Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built in, glass fronted gas fire....efficiency???

• 02-02-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey I am thinking of doing something a little different with my second sitting room and putting in a long built-in gas fire. Click on this link for an idea of what i'm thinking of...

http://www.thegascompany.ie/iopen24/fire-gazco-studio-edge-p-966950.html?cPath=1234_1328_1339

I think they look really classy if the room is designed with them in mind. I was wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences with them or seen them in action.

As far as I know they would run off bottled gas which would be ok as I dont think it would be lit that often. Worried about efficiency though, but on the plus side it prevents the heat loss of an open fire....Also probably going with a stove in living room so don't really want 2 of them.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,709 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

efficiencies would be around 90%

ventilation is the key here. As its flueless you need to provide adequate ventilation to feed the flame. Two wall vents are required, one high level, one low level.

read page 2 here:
    http://www.bordgais.ie/files/networks/construction/casestudy9.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pajodalton

Hi Liam,
    There are a few things to bear in mind when looking for a gas fire. After having a hole in the wall gas fire intstalled i know what you should watch out for.
    There are I would think 3 types. A Conventional flue caol effect, log effect of stone effect gas fire for a normal working chimney. Balanced flue fire are supplied with its own purpose built chimney supplied as part of the fires. The third type is a flueless gas fires.

Conventional flues may require your chimney to be lined with a flue liner or some can be fitted under a standard concrete flue gatherer.

Balanced flue have a ridgid flue pipe which allows cold air to come in one section of the flue and the hot air to go out tru another section of the flue pipe.

The third fire gas fire type is the flueless fire and this generally requires a minimum room size of 30-40 meters cubed and a wall room vent fitted in the room at high and low level.

My advise to you is the go the conventional flue fire or balanced flue fire if you have the option.

My most important piece of advise to you is to talk to the gas company who you are buying from. They will advise you on the best suited fire.

5 minutes on the phone is the equivelent of 2-3 hours on the net.

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pajodalton

I think they look really classy if the room is designed with them in mind. I was wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences with them or seen them in action.
    (1) MAKE SURE THE FIRE YOU ARE ORDERING IS DESIGNERD FOR YOUR CHIMNEY SITUATION.
    (2) There are a lot of fires to choose from buy from a gas company who give you on site repair service after your fire is fitted.

As far as I know they would run off bottled gas which would be ok as I dont think it would be lit that often.
    (3)These fires can be run off natural gas or bottle gas (lpg). Make sure to order the correct gas type as they may not be converable later. Talk to your supplier on the phone - this is important.

Worrried about efficiency though, but on the plus side it prevents the heat loss of an open fire....Also probably going with a stove in living room so don't really want 2 of them.
    (4) High efficiency gas fires are glass fronted. They will normally give upto 5 or 6 kilowatts of heat. Open gas fires are less efficent. A glass fronted fire will also reduce the draw of cold air from the room.

google the following
    "customer questions asked hole in the wall gas fires"

Advertisement