Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vu+ duo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 guff daddy

byte wrote: »
    Hmm, thanks for the info, Chris.

I'll try that when I return from hols.
    I'm trying this driver as well - I have similar issue with Nova-T (VIX logo spinning, reboot required) which seems to be related to the Permanent Time Shift (doesn't happen if PTS is switched off).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 void2500

Not that I know of.

Yup. From what I hear. Stick your Sky card in.

If you're using a Sky card you'll already have the Irish channels, so I don't think so. If you're not using Sky you'll need a USB DTT stick such as the PS3 Play TV or Nova T.

Ideally you should have it connected to the internet, preferably via a network so you can connect to it that way -for copying files to/from, rearranging channel-lineup (via "Dreamedit" software), viewing recorded material on your PC, etc..

Another USB stick (small one) for updating the firmware is recommended, although once you have it installed once for most people updating isn't a priority.

I've only ever used VIX. Can't say how much better or worse others are. No complaints here.

Be aware -this machine isn't "Plug 'n Play". You'll have a few things to do before you get it working as you see fit.

I don't expect it to be super easy to install, from the experience I have from Linux is that it takes a lot of configuration to get everything working correctly. How fast does this box boot up?

Where can I buy it cheap? I tried Amazon, found it for £322 but it didn't seem to send to Ireland, the funny thing was that seller was located in Germany. sent an email to seller and asked if they had any plans to ship to Ireland too, got the answer that Amazon didn't allow them, but got the direct link to their own site, 369 eur plus 19 eur in shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

We've discussed it here in the past, but there is no "Linux setups" to do in this. It's not that obtuse. I gave a summary of what's needed in this post if you'd like to see it all in one place.

Most people here, including myself, seem to have bought it from this Spanish site, ielektroniks. It's a good company by all reports (I had no problems but at least one person here sent his back because of a fault, which was handled without a problem, although repair turned out to be unnecessary). ...be aware your order will say "Processing" right up until the day it arrives at your door. Expect it in about a week to ten days from order date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

great price and 100% positive feedback, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

void2500 wrote: »

They do have their own site, cheaper again, shipping seems to be €12. Great price:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

This has been highlighted before, but it's still a problem.

When you program a zap event. The zap happens but the channel change is not added to last scanned history. So, when a zap event occurs, if you then browse to another channel, you cannot use the back button to return to the "zapped" channel as the system does not know about it. Fundamental usability stuff, very annoying.

Secondly, when using epg, If I have the OK Button set to Zap in menu. I fire up epg. I have a small screen top right. I'm looking at shows, reading synopsis etc. I then OK a channel and that chan starts playing in my small top right screen. But if I now press exit, the system reverts back to the channel I was on when I first loaded up epg. I basically get lost. I realise I can use "long press OK" or OK Button set to Zap+Exit but my point is that when a channel is selected within epg, that should be the current channel. Upon pressing exit, the most recent selected channel should be what I exit on.

I often while in epg, select a channel and watch it for a minute in the small preview screen top right. I might then scroll the epg reading other show synopsis. I then decide, ok I've read enough, I'll watch the show that I currently have selected. But remember now, cursor is not on that channel, it's a page or 2 down cos I was reading other schedules. Only option is to press exit. But wtf? I am reverted back to the channel I was in when I first loaded epg, not the one I selected while there.

This problem only started after the last one or two updates. Very annoying and difficult to describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

dnme wrote: »
    This has been highlighted before, but it's still a problem.

When you program a zap event. The zap happens but the channel change is not added to last scanned history. So, when a zap event occurs, if you then browse to another channel, you cannot use the back button to return to the "zapped" channel as the system does not know about it. Fundamental usability stuff, very annoying.

Secondly, when using epg, If I have the OK Button set to Zap in menu. I fire up epg. I have a small screen top right. I'm looking at shows, reading synopsis etc. I then OK a channel and that chan starts playing in my small top right screen. But if I now press exit, the system reverts back to the channel I was on when I first loaded up epg. I basically get lost. I realise I can use "long press OK" or OK Button set to Zap+Exit but my point is that when a channel is selected within epg, that should be the current channel. Upon pressing exit, the most recent selected channel should be what I exit on.

I often while in epg, select a channel and watch it for a minute in the small preview screen top right. I might then scroll the epg reading other show synopsis. I then decide, ok I've read enough, I'll watch the show that I currently have selected. But remember now, cursor is not on that channel, it's a page or 2 down cos I was reading other schedules. Only option is to press exit. But wtf? I am reverted back to the channel I was in when I first loaded epg, not the one I selected while there.

This problem only started after the last one or two updates. Very annoying and difficult to describe.

I had a discussion about your second issue with a developer on the world of satellite forum, and apparently that is a deliberate feature of vix called 'channel preview', where you can preview a number of channels, and return to the original channel, when finished.
    I have it completely disabled, by setting the ok button to 'zap+exit'

From what I got from the discussion is that they are quite proud of the feature that is unique to vix, so if you have an idea that might improve that feature, they might be open to developing code for that.

kierank01 wrote: »
    I had a discussion about your second issue with a developer on the world of satellite forum, and apparently that is a deliberate feature of vix called 'channel preview', where you can preview a number of channels, and return to the original channel, when finished.
    I have it completely disabled, by setting the ok button to 'zap+exit'

From what I got from the discussion is that they are quite proud of the feature that is unique to vix, so if you have an idea that might improve that feature, they might be open to developing code for that.

That's amazing. It's a dysfunctional feature. It goes against the fundamentals of usability. The user has the potential to get completely lost within the epg, happens me regularly. It's a clear example of someone over thinking and messing imo. The epg is now over complicated. When a user selects a channel, that should be it. If they want to revert back to where they once where, use the last scanned history feature.

• Advertisement

That's amazing. It's a dysfunctional feature. It goes against the fundamentals of usability. The user has the potential to get completely lost within the epg, happens me regularly. It's a clear example of someone over thinking and messing imo. The epg is now over complicated. When a user selects a channel, that should be it. If they want to revert back to where they once where, use the last scanned history feature.

I agree with you, but from what Kierank01 says there is a workaround. Not worth getting upset about.

I agree with you, but from what Kierank01 says there is a workaround. Not worth getting upset about.

Thanks Gunther and Kieran01. Not upset at all, just giving feedback albeit indirectly.

Ive asked this before but no answer and its driving me insane. Can someone please please please tell me how do I keep my sky ftv card alive in the vu+ duo. Every 4-6 weeks I loose all my extra channels (pick, 5*, 5 USA, ITV HD etc) and I have to dig out the old sky box, place the card in it overnight and start again. There must be an easier way. Using oscam btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Ive asked this before but no answer and its driving me insane. Can someone please please please tell me how do I keep my sky ftv card alive in the vu+ duo. Every 4-6 weeks I loose all my extra channels (pick, 5*, 5 USA, ITV HD etc) and I have to dig out the old sky box, place the card in it overnight and start again. There must be an easier way. Using oscam btw.

What version of oscam? Are you using a client to connect to it or are you using the DVB API direct to the card? Did you compile oscam yourself? If yes, is the WEBINF compiled with it, that is can you get to oscam via a webpage?

If you can get to oscam I would enable emm debug to an output file(you can change this in the oscam config (log_file=/var/log/oscam/log.out - you will have to "mkdir /var/log/oscam" first or the process most likely won't be able to write to the file.
    Also, change EMMCache to 1,3,15 and starting looking at the EMM traffic in the logs.

Having said all of this, I don't have a Sky FTV card (just a subscribed card) but I would imagine they are fairly similar - also, have you tried just CCcam?

azzeretti wrote: »
    What version of oscam? Are you using a client to connect to it or are you using the DVB API direct to the card? Did you compile oscam yourself? If yes, is the WEBINF compiled with it, that is can you get to oscam via a webpage?

If you can get to oscam I would enable emm debug to an output file(you can change this in the oscam config (log_file=/var/log/oscam/log.out - you will have to "mkdir /var/log/oscam" first or the process most likely won't be able to write to the file.
    Also, change EMMCache to 1,3,15 and starting looking at the EMM traffic in the logs.

Having said all of this, I don't have a Sky FTV card (just a subscribed card) but I would imagine they are fairly similar - also, have you tried just CCcam?

Many thanks but I have no clue what you are saying? way too complicated for me. It took me three weeks to figure how to get oscam working and that was 6 months ago.

Using oscam info (blue button) but I cannot figure out where the version info is. My installer file is called enigma2-plugin-cams-oscam.1.00.4863_1.0_mipsel.ipk

I can log into web interface on vu+duo ip:8888. That shows readers 1/1 - cardok, clients 1/1 ok etc.

All I want to do is keep the sky ftv card alive. I presume this means adding a setting or two the the oscam.config file or similar. Can anyone please help me with this?

I can log into web interface on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

dnme, have you joined any dedicated vuo + forums? this one is very good but you have to do a bit of reading.

world-of-satellite com,

gbc

• Advertisement

rurs wrote: »
    They do have their own site, cheaper again, shipping seems to be €12. Great price:D

I went ahead and bought the receiver from the site yesterday evening.
    I say it takes at least a week to get it here from Estonia.

Is there any guides around how to set it up, I plan to flash it with the Vix image as it seems most people recommend it.

I will begin with to set it up for FTA channels from Astra2/Eurobird and after that try to get it to work with my white Sky card.

see post above yours! world of etc enjoy

and let us know how you get on

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    dnme, have you joined any dedicated vuo + forums? this one is very good but you have to do a bit of reading.

world-of-satellite com,

gbc

I have, and I've read and read. Can't find anywhere that deals with my issue in a simple fashion. I even found an oscam sky card tutorial. It does not mention keeping alive. I'm trying to avoid having to do an honours degree on the subject. I just want it to work.

Is there anyone here who has oscam running on their VU+Duo with a sky ftv card? I'm sure there must be. Does your sky card stay alive? If so could you possibly let me have your config files (strip out your own box ID first) ?

I have a Sky card from an old (defunct) subscription. I never thought of using it in the Vu+ Duo since I thought I had all the channels without it anyway (?)

What am I missing?

(...And if I am missing something, some clues as to how to go about getting it working on the Duo (and re-registering it on my not-in-use sky+box) without the aforementioned degree in forum-trawling would be much appreciated.)

I have a Sky card from an old (defunct) subscription. I never thought of using it in the Vu+ Duo since I thought I had all the channels without it anyway (?)

What am I missing?

(...And if I am missing something, some clues as to how to go about getting it working on the Duo (and re-registering it on my not-in-use sky+box) without the aforementioned degree in forum-trawling would be much appreciated.)

Your missing......

ITV HD
    Channel 5
    Channel 5 HD
    5*
    5 USA
    Pick TV (formerly Sky 3)
    Viva

Definately worth having

• Advertisement

I have ITV HD and Channel 5. Not that I've ever looked at Channel 5. I don't think the others are worth it either for me. Thanks though, interesting. :)

hi, I posted for you and got this reply " Use CCcam bog standard settings with a boxkey if you have premium channels and it will update itself Oscam is more complicated and if you do not want to watch PickTV, than stick with CCcam."

I then read a bit more and got the following:

Install CCam 2.2.1 or higher by doing the following:
    - FTP your .ipk file to the /tmp folder on the VU+ box.
    - On the box press Menu, Setup, VIX, IPK Installer - install the .ipk you just placed in the /
    tmp folder.
    - You have to manually create the CCcam.cfg file and place it in the /etc folder on the VU+.
    - To do this open Notepad (or similar) and type the following lines:
    BOXKEY: /dev/sci0 12 34 AB CD
    SMARTCARD CLOCK FREQUENCY: /dev/sci0 3570000
    - You need to replace the Box Key with your own box key information. This is figured out
    by converting the 10 digit code from your *l**y box in to hexadecimal. To do this, write down
    the 17 digit number on the back/bottom of your ***ly box. Ignore the first 6 characters and
    write down the following following 10 digits, and ignore the last digit. For example:
    1E200506858456748
    Ignore the first 6: 1E2005
    The 10 you want: 0685845674
    Ignore the last 1: 8
    Convert those 10 digits to hex, and you would get something like the following:
    28e12caa
    So your .cfg file will contain:
    BOXKEY: /dev/sci0 28 E1 2C AA
    /dev/sci0 indicates that you are putting your ***y card in the top slot card reader. /dev/sci1
    would be the second slot.
    - Save the file by go to “File” > “Save As” change “Save as type” to “All Files” name the file
    CCcam.cfg
    - FTP the .cfg file to the /etc directory on the VU+ box.
    - Turn off the VU+ box.
    - Insert your ***y card in to the top slot (if you set your .cfg file this way)
    - Turn on your VU+ box
    - Select Menu, Setup, Softcam/ci, Softcam Manager,
    - Select CCcam.2.2.1 and press green to start it, or better - press blue to autostart it.
    DONE!

hi, I posted for you and got this reply " Use CCcam bog standard settings with a boxkey if you have premium channels and it will update itself Oscam is more complicated and if you do not want to watch PickTV, than stick with CCcam."

I then read a bit more and got the following:

Install CCam 2.2.1 or higher by doing the following:
    - FTP your .ipk file to the /tmp folder on the VU+ box.
    - On the box press Menu, Setup, VIX, IPK Installer - install the .ipk you just placed in the /
    tmp folder.
    - You have to manually create the CCcam.cfg file and place it in the /etc folder on the VU+.
    - To do this open Notepad (or similar) and type the following lines:
    BOXKEY: /dev/sci0 12 34 AB CD
    SMARTCARD CLOCK FREQUENCY: /dev/sci0 3570000
    - You need to replace the Box Key with your own box key information. This is figured out
    by converting the 10 digit code from your *l**y box in to hexadecimal. To do this, write down
    the 17 digit number on the back/bottom of your ***ly box. Ignore the first 6 characters and
    write down the following following 10 digits, and ignore the last digit. For example:
    1E200506858456748
    Ignore the first 6: 1E2005
    The 10 you want: 0685845674
    Ignore the last 1: 8
    Convert those 10 digits to hex, and you would get something like the following:
    28e12caa
    So your .cfg file will contain:
    BOXKEY: /dev/sci0 28 E1 2C AA
    /dev/sci0 indicates that you are putting your ***y card in the top slot card reader. /dev/sci1
    would be the second slot.
    - Save the file by go to “File” > “Save As” change “Save as type” to “All Files” name the file
    CCcam.cfg
    - FTP the .cfg file to the /etc directory on the VU+ box.
    - Turn off the VU+ box.
    - Insert your ***y card in to the top slot (if you set your .cfg file this way)
    - Turn on your VU+ box
    - Select Menu, Setup, Softcam/ci, Softcam Manager,
    - Select CCcam.2.2.1 and press green to start it, or better - press blue to autostart it.
    DONE!

I don't have an FTV card but surely it isn't paired with a box? You only need a boxkey to clear premium channels. Anyway, CCcam will definatly update the entitlements. One thing about OSCAM. Did you check the AU was set to one in the config. If it is not then it will ignore emm's etc.

I have, and I've read and read. Can't find anywhere that deals with my issue in a simple fashion. I even found an oscam sky card tutorial. It does not mention keeping alive. I'm trying to avoid having to do an honours degree on the subject. I just want it to work.

Is there anyone here who has oscam running on their VU+Duo with a sky ftv card? I'm sure there must be. Does your sky card stay alive? If so could you possibly let me have your config files (strip out your own box ID first) ?

Can you post your oscam config? There shouldn't be any need for boxkey for FTV cards. Is AU turned on for the reader?

Can you post your oscam config? There shouldn't be any need for boxkey for FTV cards. Is AU turned on for the reader?

azzeretti, here they are. I have removed my box id and replaced it with n's. Dont ask me what or why they are the way they are, I just followed advice from all quarters when editing them. BTW, on the VU+ Duo, They live in /var/tuxbox/config, is this ok?

azzeretti, here they are. I have removed my box id and replaced it with n's. Dont ask me what or why they are the way they are, I just followed advice from all quarters when editing them. BTW, on the VU+ Duo, They live in /var/tuxbox/config, is this ok?

There is quite a bit wrong with your config.

Firstly, change the blockemm-u and blockemm-s to 0. At the moment you are telling OSCAM to block and emm updates you get to the card. Also, there is no need for the boxid for the FTV card, although I am not sure if leaving it there will actually matter to the updates. Can you change the above and take a look at the current entitlement dates in the Webinf? Turning on logging would help too if you could post that.

There is quite a bit wrong with your config.

Firstly, change the blockemm-u and blockemm-s to 0. At the moment you are telling OSCAM to block and emm updates you get to the card. Also, there is no need for the boxid for the FTV card, although I am not sure if leaving it there will actually matter to the updates. Can you change the above and take a look at the current entitlement dates in the Webinf? Turning on logging would help too if you could post that.

Many thanks for the reply.

At the moment you are telling OSCAM to block and emm updates you get to the card

To block and.....? cant figure this out. What are emm updates?
    take a look at the current entitlement dates in the Webinf?

Do you mean view in web browser?
    Turning on logging would help too

How?

I really don't want to get too deep into this stuff it it can be helped. I just want to keep it simple. Do your config files work? if so, can I just use those?

Many thanks for the reply.
    To block and.....? cant figure this out. What are emm updates?
    Do you mean view in web browser?
    How?
    I really don't want to get too deep into this stuff it it can be helped. I just want to keep it simple. Do your config files work? if so, can I just use those?

EMMs Entitlement Management Messages. Basically, they tell your card that it has the authority to decrypt the data stream (kind of!) EMMs are sent at different intervals depending on the service provider. The "Entitlements" link in the card reader tab will tell you what the entitlement expiry date is. If an EMM isn't received to update that date the card will stop clearing channels when that date is reached.

Yep, I meant in the web browser. I can see from you files that logging isn't enabled to a file, just the STDOUT (your screen). Do you know how to ssh/telnet to the Vu+?

To be honest, if I was you I wouldn't use OSCAM for this. If you are just using one card in this box CCcam is the easiest. Download it and install it and the default config should just work without any dicking about.

EMMs Entitlement Management Messages. Basically, they tell your card that it has the authority to decrypt the data stream (kind of!) EMMs are sent at different intervals depending on the service provider. The "Entitlements" link in the card reader tab will tell you what the entitlement expiry date is. If an EMM isn't received to update that date the card will stop clearing channels when that date is reached.

Yep, I meant in the web browser. I can see from you files that logging isn't enabled to a file, just the STDOUT (your screen). Do you know how to ssh/telnet to the Vu+?

To be honest, if I was you I wouldn't use OSCAM for this. If you are just using one card in this box CCcam is the easiest. Download it and install it and the default config should just work without any dicking about.

CCCam stopped working with sky ftc cards for everyone a while back. Thats why we all had to switch to oscam. I am able to telnet to the box. What do I type?

CCCam stopped working with sky ftc cards for everyone a while back. Thats why we all had to switch to oscam. I am able to telnet to the box. What do I type?

OK, this might take a while. But here:

NOTE: Backup all your files before making any changes and don't try this if you are not comfortable with it!

Type everything below without quotes:

1. type "cd /tmp"
    2. type "wget http://downloads.nas-central.org/LS2_MIPSel/Packages/mipsel-nano_2.0"
    3. Let the download complete then type "mv mipsel-nano_2.0 /sbin/nano"
    4. Type "chmod +x /sbin/nano"
    5. Next type "nano /var/tuxbox/config/oscam.conf"
    6. This will open up the oscam.conf file for editing.
    7. Scroll to logfile and remove "stdout" replace it with "/var/log/oscam/oscam.log"
    7-1. add this line "loghistorysize = 1048576000"
    8. Also change the user to = "localuser" and boxtype to "dreambox" (even tho its a Vu this shoud work
    9. Now press "CTRL+X" on your keyboard and you will be asked if you want to save, type "y" and then press enter
    10. type "nano /var/tuxbox/congif/oscam.usr"
    11. Remove the # from the [account]
    12. make user = localuser
    13. make pwd = password
    14. make group = 2
    16. make AU = slot2
    18. CTRL+X and save the file again
    19. type "nano /var/tuxbox/config/oscam.server"
    20. change EMMCache to = 1,3,15
    21. change the blockemm values as I suggest in my previous post (this is the most important part!)
    22. CTRL+X and save

Now restart oscam and check the /var/log/oscam/oscam.log file to see if its filling up. Leave the card there for a while and see if any EMMs appear in the Web interface, in the card reader->entitlements. Send me the log tomorrow if there is no change.

• Advertisement

should this read
    /var/tuxbox/config/oscam.user ?

Ive done all you say and now the card has stopped working. What to do?

Some things I notice....

in oscam.conf under [dvbapi], au = 1 whereas you told me to set au = slot2 in oscam.user. Should they both be the same?

should this read
    /var/tuxbox/config/oscam.user ?

Ive done all you say and now the card has stopped working. What to do?

Some things I notice....

in oscam.conf under [dvbapi], au = 1 whereas you told me to set au = slot2 in oscam.user. Should they both be the same?

OK - card stopped work = bad! Yeah, I had a typo on the path too, it should read /var/tuxbox/config/oscam.user
    It just occured to me that it might be possible that the oscam version you are using wasn't compiled with DVB API support. In the log, can you see the first 8-10 lines? It should announce the version and build along with the supported modules.

Obviously you should put your files back to your original to get the card working. There are a lot of lines in your .user file that I think are redundant. If you leave it with me I can create the files for you, it won't be tonight though!

Regarding the [dvbapi] no, what I said is correct. The au=1 is telling the card to Auto Update, the "slot2" refers back to the label of the reader in the oscam.server file.

Just checked to see if log file updating. Ive no log file at all, also no oscam directory under /var/log

OK, Ive just tried the above steps again checking the card at each step. The card stops working here...when I implement these steps.
    11. Remove the # from the [account]
    12. make user = localuser
    13. make pwd = password

Ah, hold on, theres another line in oscam.user that reads
    disabled = 1, Ive changed this to 1 and it seems to work again.

Also, I manually created the oscam directory in /var/log and chmodded it to 777. I now have a log file in ther ebeing written to.

I might send you this log tomorrow as you say. For now many thanks for all your substantial help. Its very much appreciated.

Just checked to see if log file updating. Ive no log file at all, also no oscam directory under /var/log

OK, Ive just tried the above steps again checking the card at each step. The card stops working here...when I implement these steps.

Ah, hold on, theres another line in oscam.user that reads
    disabled = 1, Ive changed this to 1 and it seems to work again.

Also, I manually created the oscam directory in /var/log and chmodded it to 777. I now have a log file in ther ebeing written to.

I might send you this log tomorrow as you say. For now many thanks for all your substantial help. Its very much appreciated.

Sorry about omitting the log directory creation - it was a long day.

I'm not sure what you say above, if you set disabled=1 in oscam.user then are disabling that user. To be honest though, I think the biggest problem is that the blockemm's was set to 1. Setting these to 0 should allow updates. Also, it is worth trying to figure what version you are using, some of the older versions are a little buggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

This statement is not correct. Most people still use cccam with sky ftv cards. Oscam is only needed for pick tv which most people do not miss.

givecredit wrote: »
    This statement is not correct. Most people still use cccam with sky ftv cards. Oscam is only needed for pick tv which most people do not miss.

If I understand it correct I would need to use Oscam if I have a normal Subscription with Sky?

What is the main difference between ccam and oscam?
    I will set up sky on my Vu+ Duo once I receive it so guess to use the best cam straight away.

givecredit wrote: »

I would have thought so too, and looking around CCcam forums it doesn't seem to the case. CCcam is much easier to configure!

void2500, no you have misunderstood, you dont need oscam with sly sub card, it will work with ccam. read all the guides carefully and as you are starting from a clean sheet take your time.

oscam is far more complex than ccam and to get an explanation you need to google.

for your purposes you dont need oscam from the start, unless you love picktv!!

void2500 wrote: »
    If I understand it correct I would need to use Oscam if I have a normal Subscription with Sky?

I will set up sky on my Vu+ Duo once I receive it so guess to use the best cam straight away.

Nope. CCcam 2.2.1 (and below, in fact) will update Sky cards fine at the moment (there have been some issues with Sky IT and oscam is needed there). However, at present Sky will work, clear and update fine in CCcam.

The biggest I suppose is that oscam is open source, meaning anyone can dip in there and see whats going on. It was also built from the ground up to be very scalable and robust for the whole "that that cannot be discussed here" business. To me it looks like CCcam is on the way out as there hasn't been any updates for a while. The biggest downside to this is that CCcam is so much easier to install and configure that oscam!

• Advertisement

On a semi related issue - my Vu+ UNO arrived yesterday. I can't believe I spent so much time convincing myself that the DM800 was a good piece of kit. Everything about the UNO is far superior - the spec, response time, look, remote control, card readers, image support - it a smashing piece of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 guff daddy

irishchris wrote: »
    Hi mate sorry to hear about your issues with nova t.
    Try removing your nova t tuner and going to menu/plugins and press red to remove. Scroll to dvb and remove the nova.driver. insert your nova tuner back in rear usb and reboot.
    Next download then italysatdtt driver for duo from here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8329-Panel-DTT-for-all-E2-images-for-dreambox-and-VU&highlight=italysat
    Ftp it to var/volatile/tmp and install VIA ipk installer in vix menu. Then install italysat driver.
    Reboot and your nova t problems shall be no more

(hopefully LOL)

Just to update on this - these drivers worked fine for me, no more problems with DTT channels hanging the box - even when running permanent time shift to a USB stick!

Thanks, irishchris

azzeretti, thats good but most importantly, what is the HD pic quality like?

gbc

azzeretti, thats good but most importantly, what is the HD pic quality like?

gbc

Well, to be honest, there isn't a noticable difference between the DM800 and the Vu+. Why would there be I suppose. They both do 720p and 1080i.

Its the power of the box that I think is great. I have 3 DMs and I had to move the webinterface off them onto a Linux server and connect back using the Enigma2 API (I wrote a whole web interface for this). The reason was if someone was watching the DM and I conencted to it remotely (to set a time, search the EPG, stream a movie etc) the DM froze up at the users end. The box just couldn't handle watching TV and serving up the web interface at the same time. The UNO is fantastic for resources and has no trouble :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Going on a different tangent...

Has anyone successfully configured the Vu+ to work on PC's over the internet. ie. Vu+ to PC using VLC to scale the picture for upping on the web via DynDNS.

I've tried a few times but failed, instructions usually involve outdated versions of VLC.

I could get VLC to playback the channel on the Vu+ but I couldn't get it scaling or online. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

byte wrote: »
    Going on a different tangent...

Has anyone successfully configured the Vu+ to work on PC's over the internet. ie. Vu+ to PC using VLC to scale the picture for upping on the web via DynDNS.

I've tried a few times but failed, instructions usually involve outdated versions of VLC.

I could get VLC to playback the channel on the Vu+ but I couldn't get it scaling or online. Very frustrating.

Hi Byte,

if you mean that I can see here at work via vlc whats being watched on my Duo at home, as well as select any other channel and watch that without impacting whats on at home, then yes.

It took me a huge lot of trial + error though, and it really only started working properly after I upgraded to the 50MB UPC package (5MB upload).
    Even now its far from perfect and vlc does crash out now + again, but it is watchable.

I've set up with dyndns on the Inadyn menu on the box, and free dyndns account, with the http port forwarded in the router. VLC is version 1.1.9

One thing I did fail at was the scaling. Anything I did seemed to have little effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Aye, as I have only a half-meg upload maximum, I'll need to be able to scale the picture back.

Maybe I need to roll back to old version of VLC?

Dunno. I'm sure whatever rules apply to Dreambox users would be same for Vu+ (image dependant maybe)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am having problems with my vuo+ duo on the Irish terrestrial stations. I am using VIX 2.2.110 12 August 2011. I have downloaded the italysat driver etc. and it is installed correctly.
    The issue is that following a recording on RTE 2 (for example) I get an error message "Tune failed!" when I change the channel. The programme has recorded. I have to switch off the power and reboot to get access to the terrestrial stations again.
    Has anyone a solution for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

The italysat driver semms to be no better than the vix driver tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

What kind of USB tuner are you using?

It sounds like it's not totally compatible with the driver.
    joolsveer wrote: »
    I am having problems with my vuo+ duo on the Irish terrestrial stations. I am using VIX 2.2.110 12 August 2011. I have downloaded the italysat driver etc. and it is installed correctly.
    The issue is that following a recording on RTE 2 (for example) I get an error message "Tune failed!" when I change the channel. The programme has recorded. I have to switch off the power and reboot to get access to the terrestrial stations again.
    Has anyone a solution for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am using the Wintv Nova T USB stick.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement