Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vu+ duo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

Dotts wrote: »
    I'm not recording anything, cnn and qvc are working too but blank screen on every other channel when i scroll through the channel list there is what looks like a signal bar next to the channels i can watch but all other channels have nothing next to them, and when i select um all i get is a blank screen.

Dotts, I would do a complete re-scan and then re-do your channel list using the newly scanned source material, rather than importing your old settings or bouquets from dbedit. Don't forget, check your tuners and make sure they are configured properly before scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotts

I'm not recording anything, cnn and qvc are working too but blank screen on every other channel when i scroll through the channel list there is what looks like a signal bar next to the channels i can watch but all other channels have nothing next to them, and when i select um all i get is a blank screen.

I think that bar i'm seeing is actually a time line of the current program. apologies i'm pretty new to this, as u can probably tell :) i have the soarview channels working fine from a usb tuner so i'm not doing too bad.

I think that bar i'm seeing is actually a time line of the current program. apologies i'm pretty new to this, as u can probably tell :) i have the soarview channels working fine from a usb tuner so i'm not doing too bad.

yeah the bar is a progress bar that represents time elapsed on the current event.

dnme wrote: »
    Dotts, I would do a complete re-scan and then re-do your channel list using the newly scanned source material, rather than importing your old settings or bouquets from dbedit. Don't forget, check your tuners and make sure they are configured properly before scan.

Thanks for the advice, i have both tuners configured as follows

Config mode..... simple
    Mode ..............single
    satelite............19.2e astra 1h/1kb/1l/1m
    send diseqc.......no

is this correct, or totally wrong?

Thanks for the advice, i have both tuners configured as follows

Config mode..... simple
    Mode ..............single
    satelite............19.2e astra 1h/1kb/1l/1m
    send diseqc.......no

is this correct, or totally wrong?

set satellite to astra 28.2

• Advertisement

set satellite to astra 28.2

i've done that and am running the scan now, thanks for you help!

thanks again for the advice, just one more question now i have all the channels is there a way to delete all the crap so i'm left with only the channels i need. 1= rte1
    2= net 2
    and so on

thanks again for the advice, just one more question now i have all the channels is there a way to delete all the crap so i'm left with only the channels i need. 1= rte1
    2= net 2
    and so on

Yes you can use a program called DreamBoxEdit. Google it for a download. It runs on your PC, you connect it to your VU using the VU's ip address. You will need the VU's username and password, I think it defaults to root/dreambox or something like that. If that becomes an issue, let me know and I'll guide you through changing the VU's password.

Once connected, you can download the VU's channels to the app, from there you can setup your own collection of stuff, you can organise channels into folders called bouquets. Once done, you export the stuff back to the box and voila.

Yes you can use a program called DreamBoxEdit. Google it for a download. It runs on your PC, you connect it to your VU using the VU's ip address. You will need the VU's username and password, I think it defaults to root/dreambox or something like that. If that becomes an issue, let me know and I'll guide you through changing the VU's password.

Once connected, you can download the VU's channels to the app, from there you can setup your own collection of stuff, you can organise channels into folders called bouquets. Once done, you export the stuff back to the box and voila.

I have got that program and have loaded all the channels from the box on to it, thanks for all your help, i'm going to call it a day now as i have to be up early.

thanks dnme really appreciate you help, Good night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Dnme, Do you still get the (r), (t) etc in the program title.
    I mentioned this to Willy a while back and they moved it to the description and for me anyway thats where it is currently. The only place they couldnt remove the text was the year (2000) etc in the film channels. But for the (r), (t) etc they were fine. It used to throw the autotimer and epg search off but its nearly perfect now.
    Let me know or post on pli if there is something you would like looked at, they are brill.

Also an update. Willy in Rytec today has changed the epg for RTE1+1 to proper data rather than using RTE1 epg plus an hour. This should be OK from tonights download, all going well.

The reason epg is awkward is to get the source from the web to a format that the receiver can manage. I think the epg guys do a great job.

D
    Next try, some success as follows

Menu-Setup-System-EPG-Settings
    Enable EIT EPG - No
    CrossEPG-XEPGDB providers
    Choose Rytec UK XMLTV (xepgdp repacked)
    After a download and re-check of EPG, I seem to have DTT epg info now.

However there is a new issue, the epg data seems to have extra info such as "season 1 episode 4" or -T or -R tags appended to it. This is great except it's too verbose and belongs in the description rather than title. The result is that title data gets squashed in it's event box. So you have to elongate the epg screen or make the fonts smaller. It makes the epg harder to read. A small issue but nonetheless an issue.

• Advertisement

Hi df, many thanks for the reply. Don't get me wrong wrt epg, my frustration is at the technology on the box but also at the technology as a whole. It is the simplest thing to do in code, to get simple text data from one place to another using xml via a web service or whatever.

Yet here WE are still regarding 7 day epg as some holy grail and forgiving all it's issues and problems. My point is that it should be very simple, and very bullet proof. Someone somewhere is making a mess of this.

Here's my epg as of a couple of minutes ago (Wednesday 22nd June, 15:40 pm). As you can see I am still suffering from verbosity :cool:

164228.jpg

164229.jpg

I dont know whats wrong this is what I get from Rytec.
    One is Satellite the other is Saorview.

Im using xmltv importer.

D

dfdream wrote: »
    I dont know whats wrong this is what I get from Rytec.
    One is Satellite the other is Saorview.

Im using xmltv importer.

D

Can you list your setup steps precisely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Hi df, many thanks for the reply. Don't get me wrong wrt epg, my frustration is at the technology on the box but also at the technology as a whole. It is the simplest thing to do in code, to get simple text data from one place to another using xml via a web service or whatever.

Yet here WE are still regarding 7 day epg as some holy grail and forgiving all it's issues and problems. My point is that it should be very simple, and very bullet proof. Someone somewhere is making a mess of this.

Here's my epg as of a couple of minutes ago (Wednesday 22nd June, 15:40 pm). As you can see I am still suffering from verbosity :cool:

164228.jpg

164229.jpg

If you go to the 'providers start order' in crossepg, and set rytec first, and then opentv second, the opentv entries will overwrite the rytec entries for the sat channels, and leaves the dtt channels as they are.

when setting auto timers I always remove the 'exact match' setting, even before this dtt issue, so that if I was recording CSI, I would change the search option to CSI, and it records miami, NY, and CSI:csi even it there is a t or an r at the end.

kierank01 wrote: »
    If you go to the 'providers start order' in crossepg, and set rytec first, and then opentv second, the opentv entries will overwrite the rytec entries for the sat channels, and leaves the dtt channels as they are.

kieran, can you or anyone provide precise epg setup steps?
    As in, let's say we have just installed the box, and done our channel scan. Now lets deal with epg setup, step by step.

There's a lot of ambiguity here and a concise instruction would certainly help me and I'm sure, others. Many thanks if you can.

EDIT:
    Actually I get you now. I was using rytec alone after the recent bug, now I get you, use rytec and opentv. Set order to download rytec first, that populates the dtt and sat stuff but is annoyingly verbose. Then download opentv which overwrites the sat channels so at least they are tidied up. Got ya, many thanks

Im using vix 2.1.
    Xmltv importer in the vix menu
    and rytec UK xmltv enabled to download 6am each day.
    Crossing disabled.

Thats it, nothing more.

D

kieran, can you or anyone provide precise epg setup steps?
    As in, let's say we have just installed the box, and done our channel scan. Now lets deal with epg setup, step by step.

There's a lot of ambiguity here and a concise instruction would certainly help me and I'm sure, others. Many thanks if you can.

EDIT:
    Actually I get you now. I was using rytec alone after the recent bug, now I get you, use rytec and opentv. Set order to download rytec first, that populates the dtt and sat stuff but is annoyingly verbose. Then download opentv which overwrites the sat channels so at least they are tidied up. Got ya, many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just been playing with my new Vu Duo and the new Vix 2.2 Image.

I was looking at the DTT tuner plugins and I noticed something. The Standard drivers for the Nova HD plugin have the same specs as the Sony Playstation 3 drivers.

Guess what.

It works.

I can confirm the Sony Play Station 3 Play TV DTT tuner works perfect with the Nova drivers and it gives you all the current Irish DTT channels including RTE 2 HD.

And its a dual tuner!!!!!

I was about to sell mine but stopped short when I seen one selling for just £6 on ebay!

My advice, grab one quick!

I can confirm that the PlayTV works with Nova T drivers :) and works as a twin tuner :)

I picked up one on Ebay for €20 and now have the Irish DTT service clear as a bell!
    Finally be able to watch the Magners/RaboDirect League Rugby in HD for next season!
    Great spot Irishfreeview, Kudos Buddy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

My RTE EPG was working 2 weeks ago after I "fixed" it using the settings listed further up (basically Rytek/ Opentv with EIT off, etc. -whatever was said before).

It was working I tell you and I didn't change a thing!

But for the last week or so they're all gone again and I don't know why!

One thing I'm wondering is if I need net-access for this? I don't have a full-time cable available. Most of the time it's plugged into my xbox.

I didn't mention it before now because I am planning on updating to the latest VIX soon (I'm one or two versions back) and maybe that will solve it. ?

[I think my problem partly stems from the fact I don't know what is downloaded/ imported in the EPG context, or from where -and if it should be regularly downloaded -and why. When I select it manually it goes to websites as part of the download, but obviously gets nothing there since no network is connected. ?]

Also, while I'm here, a friend of mine ordered a Duo the other day. He also has Sky and intends keeping it. I know he can use his Sky card in the Duo, but I assume he would need to activate the Duo with the card and during this time he would not be able to use his Sky box in the other room (?)

ie. is it possible for him to use the Duo as a 'second Sky box' at the same time -eg. to pick up (his legally-paid-for) Sky Sports via the Duo while still being able to get it on his Sky box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

My RTE EPG was working 2 weeks ago after I "fixed" it using the settings listed further up (basically Rytek/ Opentv with EIT off, etc. -whatever was said before).

rYTEX needs access to web at all times to download info from his server. Opentv is downloaded via satellite.
    Also, while I'm here, a friend of mine ordered a Duo the other day. He also has Sky and intends keeping it. I know he can use his Sky card in the Duo, but I assume he would need to activate the Duo with the card and during this time he would not be able to use his Sky box in the other room (?)

ie. is it possible for him to use the Duo as a 'second Sky box' at the same time -eg. to pick up (his legally-paid-for) Sky Sports via the Duo while still being able to get it on his Sky box?

When card is not in sky box you cannot view sky sports on sky box. You cannot share the card between the 2 boxes. The card will work in both but not at same time.

givecredit wrote: »
    rYTEX needs access to web at all times to download info from his server. Opentv is downloaded via satellite.

How come I did get the Irish DTT channels showing properly a couple of weeks ago then? I mean, I didn't have the network connected at that time. At least I don't think I did.
    Either way though, I guess I'll have to get a 2nd router or something.
    givecredit wrote: »
    When card is not in sky box you cannot view sky sports on sky box. You cannot share the card between the 2 boxes. The card will work in both but not at same time.

I doubt he'll bother, but for the record, is it as simple as removing the card from the Sky box and plugging it into the Duo or is there a registration process each time? (...with another registration required when he puts it back in the Sky unit?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Anyone have an issue with seemingly random channel changing on the vu duo? It's as though it is getting input from the remote, but it isnt...

It will just change a channel, sometimes bring up the bouquet list, sometimes go into standby. I actually noticed a "1" Pop up on screen at one stage, as though entered by a remote, but it definitely wasn't pressed.

Tried installing vix completely and updating to latest 2.2 image with latest online updates, and still the same issue.

I haven't, but maybe take the batteries out of the remote for a while to see if perhaps that is the source of the problem (could be sticky buttons or an internal fault in the remote).

?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Will give it a try thanks. Happens even with the remote well away (and receiver blocked inside a cabinet) but curious to know if anyone else has experienced anything even remotely similar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Lads what image do you'se recommend?

I want to have the epg for 28e so I can set programmes to record in advance.

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Will give it a try thanks. Happens even with the remote well away (and receiver blocked inside a cabinet) but curious to know if anyone else has experienced anything even remotely similar...

Are you sure someone isn't controlling it over your lan via a laptop/pc or possibly remotely over the internet as the box can be controlled via a web remote.

redout wrote: »
    Lads what image do you'se recommend?

I want to have the epg for 28e so I can set programmes to record in advance.

any image will be able to do that for you.

i am using vix, because of the graphical epg, and because you can press ok to zap. i couldn't deal with the red button to zap, and couldn't (didn't know how to) change the setting.

i am using vix, because of the graphical epg, and because you can press ok to zap. i couldn't deal with the red button to zap, and couldn't (didn't know how to) change the setting.

Aye, I downloaded vix 2.2 and have everything up and running. I done a forced download of the rytec uk epg. Is having it set to once a day too much or should I set it to one a week? Also after the download I hit epg button but it's a mess. The channels are all over the place. Anyway to put them in order perhaps resembling either a sky or freesat epg? One more Q - I added an auto timer for a programme just to see how it works but now I can't delete it from the auto timer menu. I have deleted all the recordings it added under timer but it still won't let me delete so I have just disabled it for now. Any ideas?

Can you please tell me what "zap" means in this context? I see it all over the shop ("record with zap", etc.) but buggered if I know.

There are a few other 'minor' things like this but I can't think of them at the moment. :/

Aye, I downloaded vix 2.2 and have everything up and running. I done a forced download of the rytec uk epg. Is having it set to once a day too much or should I set it to one a week? Also after the download I hit epg button but it's a mess. The channels are all over the place. Anyway to put them in order perhaps resembling either a sky or freesat epg? One more Q - I added an auto timer for a programme just to see how it works but now I can't delete it from the auto timer menu. I have deleted all the recordings it added under timer but it still won't let me delete so I have just disabled it for now. Any ideas?

You need to get Dreamedit (on your PC), link it to your Duo via the network, download your list of channels into it and use that to rearrange the channels as you see fit, before tossing them back into the Duo.

Not sure why you can't delete an auto timer. You should be able to do it in the service menu. Couldn't tell you now without it in front of me. If you don't find it after another search come back to us.

• Advertisement

You need to get Dreamedit (on your PC), link it to your Duo via the network, download your list of channels into it and use that to rearrange the channels as you see fit, before tossing them back into the Duo.

Not sure why you can't delete an auto timer. You should be able to do it in the service menu. Couldn't tell you now without it in front of me. If you don't find it after another search come back to us.

I have been using dreambox edit for a couple of years but I thought that was only for creating bouqets and ordering them? I am talking about the epg button. When I hit it on 28e the channels are all mixed it.

I have been using dreambox edit for a couple of years but I thought that was only for creating bouqets and ordering them? I am talking about the epg button. When I hit it on 28e the channels are all mixed it.

When I press the epg button, I get the list of the current bouquet, and with the channel +/- buttons, I can select different bouquets.

not sure (can't remember) what is shown if there are no bouquets.

to delete an auto timer, press the menu button, and in the timer option, select auto timers, and delete whatever you need to.

@ Gunther_Gloop
    zap is 'to change channel to'
    so a zap timer is to cause the current channel to switch to whatever item is selected.

I just thought of another "inconsequential thing I meant to ask before now"... in the epg, does anyone know of a way to page down?

Left/right can be used to page up/down in the TV Listing screen, I know.
    Arrow right/left can be used to skip to tomorrow/yesterday in the epg, I know.

But how can I PAGE DOWN/ UP in the epg?

I just thought of another "inconsequential thing I meant to ask before now"... in the epg, does anyone know of a way to page down?

Left/right can be used to page up/down in the TV Listing screen, I know.
    Arrow right/left can be used to skip to tomorrow/yesterday in the epg, I know.

But how can I PAGE DOWN/ UP in the epg?

2, 8

When I press the epg button, I get the list of the current bouquet, and with the channel +/- buttons, I can select different bouquets.

not sure (can't remember) what is shown if there are no bouquets.

to delete an auto timer, press the menu button, and in the timer option, select auto timers, and delete whatever you need to.

I'll give that a bash - hitting epg when in bouquet seems to show the epg just for my bouquet which is quite good though as I said the normal epg is a complete mess. I am using rytec UK and have it set to download once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Hi, i picked up a Sony Play TV tuner during the week, installed it into my Duo and is working perfect.
    I can`t understand why this is better than my Nova Tuner but now i have a perfect picture with no breakup and dual tuner as an added bonus.

So a big thanks to Irishfreeview for the info.

Vinnie

• Advertisement

VINNIEB wrote: »
    Hi, i picked up a Sony Play TV tuner during the week, installed it into my Duo and is working perfect.
    I can`t understand why this is better than my Nova Tuner but now i have a perfect picture with no breakup and dual tuner as an added bonus.

So a big thanks to Irishfreeview for the info.

Vinnie

Agreed! Great spot by Irish FreeView!
    That was a good find alright!
    A twin tuner all ready and waiting for the 2nd MUX to launch and for only 20quid :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

link would be nice.

stanley1 wrote: »
    link would be nice.

To the play TV tuners?
    Get searching on the Ebay for cheap auctions, cheapest you will find one at Buy it Now prices is @35quid but plenty at auction.

Link from a few pages back
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72778152&postcount=1431

All,

It seems that the sources used for Rytec to download DTT EPG is either off line or gone.

Its www.tvguideireland.com.

They were the only site carrying rte1+1, rtejr and rte news epg.

The rest are from another site and are ok.

Anyone using the over the air EIT and whether the EPG issues on DTT are still there (incomplete) or has it been sorted.

Also if anyone knows any other site with epg for rte1+1, rtejr and rte news let me know and I will mention to rytec.

Its just one thing to another.....

Anyone having crash/hang problems with Vix2.2 when switching between sat and DTT and do you have a solution? Wife is starting to moan!

• Advertisement

dfdream wrote: »
    Its just one thing to another.....

+1

Vix is a serious pile of crap. Every aspect of it is buggy. I've just had to restart it again in order to get it to recognise my HDD which it regularly looses inexplicably. I tolerate it for the epg but even that is packed to the hilt with problems. I seriously think I'll throw it out, it's just truly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

+1

Vix is a serious pile of crap. Every aspect of it is buggy. I've just had to restart it again in order to get it to recognise my HDD which it regularly looses inexplicably. I tolerate it for the epg but even that is packed to the hilt with problems. I seriously think I'll throw it out, it's just truly awful.

+1
    word !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭irishchris

+1

best piece of advice you have given for ages lol throw it out! for all our sakes

irishchris wrote: »
    best piece of advice you have given for ages lol throw it out! for all our sakes

Yeah, that way you can continue to pat each other on the back and tell each other what a great job y'all doing without interruption from actual pesky dam users such as myself. Hark!!! I think I may have hit on the problem.

You wanna play tennis again righteous? lets go

ha ha you are a funny guy. now relax and forward crash reports or logs and forward them to a civilised post on vix forum and dev team will take a look. as otherwise just moaning of problems and not reporting them will see the problems remain. and by all means if you have all of the software experience you say you have then take a look at the crash report and all help is appreciated :)

ha ha you are a funny guy. now relax and forward crash reports or logs and forward them to a civilised post on vix forum and dev team will take a look. as otherwise just moaning of problems and not reporting them will see the problems remain. and by all means if you have all of the software experience you say you have then take a look at the crash report and all help is appreciated :)

Here's an idea for ya righteous, why don't ya just stop commenting on my posts, that'd be a real help. Okey dokey??? there's a lad!

this is getting tiresome now. post crashlogs and report to vix forum.thanks

this is getting tiresome now. post crashlogs and report to vix forum.thanks

yeah! night now

night night. sleep on it and hopefully in morning you will see conflict gets you nowhere. everyone working together is what help unpaid opensource projects move forward

There is a problem with 2.2 and changing channels in bouquets. If I select a channel from bouquet list and then hit the ch+ or ch- button it won't go to the next or previous channel in the bouquet. Instead it goes to the last channel I was viewing beforehand. I find I need to mess around with the up, down, left and right arrows to eventually get it working.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement