Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vu+ duo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

So far, so good!
    I'm taking a chance as my BH1.6 is rock solid but I can't resist VIXs autotimer/epg ;-) but this new vix appears to be very good.
    And not having my USB drive in with swapfile/epg/picons appears to be doing the trick regarding hangs and crashes.
    I have all that stuff on my hdd now which is set at standby every 4 hours (I might turn standby off as -> I have PTS turned on so disk is accessed all the time)
    My Aver Volar Black HD stick is working very nicely with the Italysat DTT plugin - I think VIX should remove their own plugin for this stick from the plugin feeds as it does not work at all.

I'll post back within the week with an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

I've updated to vix 2.2. It got a slow spinning vix after I updated the epg.
    Since I updated the epg for DDT isn't showing the full 7 days. There is a lot of the epg missing. With bits and pieces showing within the 7 days.

It very strange that DDT works perfect for some and not for others. I was wondering could it be the USB position that the DDT stick is plugged into. It was plugged into the top USB at the back, with a USB pen drive at the bottom. I have now changed them around so the DDT is now into the bottom one and the USB pen drive in the top one.

Could people with working and non-working DDT please state what USB position that they have plugged USB devices into? Might be clutching at straws here, but if it helps it will be well worth it. Some of the USB code might be hard coded for one device or another in vix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

RogerThis wrote: »
    Since I updated the epg for DDT isn't showing the full 7 days. There is a lot of the epg missing. With bits and pieces showing within the 7 days.

I've got that on 2.1.4

It very strange that DDT works perfect for some and not for others. I was wondering could it be the USB position that the DDT stick is plugged into. It was plugged into the top USB at the back, with a USB pen drive at the bottom. I have now changed them around so the DDT is now into the bottom one and the USB pen drive in the top one.

Could people with working and non-working DDT please state what USB position that they have plugged USB devices into? Might be clutching at straws here, but if it helps it will be well worth it. Some of the USB code might be hard coded for one device or another in vix.

I read on the VIX site that rytec is doing some maintenance on his epg feeds so maybe that's the issue with the missing data?
    Sorry, I see you said Dtt guide.

I completely removed my usb pendrive - my dtt stick is in the top usb slot, the usb key used to be in the lower slot.
    I have no swapfile now and have epg/picons/tshift on the hdd which is set to a 4hr or no standby.
    I use the Italysat dtt plugin on VIX as their official driver for my stick (Avermedia Volar Black HD) does not work.

Now, it's only a few hours but so far stability is very smooth. I have scheduled recordings on dtt and sat for later tonight/morning so I'll see if it gets bogged down later.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

gambiaman wrote: »
    I completely removed my usb pendrive - my dtt stick is in the top usb slot, the usb key used to be in the lower slot.
    I have no swapfile now and have epg/picons/tshift on the hdd which is set to a 4hr or no standby.
    I've updated to VIX 2.2 (OpenVIX now?) and did the same as you.

No more swapfile etc. It was only done 30 mins ago, so I'll see how things progress over the day. I'm hoping the Nova-T will now work as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

more to do with RTE NL :)
    Have a read of the attached :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295794

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

irishchris wrote: »
    Have a read of the attached :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295794

Only gripe so far with VIX2.2(apart from redoing the settings/rescanning :( )
    Is that I can't use your Retro skin as yet.....Get a green screen loop on start up!
    Otherwise all seems good

banie01 wrote: »
    Is that I can't use your Retro skin as yet.....Get a green screen loop on start up!
    Otherwise all seems good

dont suppose you could pm me the crash log here and i will get it sorted for ya

Otherwise all seems good

• Advertisement

Wont leave me attach the log to PM here and its too long in plain text.
    I've posted over on WOS.
    Thanks Mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Anyone make any headway with this.
    Tis bloody annoying not having full EPG on DTT Channels.
    Rang Saorview and was told to email info@soarview.ie.
    It will be sorted months before you'd get a reply I'd say.

Maybe Rytec might be able to populate the DTT epg with Satellite info.

D

byte

byte wrote: »
    I've updated to VIX 2.2 (OpenVIX now?) and did the same as you.

No more swapfile etc. It was only done 30 mins ago, so I'll see how things progress over the day. I'm hoping the Nova-T will now work as expected.
    Sadly, the Nova is still acting up. :(

I'm going to give up on it for now, until I get time to try new images like Black Hole, or back to OpenPLi.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

byte wrote: »
    Sadly, the Nova is still acting up. :(

Same here, it`s better since the image update but still not stable.

I checked the signal on my other setup and pics are rock solid.

Vinnie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

IMO

This latest upgrade was pretty pointless. Cron manager update, Image manager update etc, all gold plating really. Meanwhile there are a number of glaring bugs not to mention continuing unstable green screen horrors that have been ignored.

VIX is attractive to users due to it's feature set. Unfortunately it's developement seems to be piecemeal with no structured testing environment in place. I stress this is merely my opinion. Even the horrid logo screens scream 1990 warez kids in bedrooms trying to be flash as possible. Every time I see that logo screen my stomach churns.

Now all the dogooders will bark at me for whinging, but again imo, the world of freeware has moved on and up to professional levels. Look at the likes of joomla or gimp. They are the current standards by which to measure free software.

Another pointless update packed with gold plating and I suspect individuals pet project priorities. again a dam shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

dnme wrote: »
    IMO

This latest upgrade was pretty pointless. Cron manager update, Image manager update etc, all gold plating really. Meanwhile there are a number of glaring bugs not to mention continuing unstable green screen horrors that have been ignored.

VIX is attractive to users due to it's feature set. Unfortunately it's developement seems to be piecemeal with no structured testing environment in place. I stress this is merely my opinion. Even the horrid logo screens scream 1990 warez kids in bedrooms trying to be flash as possible. Every time I see that logo screen my stomach churns.

Now all the dogooders will bark at me for whinging, but again imo, the world of freeware has moved on and up to professional levels. Look at the likes of joomla or gimp. They are the current standards by which to measure free software.

Another pointless update packed with gold plating and I suspect individuals pet project priorities. again a dam shame.

It's been 3 months in the making, I was expecting more myself. I guess they are more concerned in getting more sat boxes supported than trying to improve the Vu+ Duo image.

Saying that I do like the ViX image, and it's useful for us to have IrishChris as part of the team.

My Sundtek has been stable since, but it's only on it for a day. If the hangs continue, I will change. I'm not going to wait another 3 months, in the hope that they fix it.

• Advertisement

So this is the issue that I am seeing with the dtt epg.

screenshot 1 is just after a reboot, there are random entries showing in the epg, tv3 is totally blank.

screenshot 2 is after switching to tv3, where different entries are showing in the various dtt channels, and some entries are now showing in the tv3 list.

screenshot 3 is the single epg for tv3, and there is nothing for Tuesday.

Edit, still on 2.1.4, don't have time to change at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Well I installed 2.2 on Sunday. More importantly as it has seemed to turn out I have taken out the usb drive which I used for picons, epg and permanent time-shift(now all moved to HDD) and the dtt(nova-t) is running good. No hangs or pmt error(or whatever it was). Also recorded BBC HD, Channel 5HD and RTE 2 HD and there was issues with dtt recording at all. Will wait and see if this holds but getting rid of usb drive has helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

gambiaman wrote: »
    So far, so good!
    I'm taking a chance as my BH1.6 is rock solid but I can't resist VIXs autotimer/epg ;-) but this new vix appears to be very good.

My Aver Volar Black HD stick is working very nicely with the Italysat DTT plugin - I think VIX should remove their own plugin for this stick from the plugin feeds as it does not work at all.

I'll post back within the week with an update.

Great find, I wasn't aware of this DTT plugin before, it looks like it's "related" to the BH/DE DTT drivers. Anyway, I tried it myself with my no-name Afatech based USB stick (similar to Avermedia A850), works perfectly. Nice to get to try Vix at last:D

Anyway, for all those struggling with Win-TV tuners, there are drivers for those available within this Italysat plugin also, might be worth a try.

kierank01 wrote: »
    So this is the issue that I am seeing with the dtt epg.

screenshot 1 is just after a reboot, there are random entries showing in the epg, tv3 is totally blank.

screenshot 2 is after switching to tv3, where different entries are showing in the various dtt channels, and some entries are now showing in the tv3 list.

screenshot 3 is the single epg for tv3, and there is nothing for Tuesday.

Edit, still on 2.1.4, don't have time to change at the moment.

Join the club, the whle EPG is a mess.
    If you set a Zap event on a program, and set "Set End Time" to "No". The program prior to yours is coloured red. Like I said in my previous post, a pretty pointless upgrade, riddles with bugs as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

as i've said many times before .... would far rather have a stable base image where you can add in the functionality you require than a bloated image full of stuff you don't need.
    Trying to be all things to everyone doesn't work

• Advertisement
    byte

rurs wrote: »
    Great find, I wasn't aware of this DTT plugin before, it looks like it's "related" to the BH/DE DTT drivers. Anyway, I tried it myself with my no-name Afatech based USB stick (similar to Avermedia A850), works perfectly. Nice to get to try Vix at last:D

Anyway, for all those struggling with Win-TV tuners, there are drivers for those available within this Italysat plugin also, might be worth a try.
    Ooh, that's worth a gamble. Does one need to uninstall an existing driver before installing the Italysat one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    as i've said many times before .... would far rather have a stable base image where you can add in the functionality you require than a bloated image full of stuff you don't need.
    Trying to be all things to everyone doesn't work

I have gone back to openpli, everything just seems to work the way I want it, maybe vix is more suited for the advanced linux coder.

rurs wrote: »

Thanks for adding the link to it rurs, I forgot to.
    It works for me on VIX as the driver in the VIX plugin feed is plain wrong for my stick!

Well, my new usbkey-less and swapless install of vix 2.2 has had one or two hangs so far, seemingly when switching from sat to dtt but I'll keep an eye on it for a week or two.
    I still have a backup of BH 1.61 at hand to reinstall if VIX doesn't work out for me again.

For those giving the Italysat plugin a go - sometimes it doesn't find the dtt stick at first, with me it took three go's at enabling the driver before it didn't give me an error so don't give up plus remember to reboot fully.

@ dnme
    I think you're being a bit harsh on the VIX guys, loads of users have no trouble at all with the image including earlier versions and their support is pretty good and as you said, it is free and developed in their own time so condemnation like that is pretty useless and píssin in the wind IMO.
    The DTT epg mess is nothing to do with them at all.
    And I'm not a 'do-gooder', whatever that is in the context of using a satellite box!;)

All,

Ive contacted Rytec and he says that the EPG for DTT (for the channels that are on Satellite anyway) can be used from his download and populated to the DTT channels IDs.

And that turning off EIT in the setup will stop the epg.dat from being overwritten from the online DTT EPG.

Dont know though if turning the EIT off will effect downloading from other providers epg.

We can leave it for a few days to see if its a saorview glitch or a permanent thing. If permanent then maybe rytecs option is the only one.

stanley1 wrote: »
    I have gone back to openpli, everything just seems to work the way I want it, maybe vix is more suited for the advanced linux coder.

I don't neccesarily think its geared towards the advanced linux coder more the opposite, but they try and put too many things in their images and bloat it up.
    Keep things simple and simple things work. I think the rose tinted glasses of the 'beta testers' need to be more objective and ensure the basic things work 100% correctly.

I have a lot of time for the PLi team and they have made a big contribution to this hobby and the way they work

Just been playing with my new Vu Duo and the new Vix 2.2 Image.

I was looking at the DTT tuner plugins and I noticed something. The Standard drivers for the Nova HD plugin have the same specs as the Sony Playstation 3 drivers.

Guess what.

It works.

I can confirm the Sony Play Station 3 Play TV DTT tuner works perfect with the Nova drivers and it gives you all the current Irish DTT channels including RTE 2 HD.

And its a dual tuner!!!!!

I was about to sell mine but stopped short when I seen one selling for just £6 on ebay!

My advice, grab one quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

IMO

Jesus, i just been to the vix forum, you got some nice replys to your comment over there.

Lately i found the Vix team can`t seem to take criticism very well, with all the beta testers and moderators ganging up on posters who express their opinions.
    I have seen this a few times now, i also noticed most of the posts are now from testers and moderators with little input from users.

I love the Vix image and have updated to the latest straight away, although my DTT seems more stable but i still have some problems with the Nova T.

(This is just my opinion, i would not dare to post this in the Vix Forum)

Vinnie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

I was looking at the DTT tuner plugins and I noticed something. The Standard drivers for the Nova HD plugin have the same specs as the Sony Playstation 3 drivers.

I can confirm the Sony Play Station 3 Play TV DTT tuner works perfect with the Nova drivers and it gives you all the current Irish DTT channels including RTE 2 HD.

I was about to sell mine but stopped short when I seen one selling for just £6 on ebay!

Can you send me a link to one of these? the only ones i can find on ebay are about €30+.

Thanks

VINNIEB wrote: »
    Jesus, i just been to the vix forum, you got some nice replys to your comment over there.

Lately i found the Vix team can`t seem to take criticism very well, with all the beta testers and moderators ganging up on posters who express their opinions.
    I have seen this a few times now, i also noticed most of the posts are now from testers and moderators with little input from users.

I love the Vix image and have updated to the latest straight away, although my DTT seems more stable but i still have some problems with the Nova T.

(This is just my opinion, i would not dare to post this in the Vix Forum)

Vinnie

lol feel free to post on the vix forum any comments mate. i think it was just the manner in which dnme tried to put his point accross. i actually agree in one sense that certain features could have been finished off a bit more but we also have added so many other features based on user input. we have recieved so many pm s and so many threads asking for these things eg cron/scipt manager improvements, epg setup,provider improvements etc etc that we spent months coding these features while at the same time incorporating all the latest e2 daily updates. there are so many errors and conflicts with the slightest changes to the image during build from e2 updates to plugin updates and recoding one section to add something crashes other sections etc. so there has been so much hard work {for free} put into this image and thats why andy and some of the mods are finding comments portrayed in the way dnme did so hard to take. although a lot and maybe me included would have very liitle interest in the likes of the cron manager so many do. and sometimes we can be blinded that our wishlists for the image are more important but unfortuanately in this case its not as we went with the most requested features/improvements this time. but simply put if everyone here opens up a thread and requests features/improvements they would like to see or flaws i promise they will be dealt with promptly but it has to be highlighted in the correct manner and not in a {how should i put this} forceful way ;)
    In terms of dtt drivers we can only work with what we have so far and have very little input from the dtt coder we used previously but please do open a thread and try to post as many crash reports and logs and screenshots especially to show what is happening and i promise we will try our best to sort it.

simply trying to say apologies if it came out that people cannot put comments freely on the forum and if things have been overlooked. but my only fear would be of a team walking away due to negativity and i think it would be a sad day should something like that ever happen.

NTC wrote: »
    Can you send me a link to one of these? the only ones i can find on ebay are about €30+.

Thanks

Use Ebay.co.uk not the .ie one and keep an eye on the auctions.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=play+tv&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• Advertisement

lol feel free to post on the vix forum any comments mate. i think it was just the manner in which dnme tried to put his point accross. i actually agree in one sense that certain features could have been finished off a bit more but we also have added so many other features based on user input. we have recieved so many pm s and so many threads asking for these things eg cron/scipt manager improvements, epg setup,provider improvements etc etc that we spent months coding these features while at the same time incorporating all the latest e2 daily updates. there are so many errors and conflicts with the slightest changes to the image during build from e2 updates to plugin updates and recoding one section to add something crashes other sections etc. so there has been so much hard work {for free} put into this image and thats why andy and some of the mods are finding comments portrayed in the way dnme did so hard to take. although a lot and maybe me included would have very liitle interest in the likes of the cron manager so many do. and sometimes we can be blinded that our wishlists for the image are more important but unfortuanately in this case its not as we went with the most requested features/improvements this time. but simply put if everyone here opens up a thread and requests features/improvements they would like to see or flaws i promise they will be dealt with promptly but it has to be highlighted in the correct manner and not in a {how should i put this} forceful way ;)
    In terms of dtt drivers we can only work with what we have so far and have very little input from the dtt coder we used previously but please do open a thread and try to post as many crash reports and logs and screenshots especially to show what is happening and i promise we will try our best to sort it.

simply trying to say apologies if it came out that people cannot put comments freely on the forum and if things have been overlooked. but my only fear would be of a team walking away due to negativity and i think it would be a sad day should something like that ever happen.

That forum is the very essence of the usual people ganging up together like some siege mentality protecting their little baby .... if you put software out there then expect criticism .. thats the nature of the beast .... without valuable feedback from users (not just beta testers who buy into the brainwash) then they may aswell just give up... Plenty of other teams out there who do sterling work... I have a lot of respect for people who develop firmware but the brainwashed hangers on do no good.

i only just finished a reply on a separate board to you ranting there too

nice! not to mention helpful !!!

I'm still trying to figure which comment upset everyone? I expressed an opinion, made it clear it was an opinion. It's an opinion that stands moreso now. Great bunch of people over there I must say. real standup people for sure!

Anyway apologies for going off topic. I'm done and won't revisit this here, I promise.

Guess what.

It works.

Great spot ;) Well done!

yes good spot on the play tv tuners. gonna pick one up off ebay and try on my solo.

@ banie01 gonna take a look at s0rting that skin now if i can mate. only remembered there when i saw your post. been out of action last 2 days with illness since i got back so will try now mate

yes good spot on the play tv tuners. gonna pick one up off ebay and try on my solo.

@ banie01 gonna take a look at s0rting that skin now if i can mate. only remembered there when i saw your post. been out of action last 2 days with illness since i got back so will try now mate

Not a bother mate! Hope your feeling better soon ;)
    I've enough to keep me amused with the histionics going on round there anyway :P

Update -

Just got message from Rytec Guys that they have added RTE1, RTE1+1, RTE2, TV3 , TG4 and 3e for the Terestrial Channels EPG to sort out the current issue.
    They advise disabling EIT in setup first.

I will check in the morning and report back.

At least it gives us an option until we find out whats up with the Saroview EPG for us.

D

dfdream wrote: »
    All,

Ive contacted Rytec and he says that the EPG for DTT (for the channels that are on Satellite anyway) can be used from his download and populated to the DTT channels IDs.

And that turning off EIT in the setup will stop the epg.dat from being overwritten from the online DTT EPG.

Dont know though if turning the EIT off will effect downloading from other providers epg.

We can leave it for a few days to see if its a saorview glitch or a permanent thing. If permanent then maybe rytecs option is the only one.

Guess what.

It works.

can anyone tell me, where is this driver (Sony Play Station 3) to be found? I can't see it under plugins - dvb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Sorry if this is a dumb question but where is the EIT setting ? I dont see it in the EPG panel

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but where is the EIT setting ? I dont see it in the EPG panel

vix 2.2
    menu > setup > sysyem > epg > settings > enable EIT -- set to yes/no

previous versions iirc i think it was in menu>setup>system>customise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks Chris, using BH so maybe somewhere in the customize menu, i'll go digging.

vix 2.2
    menu > setup > sysyem > epg > settings > enable EIT -- set to yes/no

previous versions iirc i think it was in menu>setup>system>customise

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

can anyone tell me, where is this driver (Sony Play Station 3) to be found? I can't see it under plugins - dvb
    the answer was here all along :D

Guess what.

It works.

Mate not trying to be smart but did you even read the post you quoted?

Edit:
    the answer was here all along :D
    Dammit Chris beat me to it!!!

Update -

Just got message from Rytec Guys that they have added RTE1, RTE1+1, RTE2, TV3 , TG4 and 3e for the Terestrial Channels EPG to sort out the current issue.

At least it gives us an option until we find out whats up with the Saroview EPG for us.

D

Just tried it and it works pretty well. RTE 1 +1 is patchy as is RTE News Now. But main five channels are full up to 2am Tuesday morn. RTE actually go further into tuesday.

Mate not trying to be smart but did you even read the post you quoted?

Edit:
    Dammit Chris beat me to it!!!

Now I really am lost. I click menu, plugins, green (download plugins). There is no DTT tuner plugins section. I go to dvb, expand that and look for irishfreeview's Sony Play Station 3 Play TV DTT tuner. Can't see it. Am I missing something? did I misunderstand something perhaps?

Edit:
    AH. hang on, I have it backwards. He's talking about a piece of hardware working with Nova T drivers, I got it the other way around. I'll get my coat

Now I really am lost. I click menu, plugins, green (download plugins). There is no DTT tuner plugins section. I go to dvb, expand that and look for irishfreeview's Sony Play Station 3 Play TV DTT tuner. Can't see it. Am I missing something? did I misunderstand something perhaps?

It says that the driver to use is the nova driver

• Advertisement

Update -

D

Is there any way to use the rytec epg for the dtt channels, and the opentv epg for sat channels?

Why are you looking for irishfreeview's Sony Play Station 3 Play TV DTT tuner in the plug ins? The driver used is the Nova Driver!

Read his original post on the subject, He clearly says that the Play TV hardware works with the Nova Drivers!
    There is no mention of a Sony Play Station 3 Play TV DTT tuner Driver release, He just states that the Nova drivers will run the hardware.

EDIT:I see you figured it out ;)
    Shoulda read the replies you were given before you get that coat :P

I'll get my coat

Thats probably the wisest comment you have made the last couple of days, looking at the arguments you have had!:pac:

Dont think so.

Only to run one before the other. They will over write any existing entries.

D
    kierank01 wrote: »
    Is there any way to use the rytec epg for the dtt channels, and the opentv epg for sat channels?

Tell me this then folks,

Where does the Irish DTT epg info come from wrt the wonderful miracle that is VIX?

Lets take my old setup as an example. I used crossepg, with OpenTv provider - Sky UK Open TV (Astra 28.2). So it was my understanding that the Irish DTT epg info was coming from the satellite feed (sky I guess) for the same channels. Is this the case?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement