Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia Announce Fermi Cards as GTX 480 and GTX 470

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Not liking the look of these cards at all.. TDP and Load temps are just scary at times. They have a good performance lead but the 2GB 5870 is only around the corner and that could put the 5870 right back in the game. Considering the 480 has nearly the same power draw as a 5970.. Bloody hell nvidia :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

yeah and 94C WTF!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lmimmfn wrote: »
    :eek:

Theyre that desperate to beat ATI on paper?

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Andandtech reported 96C in SLi :o

I've also seen screenshots of a 480 hitting 102C overclocked:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Komplett.ie are on the ball. Cards are already listed and priced. 480s a bit much..

EDIT: Ok I forgot how much the 5850 is, both of them are way over the mark

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oh dear guru3d, you do know that virtually feck-all cases have closed sides nowadays? Only a few Lian-Li and the Antec P19* range have closed anti-noise panels... everything else and its dog has ventilation there nowadays, so if the GTX4*0 isn't to cook in there you're gonna get slapped in the face with a veritable wall of fan noise :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Komplett.ie are on the ball. Cards are already listed and priced. 480s a bit much..

EDIT: Ok I forgot how much the 5850 is, both of them are way over the mark

*pukes*

wont be getting one any time soon so, if ever :pac:

*pukes*

Too much to drink already??! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Solitaire wrote: »
    Oh dear guru3d, you do know that virtually feck-all cases have closed sides nowadays? Only a few Lian-Li and the Antec P19* range have closed anti-noise panels... everything else and its dog has ventilation there nowadays, so if the GTX4*0 isn't to cook in there you're gonna get slapped in the face with a veritable wall of fan noise :eek:

Well if you put it in another room, get a wireless keyboard and mouse, a really really really really long DVI cable and an expensive pair of noise insulating headphones .........................................

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

feck that, i wouldnt mind having a jet engine beside me

he followed up on the noise thing - http://www.guru3d.com/news/geforce-gtx-480-noise-levels-debunked/ and in that one the side is off.

doesnt seem so bad, i do find loud fans annoying, my PC is in the living room and on full blast on the 5850 when i overclock it i need to turn the tv up a few notches lol

Look closer. The GTX480 isn't in the open case on the ground. Its in the huge big case sitting on top (with the mobo with the LED readout) with what looks like a big-ass pane of glass (or very thick acrylic, with no vents!) between the rig and the sensor! :eek:

Check 0:05 in the second vid; a shifting reflection off the huge case window is very clearly visible. They said this in the article: they used a closed rig for the retest, Only a few cases out there are designed to block all direct and most reflected noise from you. But most gaming cases prefer to ensure the GPU(s) don't cook off instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

[H]ardOCP have vids showing noise levels and temps of various top tier cards.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The GTX480 is floptastic!

Compared to the 5870
    - Slight improvement in some games/apps
    - Higher price
    - Higher heat
    - Higher noise
    - Higher power draw

It took me a while to admit all this. I stumbled in a daze from one review to the next thinking to myself "Nah they have it all wrong the next review will be better". In the end seeing these guys trying to cook an egg on it made me realise how f**ked Nvidia are.

Well we can forget about any juicy price war, it'll be a good while before I upgrade from my GTX280.

EDIT: On a side note, XFX really dodged a bullet on this one
    dxbbqo.jpg

Not that anyone will be surprised, but the market is distinctly unimpressed with NVidias latest offerings.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gFq5LCjssCxEWoeXUM0_uqaXvsUAD9F4BQNO0

Needham downgrades Nvidia, shares fall

(AP) – 3 days ago

NEW YORK — Nvidia Corp. shares fell Friday after Needham & Co. downgraded the stock to "Hold" from "Strong Buy," saying the company's new graphics chips are beset by problems.

The stock fell 76 cents, or 4.2 percent, to $17.25 in afternoon trading. The stock has ranged from $8.33 to $18.96 over the past year.

Needham analyst Rajvindra Gill wrote that checks in the supply channel indicated that new chips based on the so-called "Fermi" architecture are difficult to produce and only 20 percent to 30 percent are fit for use. That means Nvidia has less than 10,000 chips available, Gill wrote.

The Fermi chips, which only recently entered the market, consume more power and produce more waste heat than competing products from Advanced Micro Devices Inc., Gill wrote. That means Nvidia could lose market share in the second half of the year, he concluded.

Gill removed his previous price target on Nvidia shares, $22.

Nvidia spokesman Ken Brown said the company had no comment on the report.

dxbbqo.jpg

...And at last we finally learn who really built the original FailBoat lol.gif

dxbbqo.jpg

...And at last we finally learn who really built the original FailBoat lol.gif

2 posts up ya feckin eejit :pac:

• Advertisement

Why are you laughing? I reposted the image for comic emphasis, you seem to take umbrage at this yet you post it a third time :p

Why are you laughing? I reposted the image for comic emphasis, you seem to take umbrage at this yet you post it a third time :p

i have no idea what you're talking about :pac:

dxbbqo.jpg

Advertisement