Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh God...

• 02-02-2010 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Basically wrote off my car a Xmas going over black ice. Took the hit only had 3rd party.

So 4 weeks ago I bought a 96 BMW 320 in great nick and NCT up to Sept 2011. Very happy with it.

So yesterday was driving away..about 20 miles into a 35 mile trip I noticed the Temp gauge going through the roof..basically up in the red zone and funny noises from the engine. Also felt a pop/banging sound and it felt like something had fallen out fo the engine or I had drove over a big bag of rubbish on the road.

Got to the nearest town, pulled over and popped the hood....steam eveywhere and spitting water.

Now...in the BMW radiator there are 2 pipes...1 from the top right corner and 1 from the bottom felt corner which come together 1/2 way up the radiator...meet at a plastic junction and enters the engine there....this junction has the top 1/2 blown off it and this is obviously the problem....!!! a big 5/6 inch long hole in junction..

I have left it with a mechanic and he says he cant look at it until tomorrow or Thursday..I am crapping it.

Is this serious as in is it retrievable?

What is the likely cost to repair?

What the hell caused it?

I forked out €1200 for it and cant afford another car.

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Got to the nearest town, pulled over and poppes the hood....steam eveywhere and spitting water.

First problem there.....you should have stopped straight away, you probably have made it worse by driving to the nearest town :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Communicationb

That is not helpful...:(

I know but I was stranded in the middle of the countryside and had to go another 5 miles....no mobile either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Is it the part in pic 22 in the link below? If so it is your thermostat housing and plastic ones have been know no break, there is an aluminium replacement to counter this problem. Damage depends on whether broken plastic got past the T stat, or how long the car was in the red, it could be a simple replacement of the housing which is not a big job at all. But while at it the T-stat, waterpump, belts and hoses should all be considered for replacing.

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36coolingsystem/

Driving the car while in the red would not have helped.

Is it the part in pic 22 in the link below? If so it is your thermostat housing and plastic ones have been know no break, there is an aluminium replacement to counter this problem. Damage depends on whether broken plastic got past the T stat, or how long the car was in the red, it could be a simple replacement of the housing which is not a big job at all. But while at it the T-stat, waterpump, belts and hoses should all be considered for replacing.

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36coolingsystem/

Driving the car while in the red would not have helped.

Yes that looks like it alright...cheers...the thermostat housing..completely blown apart.

Any idea how much that might cost or how in Gods name it happened?

I know that driving it in the red was a big NO NO but didnt have any option. I was rushing and late as it was.

Oh yeah I should add that the heating in the car (internal cabin heating) suddenly stopped a few days before which I imagine is linked.

• Advertisement

It is not expensive to replace, I suspect it just failed as they can with age and use. But BMW's and their cooling systems are fragile things and you won't know the extent of the problem until it is replaced, driving it could have turned a cheap fix into an expensive problem. But take my advice about the T-stat and water pump. These are not expensive either (try Otto).

Sorry for you trouble, anyone who buys an old BMW should change all this stuff right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Sounds like the thermostat stuck closed and the pressure built up and blew it. Loosing the internal heating a few days before hand would be linked so the problem was around a few days so that along with driving that far in the red will probably have warped the head of the engine I'm afraid.

Oh yeah I should add that the heating in the car (internal cabin heating) suddenly stopped a few days before which I imagine is linked.

Sounds like the T-stat was on the way out. Then stuck closed, pressure built up and the old brittle housing went bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unfortunately yes, that is the case ...and it means that the coolant in and around your engine stopped circulating properly a few days ago.

Depending on how far and how hard you drove it since, you could have done some very expensive/terminal damage to your engine.

Before spending any money on getting the thermostat housing repaired/replaced, make sure that you mechanic checks if it is actually worth doing first.

peasant wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes, that is the case ...and it means that the coolant in and around your engine stopped circulating properly a few days ago.

Depending on how far and how hard you drove it since, you could have done some very expensive/terminal damage to your engine.

Before spending any money on getting the thermostat housing repaired/replaced, make sure that you mechanic checks if it is actually worth doing first.

Thanks...

When I first noticed the red I had to drive another 15 miles then I rested it for 3 hours and then drove it another 5 miles to the mechanic where is has stayed since.

I did fill the radiator with water twice in a vain attempt to cool it down...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When I first noticed the red I had to drive another 15 miles (
    :eek:
    I would say you would be looking at a new head at the very least.
    15 miles with no cooling!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    :eek:
    I would say you would be looking at a new head at the very least.
    15 miles with no cooling!

:(:(:(

I know I know...I had no option. I was playing a match and was late for the kick off...so abandoning the car in the middle of nowhere just wasnt an option.

ps. We won the match but all I could think about on the pitch was my poor car...:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

:(:(:(

I know I know...I had no option. I was playing a match and was late for the kick off...so abandoning the car in the middle of nowhere just wasnt an option.

ps. We won the match but all I could think about on the pitch was my poor car...:(:(

Thats one expensive match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Well at least now you know two new things:

1. Car's wellbeing > Playing a match
    2. No heat in a car is an urgent warning sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Thermostat isnt too expensive replaced one on a 01 325i
    cost €80 and took 30min job.
    Hopefully thats the only problem, love working on BMW's.
    Find there one of the best cars to work on.

Muckie wrote: »
    Thermostat isnt too expensive replaced one on a 01 325i
    cost €80 and took 30min job.
    Hopefully thats the only problem, love working on BMW's.
    Find there one of the best cars to work on.

Yes hopefully....another car now would send me right over the edge....:(

The heating was gone for a few days as well and I would have driven about 200 miles during that time.

Is it fair to assume that the thermostat was shut closed during all this time and the engine overheating and then it blew?

To be honest I didnt know how long the temp gauge was at the max...the stering wheel does tend to obscure the instruments the way I sit.

And today I have just received a letter from the guards saying that my old car has been impounded. I sold it 2 weeks ago for scrappage and the fcukers were driving it around. It didnt even have a battery when it was towed away.

Thankfully they told me just to tell the VRT office this and not to worry about it anymore....is there anything else that can go wrong...paying for a rental car at the moment with a bill for the BMW to come...(hopefully.)...not good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yes hopefully....another car now would send me right over the edge....:(

The heating was gone for a few days as well and I would have driven about 200 miles during that time.

Is it fair to assume that the thermostat was shut closed during all this time and the engine overheating and then it blew?

To be honest I didnt know how long the temp gauge was at the max...the stering wheel does tend to obscure the instruments the way I sit.

And today I have just received a letter from the guards saying that my old car has been impounded. I sold it 2 weeks ago for scrappage and the fcukers were driving it around. It didnt even have a battery when it was towed away.

Thankfully they told me just to tell the VRT office this and not to worry about it anymore....is there anything else that can go wrong...paying for a rental car at the moment with a bill for the BMW to come...(hopefully.)...not good...

60 Euros for a car recovery to a garage could have saved a big bill here.

Anything to do with Engine coolant i'd stop as running it without coolent = dead engine.

Lesson learned i guess.

Well no point worrying till the mechanic gets back to you.
    You're having a run of bad luck thats for sure.
    Some cars when they have overheating problems, if theres
    fluid still in the engine and the car is in motion,
    the cold air hitting the radiator can keep the car cool, so fingers crossed for you.

Muckie wrote: »
    Well no point worrying till the mechanic gets back to you.
    You're having a run of bad luck thats for sure.
    Some cars when they have overheating problems, if theres
    fluid still in the engine and the car is in motion,
    the cold air hitting the radiator can keep the car cool, so fingers crossed for you.

+1

Keep us posted and best of luck. A pals Punto was driven around for 2 days with no oil and was unharmed, you never know!

Well the mechanic just rang, he said it was the thermostat housing was "shot to pieces". He wondered was it ice. He said he rang the supplier and said that was the 3rd query today to the supplier.

On the plus side he said that the fact that it was a BMW may have saved the engine as BMW engines operate best at very high temperatures..higher than most cars so it will have been able to tolerate a higher temp.

He said if it was a Fiat or Opel the engines would have given up straight away.

Bottom line is...the piece costs about €100 and easily replaced but of course he will check the engine to see that it isnt totalled...fingers crossed. Must ring him tomorrow.

• Advertisement

He will should be flushing the entire cooling system while he is at it, there is a drain bolt in the engine block and the radiator, make sure that is done properly. It will also require careful bleeding when filled to avoid air locks and subsequent problems. Bleeding is best done with the front of the car slightly raised, and don't over tighten the plastic bleed screw it it will sheer!

He will should be flushing the entire cooling system while he is at it, there is a drain bolt in the engine block and the radiator, make sure that is done properly. It will also require careful bleeding when filled to avoid air locks and subsequent problems. Bleeding is best done with the front of the car slightly raised, and don't over tighten the plastic bleed screw it it will sheer!

Cheers...I'll say that to him if he says the engine is fine to keep.

ps. I note that aluminium E36 BMW thermostats cost $25 online as opposed to plastic ones for €100 here.....:mad:.....but if the engine is fine then I will consider it a lucky escape and put it down to experience. Hell I have learned somthing new today...:)

Thats great news about your car not bein totalled, good
    auld BMW's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nice one OP. Glad to hear the worst case scenarios didn't come about. :)

You'll be driving with your eyes glued to the temp gauge for the next while!

Well an update....

Had the thermostat and housing replaced 2 months ago and driving away happy out. Actually moved house the following week and was able to walk to work. Barely drove since...

On Friday noticed the temp gauge was creeping up again but staying at 3/4 level provided I kept the speed around 40mph. This was about 5 miles from home. Got home and decided not to drive for the rest of the weekend and take it straight to the garage this morning. Changed the oil, air filter and fuel filter on Saturday..nothing to do with temp. had planned it anyway,

Had to drive to a buddies last night and the temp gauge shot through the roof a mile from home (10.30 pm and pissing down rain)...I then decided to drive with bonet open but resting on lid to cool engine..(which actually stabilised the temp)..what a stupid thing to do...:(...after 30 seconds the bonet shot back against the windscreen and warped the hinges and a small crack on the screen. I shut the bonet and now it cant be opened...

Took it to garage this morning...mechanic said more than likely that the head gasket is gone. I guess it is the incident from January coming back to bite me. Looking at €1000 to €1200 to repair and the car cost me €980.00...:(..plus there is a brand new battery, new oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter just installed...

Am so ****ing depressed this morning....:(:(...but learning loads about car engines.

Well an update....

Had the thermostat and housing replaced 2 months ago and driving away happy out. Actually moved house the following week and was able to walk to work. Barely drove since...

On Friday noticed the temp gauge was creeping up again but staying at 3/4 level provided I kept the speed around 40mph. This was about 5 miles from home. Got home and decided not to drive for the rest of the weekend and take it straight to the garage this morning. Changed the oil, air filter and fuel filter on Saturday..nothing to do with temp. had planned it anyway,

Had to drive to a buddies last night and the temp gauge shot through the roof a mile from home (10.30 pm and pissing down rain)...I then decided to drive with bonet open but resting on lid to cool engine..(which actually stabilised the temp)..what a stupid thing to do...:(...after 30 seconds the bonet shot back against the windscreen and warped the hinges and a small crack on the screen. I shut the bonet and now it cant be opened...

Took it to garage this morning...mechanic said more than likely that the head gasket is gone. I guess it is the incident from January coming back to bite me. Looking at €1000 to €1200 to repair and the car cost me €980.00...:(..plus there is a brand new battery, new oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter just installed...

Am so ****ing depressed this morning....:(:(...but learning loads about car engines.

I am so sorry but that deserves to be on Failblog.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

..what a stupid thing to do..

I'm sorry for your pain but Jebus H Xhrist! you don't make things easy for yourself do you?

It's also the last time I take a car to some 2 bit mechanic who works from the back of his house...:mad:

I specifically asked him to flush out the cooling system and to check the engine after the change in the thermostat.

He said there was no need that it was all good...Lazy bollocks cldnt be arsed and kept ****ting on about Fiats and Opels...:mad:

cjt156 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your pain but Jebus H Xhrist! you don't make things easy for yourself do you?

No...I am an idiot.

Thankfullythe road was clear...I got some fright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

...but learning loads about car engines.

And more besides! If anything abnormal happens to a car...any red light comes on the dash, temp gauge rises etc etc....STOP the car.

Anyways damage done....would it not be cheaper to get an engine and bonnet from a breakers? My sister replaced an engine in her car for about €600 including buying and getting mechanic to fit engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It's also the last time I take a car to some 2 bit mechanic who works from the back of his house...:mad:

I specifically asked him to flush out the cooling system and to check the engine after the change in the thermostat.

He said there was no need that it was all good...Lazy bollocks cldnt be arsed and kept ****ting on about Fiats and Opels...:mad:

You are blaming the mechanic? :D Maybe this should be posted on failblog.

Your mechanic didn't break your car. You did. Unless he had some back to the future device there was nothing he could of done for you.

edit: I do feel sorry for the OP though. One thing after another and now it looks like he has to fork out another 1000 euro on a new car or engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Is there a Darwin award for car care ?

I feel sorry for you OP - but i have to admit that made me LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You have to be trolling:eek:

This is Darwin material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Come on now lads, we all learn by making mistakes.

@OP - I'd be wanting to know why the car overheated in the first place. Thermostats tend to stick open, not closed.

Did my post just disappear? I thought I posted here.

3 posts up - your there.

i think everyone needs to thanks the OPs last post - post of the day material if i ever saw it. still laughing...

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »

@OP - I'd be wanting to know why the car overheated in the first place. Thermostats tend to stick open, not closed.

Is that not the point - he didnt learn anything from his first mistake. Just did the same again with the bonnet open this time for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anan1's right, everyone makes mistakes... but still, it's priceless reading material :D

Check around in breakers/scrap yards - you could pick up an engine cheapo, maybe even with less milage than your own.

You are blaming the mechanic? :D Maybe this should be posted on failblog.

Your mechanic didn't break your car. You did. Unless he had some back to the future device there was nothing he could of done for you.

Not blaming the mechanic for the damage. I just think he could have checked the engine to see if it was warped like I asked him but he cldnt be arsed. If it was warped then it could have been sorted perhaps.

damoz wrote: »
    Is that not the point - he didnt learn anything from his first mistake. Just did the same again with the bonnet open this time for good measure.
    Yeah well, if i'd learned all my automotive lessons first time around...;)

EPM wrote: »
    You have to be trolling:eek:

This is Darwin material

Feck off....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Feck off....:mad:

I didn't mean to have a go - but the bonnet bit cracked me up.

Shop around a few scrappies - you should be able to cut that bill down with some leg work

Anan1 wrote: »

In fairness if he was doing 10km/h over the speed limit people would be inferring he's some sort of mass murderer.

But doing something like driving with an indicated warning and with the bonnet open (which is bloody dangerous) isnt half as bad ???

Driving with badly de-iced windows is one thing, driving with a bonnet over your windscreen is another.

In Germany you'd be given an Idiotentest (No Joke, if its something dangerous to other road users you'll get it)
    http://www.bussgeldkataloge.de/umpu.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

My sister replaced an engine in her car for about €600 including buying and getting mechanic to fit engine.
    The straight sixes are a pretty tight squeeze in the 3. Replacing one wouldn't be pretty, or cheap.

EPM wrote: »
    I didn't mean to have a go - but the bonnet bit cracked me up.

Shop around a few scrappies - you should be able to cut that bill down with some leg work

There is great value 5 series out there at the mo but I really dont need this...am paying for a wedding and month's holiday in September...money cldnt be tighter....I had a 2006 BMW 320 Coupe which I sold last August to pay for wedding etc which is why I bought cheap ass cars until finances were better plus I had been put down to 3 day week...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Stick the new battery on Adverts.ie. All may not be lost.

In Germany you'd be given an Idiotentest (No Joke, if its something dangerous to other road users you'll get it)
    http://www.bussgeldkataloge.de/umpu.html
    Not quite what it says in your link:
    wrote:
    Wurde eine Fahrerlaubnis entzogen (nicht zu verwechseln mit einem Fahrverbot!),
    kann vor Ablauf der Sperrfrist bei der zuständigen Führerscheinstelle ein Antrag auf Wiedererteilung der Fahrerlaubnis gestellt werden. Die Verwaltungsbehörde kann dann eine MPU verlangen.

Can I just clarify....I had the bonnet unlocked not opened up.

I saw it on Top Gear once where Richard Hammond kept the engine cool this way...:o:o

Can I just clarify....I had the bonnet unlocked not opened up.

I saw it on Top Gear once where Richard Hammond kept the engine cool this way...:o:o
    If the safety catch had still been engaged you'd have been fine, but with the bonnet actually open the wind will force it back as soon as you get any speed up. Older BMWs had front-hinged bonnets, which would have saved you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

i wouldnt have thought the design of the bonnet on an e36 would allow for the bonnet to fly back against the windscreen without doing mental speeds?

my two bonnet struts are loose, and yet i cant get my bonnet to rise beyond 40 degrees, even when i disconnect the struts!

I had my bonnet start lifting coming down the M50 last week, all that saved it was the safety catch. Oh and I had just picked the car up from a Ford dealer after a service...

• Advertisement
Advertisement