Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a front door - cost & recommendation

Options
  • 02-02-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Guys, bought new windows & a front door from one of the bigger suppliers, they've fitted the windows but after almost 3 months, have yet to fit the door. It's seemingly sitting in the depot but the salesman has been unable to find someone to fit it. I've paid for the door but not the fitting so at this stage I'm thinking of having it deliverd and getting someone else to fit it. Any ideas on cost or who might do this ? It's a solid wood door in a 2up/2down. I'm in D3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

(and as this is dropping off the page), is there a danger that I get the thing delivered, get a 3rd party to fit it and it doesn't fit. I guess I have recourse on the supplier ? Should I just keep on the supplier to fit it ? 3 months, this is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Unless you have specifically agreed with the supplier that the door was a "delivery only" Id strongly suggest that you get him to fit also. Avoids problems later.

That was the arrangement (supply and fit) but it's been sitting in their depot since December and every promise of 'next week' has come to nothing. I rang the suppliers but was told that my issue was with the salesman and whomever he gets to fit the door and had nothing to do with them. So although it's there product and their salesman, because they don't employ fitters it's not their problem.

So although it's there product and their salesman, because they don't employ fitters it's not their problem.
    If they dont employ fitters how could you have agreed to a "supply & fit" job?

I'd hand the salesman a cheque for the product and cash for the fitting which he would pass on to the fitter. As it happened, I gave some cash over to the fitter when the windows went in and kept the remainder for the door guy. As the salesman has essentially got all the money he's going to get he's lost interest and I'm left with no leverage, even though I've paid for a door sitting in a depot. The supplier offered to drop it around if I want it (and fit it myself ???)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

if you can get the supplier to fit it then thats the way to go but as a last resort any competant carpenter could do it.

I'd hand the salesman a cheque for the product and cash for the fitting which he would pass on to the fitter. As it happened, I gave some cash over to the fitter when the windows went in and kept the remainder for the door guy. As the salesman has essentially got all the money he's going to get he's lost interest and I'm left with no leverage, even though I've paid for a door sitting in a depot. The supplier offered to drop it around if I want it (and fit it myself ???)
    Im trying to make sense of this.

You paid for the supply and fit of a few windows and a door and the company you dealt with then proceeded to supply and fit the windows but not the door. That was about 3 months ago but you have never received the door and they are dragging their heels about fitting it although they will deliver.... Is that a fair summary of what happened?

If thats the case then its clearly a breach of contract and while we dont allow legal points to be debated on this forum I can only suggest that you put it writing to them and ask them to honour their end of the contract by a certain date.

Dont forget that the salesman is in their employment and consequently becomes an agent of the company and if the company hired people to fit your windows then the onus is on them to hire someone to fit your door also.

Most reputable companies will give you a copy of the contact in advance and Id suggest you read it thoroughly.

Just a reminder to anyone else wishing to comment - please dont discuss the legal aspects of this case.

Just to clarify, I have paid for the door but not the fitting, the salesman was a bit grey on whether to give him that money or hang on to it until it was being fitted. As I wanted to see the job done right I chose the latter. I'll give him (the salesman) one more shout today (as the door was to go in this week, again), if no joy, I'll send a letter to the supplier. A reputable one down south. I'd hate to thing what their service levels were like in the boom.

Just to clarify, I have paid for the door but not the fitting
    Thats a different situation entirely.

Aye, but if you agree on a quote to supply and fit and then the supplier turns around and says "meh, I don't fancy the fit element of this deal, you can sort that out yourself", surely that's a breach of contract, irrespective of whether I've paid over the full amount. No ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement