Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vu+ duo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

The first time I did it, it took the best part of a week to get to grips with the different stages. Well obviously I wasn't spending hours each day, but generally I twiddled somewhat and scanned forums for an hour or two most days, adding some small thing to the Duo (in my case) as a result. By the end of that time it was working.
    If I had tried and expected it to be "done" within a couple of hours I'd have had a very frustrating time of it.

...Although when you do know what to do and how and why then it really is a matter of minutes. Sorry I can't give any more advice than I gave a couple of weeks ago in this thread. Struggle on, you'll get there I have no doubt. Let us know if/when you feel you've hit a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ocy wrote: »
    I ordered on 5th and it arrived yesterday 15th
    A friend of mine ordered one recently. He put my address since I was the one setting it up for him. The status was processing right up to the day it arrived (around a week later) and beyond.

Expect it today/tomorrow/this week I'd say.

Hopefully it comes before the weekend. I'd love to have that picture-in-picture for the Bundesliga this weekend :P.

Who do they use for delivery?

The picture in picture isn't smooth -at least not on mine, last time I looked. Maybe that's because I only have 1 satt-input at the moment (?)

I can't remember who delivered it. GLS maybe?

The picture in picture isn't smooth -at least not on mine, last time I looked. Maybe that's because I only have 1 satt-input at the moment (?)

I can't remember who delivered it. GLS maybe?

PiP was perfect when I tried it on a friends box, on HD channels it was laggy but on 2 SD channels it was grand ;). It will be handy for watching Hamburg on 1 Sky Bundesliga channel and having the simulcast channel running in the bottom corner!

I saw a DPD van going by on my way out earlier, if they are the ones that deliver it then it doesn't look like today is the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    PiP was perfect when I tried it on a friends box

Pip was perfect?
    What image are you using? Because on any of the images I've used, VIX, BlackHole, OpenPLI, PowerofDream, Egami...
    The PiP function on the Vu+ isn't true PiP, The inset is image is a series of screenshots running @ 1 frame a second.
    Rather than giving full video, its a rapidly moving slideshow, which is frankly ****e for watching sport on :(

I was under the impression that the Vu+ couldn't support true video standard PiP due to hardware limitation...
    Excellent if it does, but please share how?

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Pip was perfect?
    What image are you using? Because on any of the images I've used, VIX, BlackHole, OpenPLI, PowerofDream, Egami...
    The PiP function on the Vu+ isn't true PiP, The inset is image is a series of screenshots running @ 1 frame a second.
    Rather than giving full video, its a rapidly moving slideshow, which is frankly ****e for watching sport on :(

I was under the impression that the Vu+ couldn't support true video standard PiP due to hardware limitation...
    Excellent if it does, but please share how?

It was on my friends Vu+ Uno, think it had Vix on it but I'm not sure. PIP ran perfectly on the channels we tried! 1 HD and 1 SD it was laggy. 2 HD's it was laggy but with 2 SD channels it was grand. It was Sky Sports 1 and 3 that we had doing it I think.
    I've been told the DPD van returned with my box so I'll give it a go tonight if I get a chance to play with it and report back.

Edit: Found this video on youtube

Maybe it's the Solo or the Duo you are talking about? The Uno has a faster processor so that probably makes all the difference. SD-HD lag video here

It was on my friends Vu+ Uno, think it had Vix on it but I'm not sure. PIP ran perfectly on the channels we tried! 1 HD and 1 SD it was laggy. 2 HD's it was laggy but with 2 SD channels it was grand. It was Sky Sports 1 and 3 that we had doing it I think.
    I've been told the DPD van returned with my box so I'll give it a go tonight if I get a chance to play with it and report back.

Well the Uno has different hardware to the Duo but the UNO is a single tuner box.
    The Twin Tuner Duo does not support full video PiP just frame capture.

But as the Uno is a single tuner box, wouldn't the PiP function be restricted to channels on the same TP as the main channel?
    Not much use if you want matches on 2 different Tps in that case no?
    Could be ok on Sky Germany, where I think the SD sports are on the same TP(could be wrong on that haven't looked in a while)
    I'm very interested to find out how this PiP is implemented on a single tuner if it works on more than 1 tp at a time...
    I'm intrigued!

I have it all set up now. As I knew, it is restricted to channels on the same TP, which is grand. Its working fine with Vix 2.2.110.

So, any cool plugins I should try? I need to sort out the EPGs for Sky UK and DE. Anyone know about that?

I have it all set up now. As I knew, it is restricted to channels on the same TP, which is grand. Its working fine with Vix 2.2.110.

So, any cool plugins I should try? I need to sort out the EPGs for Sky UK and DE. Anyone know about that?

For the EPG I use Crossepg opentv for 28.2(I use it for sky italia too) I prefer OpenTV to rytec as it uses the providers own data rather than a repack,and I just add sky germany as a rytec source.
    In Vix its just Menu>System>EPG>CrossEPG then select your sources and configure your download options in Opentv and xmltv sources.

As for plugins, I use Livefootball 3.2 great for finding games on tv :)

Got all that sorted now. Found a problem though! The audio button brings up the EPG instead of what its supposed to show! I had a look on google and apparently its because vu have hardcoded the audio to the yellow button but that brings up the EPG on vix as well. Someone said pressing the subtitle button then yellow will get you to the audio tab, but the subtitle button isn't working on a lot of channels (Eurosport, TNT Serie) :(.

I might have to go to blackhole if I can't find a way around this. Vix image is really nice so hopefully there's a fix around I haven't found yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

Got all that sorted now. Found a problem though! The audio button brings up the EPG instead of what its supposed to show! I had a look on google and apparently its because vu have hardcoded the audio to the yellow button but that brings up the EPG on vix as well. Someone said pressing the subtitle button then yellow will get you to the audio tab, but the subtitle button isn't working on a lot of channels (Eurosport, TNT Serie) :(.

I might have to go to blackhole if I can't find a way around this. Vix image is really nice so hopefully there's a fix around I haven't found yet!

Vu plus have sent us new drivers for this problem which we reported to them. It's fixed and working in the beta release I'm testing and will be pushed through with next vix online updates.

Good to know, hopefully that update will come out soon.

Can anyone help me with this?

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/vu-uno-firmware-upgrade.2955/

I've tried the USB method using 2 USB's but when I reach the upgrade part and press yes to start the upgrade I get this message.

Fail to upgrade
    Cause: Fail to open device.
    Do you want to exit?

That has happened on 2 USB sticks I've tried including the one I loaded the vix firmware with. The USB sticks are clear and the TS_pro.dat file is the only thing on the stick in the root of the stick. I don't know how to do the second option.

Option B) Upgrade directly from the internet

1. Goto FPG plugin menu.

Where would I find FPG plugin menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Good to know, hopefully that update will come out soon.

Can anyone help me with this?

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/vu-uno-firmware-upgrade.2955/

I've tried the USB method using 2 USB's but when I reach the upgrade part and press yes to start the upgrade I get this message.

Fail to upgrade
    Cause: Fail to open device.
    Do you want to exit?

That has happened on 2 USB sticks I've tried including the one I loaded the vix firmware with. The USB sticks are clear and the TS_pro.dat file is the only thing on the stick in the root of the stick. I don't know how to do the second option.

Option B) Upgrade directly from the internet

1. Goto FPG plugin menu.

Where would I find FPG plugin menu?

Is your usb stick formatted as ntfs or fat32?

I have a vu+duo, but that needs fat32.

kierank01 wrote: »
    Is your usb stick formatted as ntfs or fat32?

I have a vu+duo, but that needs fat32.

Yep, Fat32. Still can't figure it out. No Animal Planet HD for me until I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

fat32 required is a myth.

I use a 7 year old usb stick which is only fat and it works to flash and to use picons.

redout wrote: »
    fat32 required is a myth.

I use a 7 year old usb stick which is only fat and it works to flash and to use picons.
    sorry, i was referring to the lack of ntfs support.

Just another quick question for anyone who has used the vix image. I've put some films on my USB stick to watch back on the Uno, but I have seen the first hour of the movie I want to watch. Is there a faster way to get to 60 minutes than fast forwarding at x128 speed? On the dreambox I used to be able to hold in the fast forward button and a box would pop up asking me to input what minute I wanted to jump to. Anything like that on vix?

Can't find anything about it on google.

I also got the audio problem fixed. Pressing help brings up a menu that lists ''Audio Options'' :).

sorry, i was referring to the lack of ntfs support.

The HD I use in my Duo is formatted as NTFS. No problems. It can also take Ext3.

With the 4GB limit Fat32 is hopeless. I know probably most HD recordings wouldn't reach that limit anyway, but why limit yourself?

I don't have any idea how to get around the main issue -tried formatting in NTFS/ EXT3/ anything else?

Just another quick question for anyone who has used the vix image. I've put some films on my USB stick to watch back on the Uno, but I have seen the first hour of the movie I want to watch. Is there a faster way to get to 60 minutes than fast forwarding at x128 speed? On the dreambox I used to be able to hold in the fast forward button and a box would pop up asking me to input what minute I wanted to jump to. Anything like that on vix?

Use the numbers. I think it's the 2nd row: 4, 5, 6 that let's you jump forwards in greater increments. You can set the increments in options too, but the defaults aren't bad. If it's not those numbers try others.

Also, if you part-watch a recording on the Duo, when you playback at a later date, your last position is indicated by a line in the running-bar. To get to this line press the > button.

The HD I use in my Duo is formatted as NTFS. No problems. It can also take Ext3.

With the 4GB limit Fat32 is hopeless. I know probably most HD recordings wouldn't reach that limit anyway, but why limit yourself?

I don't have any idea how to get around the main issue -tried formatting in NTFS/ EXT3/ anything else?

I was referring to the use of ntfs on a usb stick, when reflashing.
    I have attempted to reflash with a usb stick formatted as ntfs, and it would not work, i presume that if it was extX, there would not be an issue either.

• Advertisement

Use the numbers. I think it's the 2nd row: 4, 5, 6 that let's you jump forwards in greater increments. You can set the increments in options too, but the defaults aren't bad. If it's not those numbers try others.

Also, if you part-watch a recording on the Duo, when you playback at a later date, your last position is indicated by a line in the running-bar. To get to this line press the > button.

Works perfectly. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

What HDD would be recommend for a Vu Duo? Does it do internal or external?
    Just bought mine off IELEKTRONIKS today, and want to ensure I've the right HD for it when it arrives...

SucCes09 wrote: »
    What HDD would be recommend for a Vu Duo? Does it do internal or external?
    Just bought mine off IELEKTRONIKS today, and want to ensure I've the right HD for it when it arrives...

SATA internal (you'll need a screwdriver) or eSata exernal.

500GB or larger I would suggest. I thought I'd be alright with 250, given my mild use -and I am, but I have run out of space once and had to see about cleaning up some stuff. HD recordings don't be long filling things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Can't seem to get the box to see the HDD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001U3S5S0/ref=oss_product) this is the one I got.

Have tried VTI, VIX, Open Pli

Anyone any ideas, other than removing and inserting in another machine to format

I can't really help other than say I assume you've initialised it within VIX? Try different cables maybe?

Looks like a nice HDD, but perhaps it's the drive itself? You'll need to try it on a pc I guess to ensure it's working. Let me/ us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chris76

Hi guy's could someone post a link for a usb dvb_t stick for soarview for use on my duo and the bh 1.6.3 image..i want a hd stick if possible thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chris76

stanley1 wrote: »

Thanks Stanley

I have looked at the spec and im not sure if this will provide freeview hd for both NI and Soarview. any ideas?

chris

some of the reviews on amazon could be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

I can't really help other than say I assume you've initialised it within VIX? Try different cables maybe?

Looks like a nice HDD, but perhaps it's the drive itself? You'll need to try it on a pc I guess to ensure it's working. Let me/ us know how it goes.

VIX doesn't even see the drive let alone initialise it!

format to fat32, using link below, then put hd into vuduo and format to linux ex3.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone else get the spinning vix icon when they change channels, it stasy on for about 3-5 secs.

would it be the fact i have picons on my hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

ocy wrote: »
    Can't seem to get the box to see the HDD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001U3S5S0/ref=oss_product) this is the one I got.

Have tried VTI, VIX, Open Pli

Anyone any ideas, other than removing and inserting in another machine to format

That's the one I have, works very well.

Have you tried mounting/formatting via telnet? I can't remember the commands off-hand, but there's a load of them listed on the WOS/Vix support forum.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone else get the spinning vix icon when they change channels, it stasy on for about 3-5 secs.

would it be the fact i have picons on my hard drive?
    Possibly, though mine seemed to like doing it even when I had picons on USB pendrive (maybe EPG or something was at fault). Along with the fact the HDD is probably wound down due to inactivity.

I have my HDD going to sleep after 4 hours inactive now, less annoying.

On another note - I have now added a Powered USB hub to my Vu+, in the vain hope of making the NovaT stick reliable. Still think it's the image, or driver therein, but gonna rule out power issues.

byte

Nope, powered USB hub didn't make any noticeable difference. NovaT still crashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Anyone know a good supplier for the fan control hardware ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

What's "the fan control hardware"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

byte wrote: »
    Nope, powered USB hub didn't make any noticeable difference. NovaT still crashes.

Hi mate sorry to hear about your issues with nova t.
    Try removing your nova t tuner and going to menu/plugins and press red to remove. Scroll to dvb and remove the nova.driver. insert your nova tuner back in rear usb and reboot.
    Next download then italysatdtt driver for duo from here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8329-Panel-DTT-for-all-E2-images-for-dreambox-and-VU&highlight=italysat
    Ftp it to var/volatile/tmp and install VIA ipk installer in vix menu. Then install italysat driver.
    Reboot and your nova t problems shall be no more

(hopefully LOL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Lads - I'm using the latest version of Vix - like everyone here I love it....

One issue though with recording - the odd time when I've a timer set up I get

"In order to record a timer, the tv was switch to the recording service" .

Looks like it's not picking up the HDD though I can play recorded files. (I've a samsung F2 1.5TB drive)

Only way or resolving is a cold boot which then results in loosing the epg (till the daily update)

Any ideas?

byte

irishchris wrote: »
    Hi mate sorry to hear about your issues with nova t.
    Try removing your nova t tuner and going to menu/plugins and press red to remove. Scroll to dvb and remove the nova.driver. insert your nova tuner back in rear usb and reboot.
    Next download then italysatdtt driver for duo from here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8329-Panel-DTT-for-all-E2-images-for-dreambox-and-VU&highlight=italysat
    Ftp it to var/volatile/tmp and install VIA ipk installer in vix menu. Then install italysat driver.
    Reboot and your nova t problems shall be no more

(hopefully LOL)
    Hmm, thanks for the info, Chris.

I'll try that when I return from hols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Funkyzeit, Ive been searching the web on this very issue. Ive seen it 3-4 times in the last 2 weeks. Had it last night too. Had to do a full restart on the box to get it back to work. I dont know whats causing it though but its bloody annoying. I have also seen the EPG go as well when rebooting on this issue. Also the EPG failing to download, this I traced down to the usb key where the epg is was going to RO instead of RW. I also read on another site that the "In order to record a timer" issue might be something to do with folder permissions. If so something in VIX or PLi is throwing a wobbler on permissions. Nothing appearing though on VIX Site on it.

D
    Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Lads - I'm using the latest version of Vix - like everyone here I love it....

One issue though with recording - the odd time when I've a timer set up I get

"In order to record a timer, the tv was switch to the recording service" .

Looks like it's not picking up the HDD though I can play recorded files. (I've a samsung F2 1.5TB drive)

Only way or resolving is a cold boot which then results in loosing the epg (till the daily update)

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Using the MyTubePlayer plugin. When I fire up the on screen keyboard (blue) and type a search phrase, it returns a dialog with search results. However this dialog does not seem to have focus. No matter what keys I try, The only one that it responds to is 'ok'. Can anyone tell me how do I scroll the list up and down?

I have tried everything.

174057.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I am thinking of getting a Vu+ solo as my clone DM800HD is doing my head in (dodgy reader, dodgy tuner, dodgy kit!). Anyway, as this box runs E2 does anyone know if it would take a restore of a DM image dump? I particuarly don't want to setup all my motor setting again.

Also, there is no place for an internal drive on the Solo.
    Does anyone have any experience with an external USB drive?
    Will the Solo power it?
    Is the read/write speed good enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just a quick query, if i add a timer for say "top gear 1 of 8" in the description

will it record all 8 of them?

or is it better just to add top gear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

azzeretti wrote: »
    Also, there is no place for an internal drive on the Solo.
    Does anyone have any experience with an external USB drive?
    Will the Solo power it?
    Is the read/write speed good enough?

I took a 2.5" drive out of a DM600, put an external USB housing on the HDD and run it off a Vu+ solo usb port - seems to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jolatacqce

would anyone be so kind and tell me where I should FTP drivers to?,I'm using latest Blackhole image,on aVu+Duo.

irishgeo wrote: »
    just a quick query, if i add a timer for say "top gear 1 of 8" in the description

will it record all 8 of them?

or is it better just to add top gear?

I wouldn't think so.

It sounds like you are using rytec epg feeds, which tend to have inconsistent naming.

If you add an auto timer for "top gear 1 of 8" it would probably only record one episode, because the next one would be called "top gear 2 of 8", which wouldn't match.

the best way that I have found would be to use opentv epg feeds, these come off the satellite, and are the same as what sky use, and to set the autotimer for exact match, 'override found with alternative service' set to no, and enable timespan matching.

You will catch some repeats, if they match the criteria but I don't think that can be helped.

I wouldn't think so.

It sounds like you are using rytec epg feeds, which tend to have inconsistent naming.

If you add an auto timer for "top gear 1 of 8" it would probably only record one episode, because the next one would be called "top gear 2 of 8", which wouldn't match.

the best way that I have found would be to use opentv epg feeds, these come off the satellite, and are the same as what sky use, and to set the autotimer for exact match, 'override found with alternative service' set to no, and enable timespan matching.

You will catch some repeats, if they match the criteria but I don't think that can be helped.

...Or set Exact Match off, then delete everything other than "Top Gear".

• Registered Users Posts: 39 void2500

How big harddrive can you have on this receiver?
    Is there any restrictions on the linux filesystem?

I am thinking of getting this receiver. Would it be able to handle Sky?
    Is any additional hardware required?

What is the recommended image to use?
    Seems to be a few to choose from.

void2500 wrote: »
    How big harddrive can you have on this receiver?
    Is there any restrictions on the linux filesystem?

Not that I know of.
    I am thinking of getting this receiver. Would it be able to handle Sky?

Yup. From what I hear. Stick your Sky card in.
    Is any additional hardware required?

If you're using a Sky card you'll already have the Irish channels, so I don't think so. If you're not using Sky you'll need a USB DTT stick such as the PS3 Play TV or Nova T.

Ideally you should have it connected to the internet, preferably via a network so you can connect to it that way -for copying files to/from, rearranging channel-lineup (via "Dreamedit" software), viewing recorded material on your PC, etc..

Another USB stick (small one) for updating the firmware is recommended, although once you have it installed once for most people updating isn't a priority.
    What is the recommended image to use?
    Seems to be a few to choose from.

I've only ever used VIX. Can't say how much better or worse others are. No complaints here.

Be aware -this machine isn't "Plug 'n Play". You'll have a few things to do before you get it working as you see fit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement