Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vu+ duo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭m1nder

I have reverted back to VIX 2.1.4. Much smoother and the EPG makes sense again. :) But I do notice that the device won't play some mkv video files that I think id did play yesterday when I was on the latest version. So here's my question...

Does the version of VIX, affect the movie file / codec playback compatibility of the box? i.e. When they are upgrading VIX, do they upgrade the media playing abilities of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

m1nder wrote: »
    I have reverted back to VIX 2.1.4. Much smoother and the EPG makes sense again. :) But I do notice that the device won't play some mkv video files that I think id did play yesterday when I was on the latest version. So here's my question...

Does the version of VIX, affect the movie file / codec playback compatibility of the box? i.e. When they are upgrading VIX, do they upgrade the media playing abilities of it?

i sorted my epg problems with a full rescan, working perfect since.

irishgeo wrote: »
    i sorted my epg problems with a full rescan, working perfect since.

No, I was referring to this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74897442&postcount=1783

But my latest question remains....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭irishchris

No, I was referring to this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74897442&postcount=1783

But my latest question remains....

every new vix release comes with the latest drivers released by vu+ included. {you can review these driver details here http://www2.vuplus.com/image-release } these affect many areas including movie playback. they only recently released a dts audio fix driver which had been incorporated in last image but if you used say vix 2.0 it would not be there. so chances are mkv video codec has been released in drivers since vix 2.1.4 which were in your latter version of vix which you had installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Where's the cheapest place to buy one of these? Is it worth the money? Have a DM800 original but am caught in two minds on either going with one of these or getting a clone DM800

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    every new vix release comes with the latest drivers released by vu+ included. {you can review these driver details here http://www2.vuplus.com/image-release } these affect many areas including movie playback. they only recently released a dts audio fix driver which had been incorporated in last image but if you used say vix 2.0 it would not be there. so chances are mkv video codec has been released in drivers since vix 2.1.4 which were in your latter version of vix which you had installed.

Thanks for that. Can I update drivers independently of VIX version? i.e. Can I retain VIX 2.1 and update the drivers to latest version ?

Can anyone help me understand the epg structure of the box please..

I am trying to understand the epg store and experimenting with overwriting with different providers etc. I connect to the epg store and delete it. I do this from a Windows machine, I connect to the usb folder and delete all, and connect to the hdd folder just in case, and if there's any epg trace there I delete that also). So I am now expecting a blank epg on the box right? no, it remains fully populated, even if I restart the box.

I notice that after the restart, the usb epg store (\\VUDUO\Root\media\usb) has rebuilt the epg.dat file (around 6MB).
    So (1) how is it rebuilding it? (2)where is it getting the data from? and (3) how do I completely delete my epg to blank it?

Thanks

Can anyone help me understand the epg structure of the box please..

I am trying to understand the epg store and experimenting with overwriting with different providers etc. I connect to the epg store and delete it. I do this from a Windows machine, I connect to the usb folder and delete all, and connect to the hdd folder just in case, and if there's any epg trace there I delete that also). So I am now expecting a blank epg on the box right? no, it remains fully populated, even if I restart the box.

I notice that after the restart, the usb epg store (\\VUDUO\Root\media\usb) has rebuilt the epg.dat file (around 6MB).
    So (1) how is it rebuilding it? (2)where is it getting the data from? and (3) how do I completely delete my epg to blank it?

Thanks

I'm going to answer my own question here, hopefully it'll be of interest or help to others. I've been playing around now for a while and figured a lot of stuff out.

To wipe the epg, I deleted the epg.dat and all other files from my epg store, in my case it was /media/usb. Then I hit the power switch. This is important as otherwise, the box seems to re-write epg.dat if you shut down or restart via the menus.

Upon restart, I did indeed have a completely blank epg which is what I am after. From here, I learned a few things about the epg menu and what is what as follows.

Menu - Menu - Setup - System - EPG - Settings

Here, I had disabled all. I then re-enabled a few items one by one to see what was what. EIT stands for Event Information Table and enabling now/next gives you just that - now / next program info on your channel info bar. Then I set Enable EIT EPG to yes. It seems this goes and retrieves the full DTT EPG (a least a few days worth). I have everything else here left to no.

I have been using CrossEPG with various connotations of providers, download orders etc. I have never been that happy with it for among other reasons...It's sloooooooowowwwwwww. It sits atop your screen downloading everything under the sun. If you choose OpenTV, this actually switches to radio mode to download (very intrusive). It is not discrete, it downloads epg for all channels whereas all I want is the epg for my bouquets. I wondered was there any alternative and then I noticed another menu item "XMLTV-Importer"

Menu - Menu - Setup - System - EPG - XMLTV-Importer

Here, you can choose a rytec source (blue button - RYTEK UK XMLTV), and you can schedule a download, or run it manually. The sweet thing about this is that it seems to run silently in the background and populates all your UK channel EPG data (including sky ftv stuff decrypted by your cam such as 5USA, Pick TV etc). So it looks very interesting and I'll play around with it for a while. But so far, I have managed to get my DTT and UK FTA epg fully and properly populated without any interruption to programs, no osd etc. Quiet, in the background etc. A nicer way to do things, a bit closer to the way it should be perhaps.

I stand to be corrected on anything I have written here and welcome any input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Two questions related to the WebControl on the vu+ uno.

Is there a way to limit the bitrate of the video coming from the box if I wanted to stream to another computer in the house? When I open up the video in VLC on my laptop it only plays the channel for 2 seconds before closing it. It can't handle the high bitrate.

Also, is there a quide around that can help me set up the Uno for streaming over the internet for when I'm away, so I can connect and watch whatever?

Cheers for any help.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Two questions related to the WebControl on the vu+ uno.

Is there a way to limit the bitrate of the video coming from the box if I wanted to stream to another computer in the house? When I open up the video in VLC on my laptop it only plays the channel for 2 seconds before closing it. It can't handle the high bitrate.

Also, is there a quide around that can help me set up the Uno for streaming over the internet for when I'm away, so I can connect and watch whatever?

Cheers for any help.

i done some research on this and to be honest its nearly impossible to get it working correctly.

In the home network is fine, but over the internet with you having to decrease the bitrate its almost impossible. lots of threads etc on this. do a google search " Vu+ duo streaming over the internet"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Hi guys, I've a couple of questions about my DTT is anyone can help.

I've have an aerial plugged into a PlayTv and have scanned & found 18 channels. They don't appear in my EPG, and the only way I can see to get to them is TV button, Satellites, Terrestrial Services. I'm guessing I've missed something.

The second issue is more of a problem - the channels are unwatchable. They stutter, freeze and are block reds & greens. The picture is perfect going directly into the TV. I've tried 'Enable 5V for active antenna' on and off, and have waded through the menus to see if I can find anything I've missed, but with no luck.

I'm running the latest Vix and Nova T driver (although I can't figure how to find it again to check/update).

Anybody any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

You need to use Dreamedit software on your PC to rearrange your channel listing into Favourites (it plucks your listing from the network ip you give it for the Duo). After that you can view all channels from any source in one single EPG/ list.

...Well I think you can rearrange them on the Duo itself too but very time consuming that way.

As for unwatchable picture... sounds like how my DTT channels go if I hit the aerial -I have a very small window of perfection. If the rabbit ears are moved I lose the picture. This is down to signal strength. I don't think there is a solution other than boosting it via an aerial on the roof... or finding that sweet-spot, if possible, where it works.

You need to use Dreamedit software on your PC to rearrange your channel listing into Favourites (it plucks your listing from the network ip you give it for the Duo). After that you can view all channels from any source in one single EPG/ list.

...Well I think you can rearrange them on the Duo itself too but very time consuming that way.

As for unwatchable picture... sounds like how my DTT channels go if I hit the aerial -I have a very small window of perfection. If the rabbit ears are moved I lose the picture. This is down to signal strength. I don't think there is a solution other than boosting it via an aerial on the roof... or finding that sweet-spot, if possible, where it works.

Thanks for the reply Gunther. I'll pull back the channels & edit into something meaningful.

The picture isn't unfortunately bad aerial - it's a good signal coming off the roof, so I'm still looking for ideas on that one.

amby666 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Gunther. I'll pull back the channels & edit into something meaningful.

The picture isn't unfortunately bad aerial - it's a good signal coming off the roof, so I'm still looking for ideas on that one.

You might have picked up some dogdy trace of UK freeview. This is a DTT service and if you live near North or East, you can often pick up a range of UK channels. They break up etc due to weak signal.

Try re-scanning your DTT tuner again. Dont forget to set your tuner settings to - enabled, Europe, Middle East etc. Might be a good idea to do a manual scan specific to yoru transmitter. Tuning info here - http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

amby666 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've a couple of questions about my DTT is anyone can help.

I've have an aerial plugged into a PlayTv and have scanned & found 18 channels. They don't appear in my EPG, and the only way I can see to get to them is TV button, Satellites, Terrestrial Services. I'm guessing I've missed something.

The second issue is more of a problem - the channels are unwatchable. They stutter, freeze and are block reds & greens. The picture is perfect going directly into the TV. I've tried 'Enable 5V for active antenna' on and off, and have waded through the menus to see if I can find anything I've missed, but with no luck.

I'm running the latest Vix and Nova T driver (although I can't figure how to find it again to check/update).

Anybody any ideas? Thanks

When you say the picture is perfect on the TV, is that using the exact same downlead? Or are you using some kind of splitter? Because it does sound like poor signal reaching the Duo. Changing drivers isn't going to help, if the drivers were wrong you'd get nothing.

Does Vix give Signal Quality and BER readings for terrestrial? It shows up in the info bar in Blackhole, that should give some idea of what's wrong.

You might have picked up some dogdy trace of UK freeview. This is a DTT service and if you live near North or East, you can often pick up a range of UK channels. They break up etc due to weak signal.

Try re-scanning your DTT tuner again. Dont forget to set your tuner settings to - enabled, Europe, Middle East etc. Might be a good idea to do a manual scan specific to yoru transmitter. Tuning info here - http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

I've tried this and lost them again!
    The link shows I should use
    Three Rock Dublin 54 58 ? ? H C/D 53.2445, -6.237
    and putting in my address gives -
    SITE
    INFORMATION

Site:
    THREE ROCK

Site On-Air:
    Yes

Channel:

AERIAL
    INFORMATION

Polarization:
    H

Direction to:
    point (degrees)

And my aerial, same downlead has perfect picture on TV.

So my settings look like what is below.
    I can't find anything with a scan as single transponder with the set up below:
    When I change to complete, that's how I found something before if anyone can spot what I've got wrong.

20111030150356.th.jpg
    20111030150319.th.jpg
    20111030150237.th.jpg

So Threerock is on ch 54 and 58, you then lookup the table further down the page. 54 = 738 and 58 = 770. (add the zeros to the end). So try a manual scan on 738000 and 770000. Try bandwidth at 7 or 8 maybe.

What m1nder says, + I think the bandwidth should be 8mHz.

Come to think of it, what your describing is what I get if I scan on the Greystones relay (ch. 52 V). Blocky and unwatchable. I'd go with "Yes" on the last three options, to clear whatever you've scanned before. Single transponder (mux) scn on each of the two frequencies corresponding to Chs. 54+58...although there's not much on 58 atm:(

rurs wrote: »
    So Threerock is on ch 54 and 58, you then lookup the table further down the page. 54 = 738 and 58 = 770. (add the zeros to the end). So try a manual scan on 738000 and 770000. Try bandwidth at 7 or 8 maybe.
    What m1nder says, + I think the bandwidth should be 8mHz.

Come to think of it, what your describing is what I get if I scan on the Greystones relay (ch. 52 V). Blocky and unwatchable. I'd go with "Yes" on the last three options, to clear whatever you've scanned before. Single transponder (mux) scn on each of the two frequencies corresponding to Chs. 54+58...although there's not much on 58 atm:(

Tried all this. Got nothing at 58, or using 7, but 54 (738000) & 8 found 18 channels. Still blocky, so I think I'm almost at the end of the road and the aerial will go directly into the telly, which will work, but a bit of a pity.

As a last effort, 2 more pics in case it sparks something - the SRN looks odd to me, but I don't know what I do to fix if that's the case. Could be the playTv is dodgy..

Thanks to everyone for the help anyway.

20111031114511.th.jpg
    20111031114621.th.jpg

Here's my OSD for 3e. SNR is 0 but AGC up in the 60's - 70's. I'd suggest the DTT tuner on your DUO is struggling with a weak signal. You probably need to adjust / improve your aerial.

179765.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

yes, agc is very low, mine is usually 82% from 3 rock, you might need to readjust your aerial, snr is not shown on terrestrial channels with vix image.

Thanks a lot guys. I think I know where to look now.

As it happens, I just got a PlayTV myself today...

Compared to my previous tuner (a generic AF9015 based device), the SNR is lower, and jumps around a bit. With the AF9015, it was pinned at 82%, solid reception, swapped to PlayTV, picture was breaking up.

I have an indoor amplified aerial at the mo (the cable run from outdoor aerial being used for a temp. second dish), gain at just under halfway gave good reception on the AF9015, I found I had to turn it up to around three quarters to get a stable picture on the PlayTV.

So it seems the PlayTV tuner isn't as sensitive as some, in your case amby666, not as sensitive as your TV. Either a masthead amp, or maybe an inline booster might make the PlayTV usable...

anyway of getting tivo like features on to vu+ duo?

anyway of getting tivo like features on to vu+ duo?

What kind of features are you after?

What kind of features are you after?

how it records shows you like?

Most definitely...you need to add a hard drive, internal or external, then setup getting the EPG info from the web or from satellite, easy enough.

Then you choose shows to record, from the guide, or use a plugin called Autotimer, which scans the the guide, and will record the same programme every time it's on a particular channel at a particular time range.

Depending on which channels you're recording, you can make multiple simultaneous recordings, at least three if you add a USB tuner for the Irish channels, and have two feeds from satellite.

So yes, recording TV is something the Duo does very well :D

Most definitely...you need to add a hard drive, internal or external, then setup getting the EPG info from the web or from satellite, easy enough.

Then you choose shows to record, from the guide, or use a plugin called Autotimer, which scans the the guide, and will record the same programme every time it's on a particular channel at a particular time range.

Depending on which channels you're recording, you can make multiple simultaneous recordings, at least three if you add a USB tuner for the Irish channels, and have two feeds from satellite.

So yes, recording TV is something the Duo does very well :D
    It's know it does that but I want it to learn what I like and record shows without me setting it.

It's know it does that but I want it to learn what I like and record shows without me setting it.

Yes it's quite the mind reader. I have personally used it to contact the other side also. Great little machine.

• Advertisement

Yes it's quite the mind reader. I have personally used it to contact the other side also. Great little machine.
    The tivo seems to manage it smartarse

Well aren't you a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

LMAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

You've been able to contact the other side :eek:.

Seriously though, for it to be able to do that, then it would probably need to collect data about what you and everyone else watches, then submit that to a centralised database, then do lots of number crunching.

There is a number of issues that I see with that, one is the privacy issues, then there is the installed userbase, to be able to get good data, there would need to be a large amount of users, which there isn't, or a lease on the same rom/image.

kierank01 wrote: »
    You've been able to contact the other side :eek:.

Seriously though, for it to be able to do that, then it would probably need to collect data about what you and everyone else watches, then submit that to a centralised database, then do lots of number crunching.

There is a number of issues that I see with that, one is the privacy issues, then there is the installed userbase, to be able to get good data, there would need to be a large amount of users, which there isn't, or a lease on the same rom/image.

having done some research into the feature on tivo ,its called tivo suggestions and here is a brief description of how it works.
    TiVo Suggestions are personalized shows selected to match your preferences. How is this magic possible? Any time you watch live TV or recorded programs, or browse programs with the Guide, you can rate each show by pressing the THUMBS UP and THUMBS DOWN button while the show is selected. You can give a program up to three thumbs up or down.

At first, TiVo may suggest a seemingly random set of shows. Over time, the more shows you rate with your THUMBS buttons, the better TiVo Suggestions will be at finding programs you like.

When the DVR has empty space, it will automatically record some TiVo Suggestions. This is an excellent way for you to discover new shows that may be of interest to you. You can find recorded TiVo Suggestions at the bottom of the TiVo Recordings list below the recordings you requested. Suggestions will have a TiVo icon next to them and will be stored in a TiVo Suggestions folder if Groups are enabled.

i dont see the need to have your suggestions uploaded to a server for number crucnhing. the box could do that.

i think this needs to be tied into the epg. i wonder should i suggest it to the cross epg devs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

i wonder should i suggest it to the cross epg devs.

Of course you are free to do that but be prepared for a less than positive reaction.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

i dont see the need to have your suggestions uploaded to a server for number crucnhing. the box could do that.

If the box was to do the number crunching, it would have to compare your +'s to others, meaning that it would have to download everyone's suggestions, which would be much worse in terms of privacy, and it still dosen't address the issue of quality of data, with the small userbase.

How it records shows you might like is a bit different to "how it records shows you like"....

Anyway, maybe suggesting it to the CoolEPG developer would be more appropriate, crossEPG just downloads and builds a database.
    Presumably the Tivo EPG has some kind of tags added to shows, and that's how it learns what you like. I don't know if any of the available EPGs have tags that could be used.

It would certainly be a nice addition to the Duo. Although it _might_ be difficult to adopt the suggestion hardly deserves to be derided the way it has here. (By some)

how do i get cool tv guide v5 epg to work with vix?

i have put the ipk in tmp and installed it but nothing seems have been installed in plugins?

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 guff daddy

how do i get cool tv guide v5 epg to work with vix?

i have put the ipk in tmp and installed it but nothing seems have been installed in plugins?

any ideas?

Menu/Setup/System/Button Setup
    Set "EPG Button Mode" to "Show CoolTV Guide"

But regarding the TiVo features I doubt if it will be possible to implement: effectively you want the system to recognise the type of show you like and record other similar programs. If you indicate you like "Have I Got News For You" it should recognise this as being of the type "Comedy/Panel Show/News Based" and record something similarly tagged, e.g. "Mock The Week".

However the EPG information doesn't include those tags so it won't be able to work out what programs are similar to what you watch. I believe the TiVo has a whole separate database of program information which it downloads in order to provide this function.

• Advertisement

guff daddy wrote: »
    Menu/Setup/System/Button Setup
    Set "EPG Button Mode" to "Show CoolTV Guide"

What is CoolTV Guide anyway? Is it a particular EPG or does it give something else?
    guff daddy wrote: »
    But regarding the TiVo features I doubt if it will be possible to implement: effectively you want the system to recognise the type of show you like and record other similar programs. If you indicate you like "Have I Got News For You" it should recognise this as being of the type "Comedy/Panel Show/News Based" and record something similarly tagged, e.g. "Mock The Week".

However the EPG information doesn't include those tags so it won't be able to work out what programs are similar to what you watch. I believe the TiVo has a whole separate database of program information which it downloads in order to provide this function.

I think as someone else suggested, it could work if enough preferences were uploaded to a central database. This would give info such as "72% of people who liked Have I Got News for You also liked QI, but 81% rated Mock the Week negatively". ...As stated, Vu+ device in itself might not give a big enough sample, but there'd be no harm in trying it out. Who knows, others might join in.

Alternatively, a cut-down system might do something like record everything 'starring' a particular person. For instance if you tell your Duo to look out for "Jeremy Paxman" perhaps it could record all the Newsnights and University Challenge and maybe some chat show he was appearing in (depending on the description). ...just an example/ not suggesting anyone _should_ add such a search-term.

Or you could add the term "comedy" as something to search a description for. ...Or something.

I'm sure there are more ways for inventive plugins to record/ make suggestions.

Show CoolTV Guide keeps green screening my box.

also my epg has stopped downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks, just a quick query regarding Dave HD and Watch HD.
    I'm using the B16MCC frontend to keep my Sly bouquets updated with the HD swap enabled.
    However since these channels went to their HD status, for some reason the channels are greyed out in my buoquet list(as is NHK world HD)<
    If I browse channels via the up/down arrow into my bouquet list these channels show greyed out with no EPG info.
    Anyone know why? Or how to fix it?
    My Bouquet database is upto date(last downloaded today) and my sats.xml is also upto date, I have updated both and rescanned the sat in the hope that would sort it with no joy :(

banie01 wrote: »
    Folks, just a quick query regarding Dave HD and Watch HD.
    I'm using the B16MCC frontend to keep my Sly bouquets updated with the HD swap enabled.
    However since these channels went to their HD status, for some reason the channels are greyed out in my buoquet list(as is NHK world HD)
    If I browse channels via the up/down arrow into my bouquet list these channels show greyed out with no EPG info.
    Anyone know why? Or how to fix it?
    My Bouquet database is upto date(last downloaded today) and my sats.xml is also upto date, I have updated both and rescanned the sat in the hope that would sort it with no joy :(

I just discovered that the service refs have changed for Watch and Dave hd. A rescan will show them greyed out but then replaced with the same frequency and sid but with a diff ref.
    I just used the add alternatives option in bouquet edit and just swapped them over.
    All sorted now, not that it was much of an issue anyway ;)

I just discovered that the service refs have changed for Watch and Dave hd. A rescan will show them greyed out but then replaced with the same frequency and sid but with a diff ref.
    I just used the add alternatives option in bouquet edit and just swapped them over.
    All sorted now, not that it was much of an issue anyway ;)

Just to be sure....Are Watch and Dave free? or are you using your VU+ Duo to consume a Sky subscription with a cam?

Just to be sure....Are Watch and Dave free? or are you using your VU+ Duo to consume a Sky subscription with a cam?

Just to be sure of what? Dave HD and Watch HD being FTA?
    Nope they aren't FTA, and yes I am using my card via a softcam.

Just to be sure of what? Dave HD and Watch HD being FTA?
    Nope they aren't FTA, and yes I am using my card via a softcam.

Just to be sure that I haven't missed a new batch of free channels on the new N1 satellite (Dave already being part of Freeview in the UK). That's all I was implying!!

Just to be sure that I haven't missed a new batch of free channels on the new N1 satellite (Dave already being part of Freeview in the UK). That's all I was implying!!

Ahhh I get ya ;) Extra FTA channels are always welcome :P
    Any update to the FTA/FTV services will always be well telegraphed over on the satellite forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55 aswell as the other more enthusiast orientated sites ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

New VIX 2.3 out just now.

requires new bootloader and comes with warning that "it is recommended to NOT use older images with this new boot loader, as this may result in a bricked box"
    So be careful out there! (Blackhole 1.6.6 requires new bootloader too)

Link to Duo image:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?13173-ViX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v2-3-19-10-2011

strikethrough because you can use older images with new bootloader on vu+

Hiya folks!
    just a heads up for ye all.....
    The latest Vix 2.3 image has just been released.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?13178-ViX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v2-3-19-11-2011&p=95161
    This image requires the latest bootloader (attached to this post) to be flashed. This is because Vu+ have changed the way the drivers work. So, before updating your image, you will need to first flash the bootloader, then flash the new image. Flashing of new bootloader only takes a few seconds, so once flashing's completed, then just turn off the box, transfer the new image to the usb stick, and flash with that. Also, it is recommended to NOT use older images with this new boot loader, as this may result in a bricked box.
    Because of a lot of changes behind the scenes of the image and building, you will not be able to perform an online update. A full flash is required for this version of ViX image. Due to many changes (a.o. renamed settings) it is strongly advised NOT to restore old settings. Of course channel-settings can be backed up using a setting editor and restored later. We strongly recommend that after installing channel settings from feeds or uploading your own that you re-scan all satellites used to avoid any future issues.

I know the latest BH and a few other images are running the new bootloader now too.
    I wonder if this is going to temporarily at least restrict the images available to a user after flashing?
    I think I'll be waiting for some user feedback before i jump onboard with this latest version.

gambiaman beat me too it ;) LOL

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement