Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia Announce Fermi Cards as GTX 480 and GTX 470

Options
  • 02-02-2010 1:41pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce

:pac:

Its do or die really. If its overpriced, they're fecked, simple as

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Interesting. They still haven't been able to produce any accurate benchmarks of the card, yet they have been able to go ahead and plan the marketing campaign? lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yeah its crazy...

maybe its all a huge cover up and its a rebranded 8800gtx and overclocked. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So I'm still looking for an ATI card then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yep :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

kowloon wrote: »
    So I'm still looking for an ATI card then?

Yep. In fact one of the cornerstones of NVidias current strategy seems to be: keep making vague announcements to persuade people considering on splashing out on an ATI card hold out for juuuuusssssssst another few weeks (and then a few more and so on ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm waiting for the price of the 5870 to drop, until Nvidia actually release something the price won't drop. Hurry up Nvidia, release something, anything

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the price of the 5870 to drop, until Nvidia actually release something the price won't drop. Hurry up Nvidia, release something, anything

Introducing the Nvidia GTS450! A rebrand of the GTS250, which in turn is a rebrand of the 9800gtx, which in turn is a rebranded 8800gtx!!!

ENJOY!!!!!

Introducing the Nvidia GTS450! A rebrand of the GTS250, which in turn is a rebrand of the 9800gtx, which in turn is a rebranded 8800gtx!!!

ENJOY!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek: Where can i get one?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

LMAO @ Cherry.....:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

To paraphrase a certain Homer: "Its funny because its truuue!!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ENJOY!!!!!

Don't buy that rubbish gts450, msi will be releasing a version with 8GBs vram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!! Because the 2GB 9600gt wasn't nearly pointless enough.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6022&Itemid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

the first company to release one of those cheapy new 5 series ATI card with 4 gigs memory will make a looottt of money.. regardless of how ****/useless it is..

While I like the whole giantkiller thing, honestly Nvidia have to come out with something soon, the ATI prices just keep rising.. remember a 5850 was listed on hardwareversand for 208 euro when they came out

Even the 4890's and 4870's have gone up in price

Jonny7 wrote: »
    remember a 5850 was listed on hardwareversand for 208 euro when they came out

****, estimated release price of the HD5830 has been constantly going up before its even launched! :eek: Was supposed to be ~€150, now a fortnight late and latest price estimate is now €215 minimum!! :mad: Boo-urns to that! I'm sticking with a HD5770 in that case! :mad:

Its Q4 2006 all over again... except this time its the red team that's spamming out the DX1* faceraep! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Solitaire wrote: »
    ****, estimated release price of the HD5830 has been constantly going up before its even launched! :eek: Was supposed to be ~€150, now a fortnight late and latest price estimate is now €215 minimum!! :mad: Boo-urns to that! I'm sticking with a HD5770 in that case! :mad:

Its Q4 2006 all over again... except this time its the red team that's spamming out the DX1* faceraep! :(
    thats great seeing as my 5850 cost around 215euro lol

lmimmfn wrote: »
    thats great seeing as my 5850 cost around 215euro lol

stfu.gif

Oh, and after Fermigate (Dremelled PCB FTL :P) and Bumpgate (owwww!) looks like its going to be May before Fermi ships in quantity. Will there be anyone left who takes nVidia seriously by then? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

"Nvidia's Fermi GTX480 is broken and unfixable" - a fun title right?

And to think last October I was delaying buying a new machine hoping to see a date for Fermi. Really glad I didnt wait XD

Ah! I was wondering why the GT240 was so naff - I thought it was intended as a 40nm analogue of the 9800GT. Turns out it was - until nVidia made such a mess of it they had to bin it and rename the GT230 to GT240, despite the fact it was still a 40nm 9600GT under the hood! :o

Why the hell does nVidia have to waggle its e-peen at the most inappropriate moments?! ATi used the HD4770 as a testbed and got a lot of respect from me for doing so. They were very public about their issues with 40nm and took a good long time to rework their entire HD5000 lineup to compensate and hopefully make them realistic, much less profitable. When an ultra-aggressive company like nVidia stops stealing ideas from its blood-rival, right down to something as obvious as "battle-stations lads, there be dragons in 40nm-land!" and lose a whole year's output as a result of sheer ignorance you have to wonder wtf is going on behind the scenes.

And given it took them three years to realise the core issue in Bumpgate and even start to rectify the issue how long before they start addressing the core issues with Fermi? They've already gone through three botched revisions and it looks as if there'll be a fourth and even a fifth before they realise they need a whole new stepping (and a major one, with a base-level redesign!) to try and get Fermi to the shelves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you have to wonder wtf is going on behind the scenes.

Same thing as always happens in these cases, 'executive led' development. The CEO makes some announcement to raise profile and investor confidence without consulting his/her engineering team. Then has them down tools on the real development so they can save him from looking like the total tool he/she is.

+1. The guy who stole all the credit from his predecessor and got a ton of "CEO Of The Year" awards is currently only up for Darwin Awards and everyone in the industry is praying he gets the boot sooner rather than later. nVidia disintegrating at this point in time would have serious consequences for the IT industry - only CPUs (and to a degree PSUs and cases) are even trying to stick to Moore's Law and if nVidia goes the hugely detrimental cycle of GPU price increases could finally tip the market into free-fall - no point coding for a platform that consumers can't realistically afford :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Lol, brilliant, the "major announcement" was made... apparently nV has a new card coming... soon(ish) (maybe)

• Advertisement

stfu.gif

Oh, and after Fermigate (Dremelled PCB FTL :P) and Bumpgate (owwww!) looks like its going to be May before Fermi ships in quantity. Will there be anyone left who takes nVidia seriously by then? :P

lmao.

Charlie is having a fieldday with Nvidias current problems getting Furbi out the door

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Nvidias current problems getting Furbi out the door

roflmao.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Rumours of a TDP for the 480 of well over 250W :eek:

300W for the 480 and 220 for the 470 :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

300W for the 480 and 220 for the 470 :(

We're getting to the stage where card makers will have to start throwing in free power supplies instead of games with their cards.

benchies - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E

HOWEVER: Uniengine 1.1 doesnt exist and why he's running it on a stock machine, besides if the low yield rumours are correct the 5870 will overclock wayyy better than fermi. The x2 on Tessellation is impressive however no games use it and i dont think it will be worth the 20-30% price premium over the 5870.

I do like their multi display solution far better than ATI's though, no stupid display port needed( and it works on older cards like the 260 etc. )

ATi really shot themselves in the foot with DismayPort :rolleyes:

Even so, what kind of availability are we talking about here? Given their leanings I imagine a lot of the dies that do become available (eventually...) will end up in Quadros rather than consumer-grade cards :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

For each 480 Nvidia sell they will be making a loss on each card. so i would not expect to see many of them for sale or people getting them EVER.

BadCharlie wrote: »
    For each 480 Nvidia sell they will be making a loss on each card. so i would not expect to see many of them for sale or people getting them EVER.

well that makes no sense whatsoever. Whats the point in selling them then :confused:

Show me a link or gtfo :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

well that makes no sense whatsoever. Whats the point in selling them then :confused:

Show me a link or gtfo :pac:

LoL

Well this is what i think and so do lots of others.
    They are going to make a loss for each 480 video card they sell (so will not want to sell all that many of). They will have lots of 470 that u can buy but after a few weeks all the 480 will be sold out and u wont be able to get them again or very very hard to get your hands on them, every so often they will let out a few hundred 480 cards which will be snapped up fast.

Just do a bit of googling about nvidia yelds. Or vist well know web sites like Guru3d, overclockers, overclock, hardocp forums and read for your self.
    The cost to make a 480 video card is so high and they have to bin so many of the chips which will go into your 470 and their other lower cards.

Advertisement