is happening. i've noticed two or three times in the last 2 days that i've had to turn the firewall on. for some reason it seems to be switching off and i haven't told it to. it was running when i started the computer.

tried the
    " regsvr32 "c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" but "the module .... was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005. for more info....blah

the register entry for tabs was "res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm" when i looked it up

can't open a new window in firefox even when i click file -> new window. this is f**ked up

i doubt i have a virus. i've got zonealarm firewall and browser security, windows defender/MS security essentials, mcafee AV, spybot. i update every week or so and run a scan every monday.
    my laptop is only 4 months old with win7
    i've haven't noticed any slowdown in the speed of the computer either.

maybe the thread should be moved to http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009 . can one of the mods do this please
    hopefully someone else can remedy the problem. i'll try doing the registry thing to see if it helps.

Seriously? Are they all active.

Can you try the following instructions on how to run IE8 with no Add ons.

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/04/28/how-to-run-ie8-without-add-ons/

since i got security essentials i disable mcafee AV and defender.
    with the firewall off, i tried to activate ZA but it's not coming up as active in Action Center so i put on Windows Firewall in the last few minutes.

IE with no add-ons : still same problem. tab opening but "IE icon" "Connecting" still appearing in the tab. tried to refresh but no right-click menu appearing

EDIT: just unistalled Security Essentials. am back using mcafee and defender
    EDIT: did a restart, Action center is reporting ZA is on

• Advertisement

Did you open regedit(start menu, type regedit in, hit enter)?

Then naviate through to the following location and check the following reg entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs
    Locate String Value = Tabs
    Then Set DATA Value = res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

yeah, it's set to that

"
    Hi, new to this forum.
    I too have the 'Connecting' IE8 which won't connect.
    Unlike recent posts I don't have AVG - I'm using McAffee on this
    machine.

I have also loaded Google Chrome on same machine and it has no problem
    whatsoever connecting (hence the reason I can write this).

Weird!
    "

This sound familiar? Can you look through McAffee and see if it has a link Scanner or Link Monitoring option within it. Or try un-installing, its crap anyway. Total resource hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭presotrader

seeing the same problem. strangely, it started once I installed the Flash Player plugin...

i've uninstalled mcafee and MS security essentials. i won't be able to check to see if that's changed anything with IE8 until thursday. have to go on the college wireless to access internet. using friend's o2 broadband (that won't work in mine) :rolleyes:
    strangely, it started once I installed the Flash Player plugin...
    i'll also see if disabling this has any effect, although does "no addons" disable plugins as well?

the version of mcafee i had was one i got free from the college. i think it was intended for a server computer.
    i did notice that mcafee was a bit of a resource hog, when "mcshield"/On-Access Scan was running, i had to disable it to play unreal tournament or any other game

i installed avg and got updates and did a full system scan. it found a trojan in a rar file (that mcafee didn't find) but i didn't open the rar file yet anyway. it also found a load of tracing cookies, and other internet related stuff.
    not sure but i don't think the trojan is the source. i can't remember when the IE8 tabs started acting up.
    will check 2moro to see if this has resolved anything.
    i'm also going to try to run IE8-x64 to see if it's any different. that first link cuddlesworth gave about regedit mentioned something about IE8 not working in 32-bit but did work in 64-bit.

Disable link scanner on AVG when you do install, although I prefer to use security essentials only.

A important note about 64bit Ie8, flash player doesn't work last time I checked.

thanks cuddlesworth. i'll post tomorrow how IE8 goes.
    the zonealarm firewall was being disabled after all. it kept just switching off so i did a re-install off cnet.
    i might re-install security essentials when all's well.
    i un-installed a load of software that i didn't use as well (stuff that came with the machine like roxio) in hope of solving the problem. could be one of those caused it.
    edit: i had installed a bit of software the weekend before i realised something was wrong with IE8.

still same problem with IE8 32-bit. clicked on link. opens in new tab but IE icon with connecting still appears. tried the same in IE8 64-bit and worked perfectly. firefox works as well. the new window not opening doesn't happen anymore. could a update for IE8 be the problem?

have (almost) given up on IE8. going to use mozilla now. i think it's just not worth the hassle of trying to find a solution. i'll just leave well enough alone. the problem with firefox seems to have gone

• Advertisement

have (almost) given up on IE8. going to use mozilla now. i think it's just not worth the hassle of trying to find a solution. i'll just leave well enough alone. the problem with firefox seems to have gone

I'd love to help, but this problem sounds like one of those I'd have to be there things.

Have you tried Chrome?

i had chrome but didn't like it. the ZA toolbar doesn't support chrome and it's not as secure as firefox or IE. it also uses up a good bit of the CPU as each tab/window runs seperately from each other, not like firefox or IE. plus i don't like the idea of google knowing what i've been looking up, nothing illegal but i like to have my privacy.
    i'll just stick with firefox and leave IE alone. there problem solved.:P:P

reset all settings on IE8 but still nothing.
    have glary utilities on my laptop and there's an IE assistant in that. found 2 Add-ons that wasn't appearing in IE. blocked it - nada. removed it - still nada.
    blocked everything from glary utilities - you guessed it, nada.
    anyone know any other utilities to manage IE8 add-ons? might still be something hiding that glary can't find.

Advertisement