Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia Announce Fermi Cards as GTX 480 and GTX 470

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

well im sorry, but i dont see the point releasing them at a loss. considering some manufacturers havent even got the PCB specs yet, they might as well not go ahead with the damn thing.

I see the understanding for releasing the PS3 at a loss, since they regain their margins in software sales, but what have nvidia got to recoup losses? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Keeping the nV love alive in this thread...

196.75 to boost your nV gpu to new heights! - *(but may cause your card to assplode)

And as for Fermi being released and making a loss, its a question of taking the crown back and saving face. It all seems like a total joke at this stage, they couldnt even get this ^ PR stunt off without it going up in flames (literally, lol).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

swirlser wrote: »
    Keeping the nV love alive in this thread...

196.75 to boost your nV gpu to new heights! - *(but may cause your card to assplode)

And as for Fermi being released and making a loss, its a question of taking the crown back and saving face. It all seems like a total joke at this stage, they couldnt even get this ^ PR stunt off without it going up in flames (literally, lol).

thank feck for it tbh. got it yesterday. crysis wars was stuttering and shadows were flickering. new drivers have fixed the issue, running smooth and silky now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Here is a read if you have the time.
    http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/17/nvidias-fermigtx480-broken-and-unfixable/

Also i have to say to the people who keep saying they cant wait for the 480/470 to hit the shops and drive the price of the ATI cards down. I just dont think that ATI cards will drop their price when Nvidia cards come out and of late ATI cards have been going up in price :(
    They might make a change to the price when the 5970 comes out and drop the price of the 5870.

Any ways we will see what happens in the next few months.

thank feck for it tbh. got it yesterday. crysis wars was stuttering and shadows were flickering. new drivers have fixed the issue, running smooth and silky now

Roll back from 196.75
    BadCharlie wrote: »

I linked that the other week. To be fair, Charlie (the author of that article, not you - altho maybe you too :p) is known to be a little bit of an nV hater. But there is much truth in there.

Im more excited about what ATI have coming up anyway. I also think people will be disappointed with price adjustments after Fermi launch. I mean all the whispers indicate its performing between a 5870 & a 5970 and since its priced as such, its not much of an incentive for ATI to budge on price. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

swirlser wrote: »
    Roll back from 196.75
    I linked that the other week. To be fair, Charlie (the author of that article, not you - altho maybe you too :p) is known to be a little bit of an nV hater. But there is much truth in there.

Im more excited about what ATI have coming up anyway. I also think people will be disappointed with price adjustments after Fermi launch. I mean all the whispers indicate its performing between a 5870 & a 5970 and since its priced as such, its not much of an incentive for ATI to budge on price. :-/

I don't Hate NV at all lol. I have bought more of their cards then ATI in my time. I will always go for best bang for my buck. Looking at my sig u will think other wise but i picked my card up second hand at a very good price.

I know its bad to have one company on top all the time. You only need to look at Intel and AMD back with the p4 days. Intel got one hell of a shock back then from AMD, now we have I7,5,3 spoiled with choice.

0_o

ffs nvidia, you (insert insult here)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

well im sorry, but i dont see the point releasing them at a loss. considering some manufacturers havent even got the PCB specs yet, they might as well not go ahead with the damn thing.

Its all about saving face and the usual nVidia arrogance :rolleyes: But the odds are nVidia won't make such a loss from the GTX480s themselves because there simply won't be many of them and they're almost certainly going to come out at an even higher price than suggested depending on their performance in reviews and as AMD keeps raising their prices the price of all high-end cards will be at a 10-year high by the time they release, and it'll be a very limited release.

nVidia have pretty much given up on the 40nm incarnation of Fermi and will only release a limited number of GPUs. However, few of them will end up in GTX480s; the bulk of them will appear in top-end Quadro enterprise cards that are sold for a price several magnitudes higher than the GTX480 consumer cards. From what I've heard even the cut-down GTX480 incarnation of Fermi sounds more like a ****-hot research/mathematical/GPGPU GPU for enterprise cards than a conventional 3D accelerator and the bulk of them will probably be sold as Quadros. That way nVidia takes out several birds with one stone; they get to waggle their corporate e-peens in reviews, whet the appetites of fanboys and keep the industrial customers happy while limiting their financial losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Solitaire wrote: »
    ATi really shot themselves in the foot with DismayPort :rolleyes:
    roflmao.giflmao, excellent. but yeah, only for the display port i could be using eyefinity with my 3 screens, if i get an expensive display port screen i may as well go for 3x24" but that costs an absolute fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shrugging Atlas

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/06/nvidia-gtx-480-makes-benchmarking-debut-matches-ati-hd-5870-per/?s=t5

Numbers starting to come out regarding performance. Turns out the last few months waiting have been for nought - aside from better performance with tesselation the GTX480 is on a par with the 5870. Also requires 8-pin + 6-pin power connections.

You'd think being this long to market after the competition they'd hold off until they actually had a significantly better product. Ah well, unless they undercut the 58xx range on price I can't see too many people choosing it over ATI - that being said with the supply / demand grief at the moment they'll sell a few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

You'd think being this long to market after the competition they'd hold off until they actually had a significantly better product. Ah well, unless they undercut the 58xx range on price I can't see too many people choosing it over ATI - that being said with the supply / demand grief at the moment they'll sell a few

With it being a new mass process for their chip the cost will still be high at first. Their only possible save would be to sell at a loss and take a hit for the first 6 months or more until their own cost of manufacturing dropped under their sale price.

With ATI having mass production of their 5xxx cards for as long as they have they could already be looking to revise their own process to a cheaper one allowing them to price drop or just increase margin overall.

Either way ATI are laughing for the next while and I'm sure ATI could drop their price if Nvidia went aggressive on their pricing. Of course all this is great for the customers...bring it on!

:mad: What was good for the customers was when AMD and nVidia were in direct contention!!! :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hexus.net reporting some leaked unofficial benchmarks for the 480.
    While I hope these are accurate as it measn we might actually have a competition again in the GPU market, since it is Nvidia am a little skeptical as they look a little too good and I wouldn't put anything past them, we shall know in a few days when the big reviewers get there hands on them.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=23032

1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

marco_polo wrote: »
    Hexus.net reporting some leaked unofficial benchmarks for the 480.
    While I hope these are accurate as it measn we might actually have a competition again in the GPU market, since it is Nvidia am a little skeptical as they look a little too good and I wouldn't put anything past them, we shall know in a few days when the big reviewers get there hands on them.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=23032

1.png

Don't ATI have a Cypress refresh due the same time as Fermi? Considering the claims they made earlier I find the benches against a 6 month old card quite underwhelming.

if those benchmarks are correct, i'm pleasantly suprised

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Are nvidia above leaking fake unofficial benchmarks? Or am i too cynical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Or am i too cynical :)
    I don’t think so :)
    I think I will reserve my judgment until we see some independent benchmarks.

Don't ATI have a Cypress refresh due the same time as Fermi? Considering the claims they made earlier I find the benches against a 6 month old card quite underwhelming.

No doubt ATI have a few tricks in reserve, I completely agree they are not exactly mind blowing number given the 6 month gap, but I think it is moreso that the gap might not be as close as people feared it would, if these numbers are accurate. For the sake of GPU consumers everywhere, it simply needs to be some margin better I think.

Well Ive been looking forward to this launch. Not that Im going to buy one - just its been awhile and this one seems to have more than the usual amount of hype surrounding it.

Those numbers 'leaked' are roughly what I had expected, given the 5-20% figure that has been thrown around a lot these last few months and ofc nV are going to put the strongest ones forward (obv!).

How they actually do across a wider spectrum of games and apps and indeed what they end up retailing for, we'll know soon enough.

What I do find interesting is that despite this cut down version they were forced to do, its still pretty powerful. Would have been very impressive if they actually pulled it off. I guess the 28nm incarnation is going to be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

We're getting to the stage where card makers will have to start throwing in free power supplies instead of games with their cards.

Isn't there some regulation tho about GPU's not going over 300w hence the 5970's being under clocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Solitaire wrote: »
    ****, estimated release price of the HD5830 has been constantly going up before its even launched! :eek: Was supposed to be ~€150, now a fortnight late and latest price estimate is now €215 minimum!! :mad: Boo-urns to that! I'm sticking with a HD5770 in that case! :mad:

Its Q4 2006 all over again... except this time its the red team that's spamming out the DX1* faceraep! :(

And people laughed at me for not going for a 5850 when I got my 5870 for 270 notes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Introducing the Nvidia GTS450! A rebrand of the GTS250, which in turn is a rebrand of the 9800gtx, which in turn is a rebranded 8800gtx!!!

ENJOY!!!!!
    Which likes to overheat and die from solder defects a lot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Venom wrote: »
    And people laughed at me for not going for a 5850 when I got my 5870 for 270 notes :)

You son of a bitch. I'm tempted to get a 5870 (no idea why my 4870 maxes out everything I play and even now I'm mostly playing games with lower quality graphics so I'll seen no improvement) and 270 euro is a bargain. Well at least now it is. Stupid lack of competition. I'd say you're delighted seeing the prices slowly go up, I know I would be. :)
    Isn't there some regulation tho about GPU's not going over 300w hence the 5970's being under clocked?

No idea. I would have gone with the main reason to be lower the heat output/power requirements voluntarily but not something that was being enforced. I'm just guessing though.

Yeah by the PCIe 225W/300W High Power Card specifications it can draw a maximum 75 Watts from the motherboard, 75 Watts from a six pin connector and 150W from an 8 pin connector.

I am sure a new PCIe 375W+ is on the way if things carry on like this, more than likely the only reason it is lacking is that it wasn't needed before :).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah by the PCIe 225W/300W High Power Card specifications it can draw a maximum 75 Watts from the motherboard, 75 Watts from a six pin connector and 150W from an 8 pin connector.

I am sure a new PCIe 375W+ is on the way if things carry on like this, more than likely the only reason it is lacking is that it wasn't needed before :).
    Could they not just use two 8 pin connectors for a total of 375w?

Could they not just use two 8 pin connectors for a total of 375w?

Not yet but soon perhaps :D

I wouldn't be surprised if it is in development and it seems the next logical step but it doesn't seem to be on the radar just yet.
    http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/

AFAIK JEDEC won't allow reference graphics cards come to market that require more than 300W. There may be some exemptions for non-reference cards though, as nVidia were banned from bringing out a GTX295 made from two GTX285s (it's two underclocked GTX275s instead) but Asus released such a beast independently (the limited-edition MARS, and yes it did indeed need 2 8-pin PCIe connectors!! :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/

Anything you need to know is on that website. Its the PCI Special Interest Group that sets the PCI specifications.

Directors of PCI SIG are employees of Intel, IBM, AMD, Nvidia, Dell, HP, LSI, Oracle, Agilent Technologies & VTM.

JEDEC looks after memory technology specifications.

PCI-E 3.0 spec should be released fairly soon I'd imagine, with the first products by the end of the year.

Furbi revealed tonight at midnight - http://en.justin.tv/projectleet#r=FpBCVEc~

• Advertisement

NDA is over, NVidia 480/470 benchies - http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/

Not that impressive tbh.

Advertisement