Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vu+ duo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

http://www.satellitetv.ie/raffle

Satellite TV are running a raffle for a Vu Duo only €9 in for a ticket and only 45 tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

irishgeo wrote: »
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/raffle

Satellite TV are running a raffle for a Vu Duo only €9 in for a ticket and only 45 tickets.

€9 for a 1/45 chance of a prize valued at €410. The vu+ duo is only around €300-€320 if you shop around

I think I would get better odds down the bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

recyclebin wrote: »
    €9 for a 1/45 chance of a prize valued at €410. The vu+ duo is only around €300-€320 if you shop around

I think I would get better odds down the bookies.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

Has anyone noticed that amount of channels that keep changing frequency .... Its a big downside with this type of box, having to constantly re-tune dissapeared channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

it only takes 2 mins to upload a new channel list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Don't think using the word "constantly" is appropriate . I've only had to retune mine once this year and even then that was to add a new channel.

dnme wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that amount of channels that keep changing frequency .... Its a big downside with this type of box, having to constantly re-tune dissapeared channels.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭irishchris

dnme wrote: »
    28 east has had a few this year with more to come mainly due to movement to astra 1N. With a life cycle of 15 years for this satellite there should not be such an amount moving at once for quite some time. Think I can live with that lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is there a website that show what channel changes have happened on 28E over the last couple of years?

It would be interesting to see how many times different channels have moved transponder.

The vu+ is fairly easy to update anyway so it's not really a problem for me. I'd say it would be a problem for those not technically minded though.

Edit: I found this thread on world of satellite showing the changes on 28E

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3621-Sky-uk-28-2-east-NEW-CHANNELS

From my own experience, in the past 4-6 weeks, Ive lost . . .

CBS Reality
    ITV
    Channel 4 HD
    Movies 4 Men (possibly +1)
    Movies 4 Men 2 (possibly +1)
    Pick TV

I loose about one or 2 a week or so it seems. That to me is a hell of a lot of upset. Will we ever see the day when these channels can update themselves on non Sky boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Came across a new plugin this week. I think its so good its worth a mention here. Its called:

enigma2-plugin-extensions-remotestreamconvert_2.0+git3+4656143-r0_mipsel

What does it do??

Well, if you are the proud owner of 2 enigma2 satellite receivers, like the VU+Duo, Solo or dreambox 800hd. If you have both(or more, you can as many as you like) of these received networked together, well than you can watch channel from one receiver on the 2nd or 3rd receiver. (more advanced version of partnershipbox) What this plugin does is duplicate whatever bouquet you want from your main receiver onto your other receivers.

Why would you want to do this?

Well you may have pay tv channels that are only viewable on main receiver. These channels would now be viewable on remote receiver by selecting channel from newly created remote bouquet.
    Or you may have your main receiver connected to multisat and other receivers connected only to 28deg. With this plugin you will be able to view all other sats on other receivers by selecting them in remote bouquet.
    Or you may want to have sat tv where you have no satellite cables going to? Conservatory, bedroom etc. Well no problem with this plugin. You just need receiver connected to your house network. Wifi dongle will do! TV without cables.
    Ideally your main receiver should be a twin tuner like duo, so that viewing on 2nd box does not effect viewing on main box. Works flawlessly with Saorview too, if you have DTT dongle in main receiver. (no need for dtt dongle in other receivers)

What do you have to do?

Well download the plugin. Duo users use link below. Dreambox users can get plugin in pli image in plugins/extensions

FTP this plugin to (2nd receiver) Var/Volitile/Tmp Then in menu/VIX install local extension. GUI reboot. It shows up in Menu / Setup / Service Searching

Remote channel stream converter.

Press yellow button, enter ip address of your main receiver, press green. plugin will now find all bouquets on main box, select ones you want on 2nd receiver and press green again. plugin does its magic and your done! You will now have new bouquet called remote_(whatever bouquet name from main receiver)
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Thanks for the heads up on that. It sounds like just the thing I could use - currently I have a single cable from 5W lnb via disecq into one of the tuners on my Vu+ duo. This should allow me to stream 5W to the Gigablue in the bedroom without changing the LNB and running extra cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Auvers wrote: »

http://www.satshop.tv/VU-Duo-Twin

it looks like good price of €299 for the Duo (just want to make sure I am not paying for a clone)
    Looks like most of the major German Sat retailers are now selling the Duo for €299 .
    If only it would drop a bit more I could justify one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

banie01 wrote: »
    I had a few issues getting it up and running initially with incorrect sync but the folks over at the PV forum were a great help and shared with me the little trick of using a 'valerie.info' file particularly for TV series ;)

Any chance you could share the "varerie.info" trick!? While my Movies are syncing fine I can't get it to sync any TV shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

azzeretti wrote: »
    Any chance you could share the "varerie.info" trick!? While my Movies are syncing fine I can't get it to sync any TV shows.

Of Course ;)
    1st off with TV series it helps if you make sure the filename format is in a HTPC or XBMC compatible format (i.e Series name 1x01 or Series Name S01E01)
    I use Mediarenamer for quick and easy series renaming if the files need it.

Then specify a TV series folder in Project Valeries WebIF.
    WebIF>Options>Sync settings.
    I have a folder specified for Movies and a folder specified for Series, it helps PVMC know what its looking for.
    Then add each series in its own folder to the Series folder.

After you have this bit of initial set up done, its onto creating the valerie.info file.
    This is just a notepad file saved under name Valerie.info(Changing the extension from .txt to .info)
    In this file you can add the IMDB TT and the TVDB season id to force Valerie to try sync data add this data in the following format "tt0000000" "tvdb00000".
    As a quick example, say for the series The Sopranos, I would open the Folder, Right click>New>create .txt Document. Rename the .TXT to valerie.info then open the valerie.info and add the following data "tvdb75299" "tt0141842" in that format, then close and save.
    Repeat for any problematic TV series and then run a Full Sync and it should resolve the TV sync issues.

Hope thats some help mate, and any other questions ask away...
    If I can help, I will.

P.S Just to add, TV series recorded direct from Sat, will need to be renamed!
    As the Enigma2 naming convention isn't compatible with the PVMC database i.e 20120125 1209 - Sky Atlantic HD - Game of Thrones.ts should be renamed as Game of Thrones 1x01 or Game of Thrones S01E01

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Guys - just bought a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T USB Stick in the hope of tuning in Saorview -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WinTV-NOVA-T-USB-Stick-freeview/dp/tech-data/B000F8RPQE/ref=de_a_smtd

The drivers were already there (Black Hole) and seemed to successfully install but it won;t find the tuner when I try to enable it. Anyone been through this? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

Guys - just bought a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T USB Stick in the hope of tuning in Saorview -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WinTV-NOVA-T-USB-Stick-freeview/dp/tech-data/B000F8RPQE/ref=de_a_smtd

The drivers were already there (Black Hole) and seemed to successfully install but it won;t find the tuner when I try to enable it. Anyone been through this? :confused:

What version of BH are you on?
    I thought it was automatically detected in the latest versions?
    Does it not appear in the list of Tuners in Service Searching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

should be automatically detected, that stick never gave me bother in any image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Can't remember if it applies in the latest version, but have you done a full reboot? Not just a gui reboot as prompted. Tuner should then be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Can someone check if ESPN HD is OK on genuine Irish card.

ESPN America HD is fine.

Black with me and the frequency info is correct.

dfdream wrote: »
    Black with me and the frequency info is correct.

Its because setanta Ireland are showing that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Ta lad.

See that..
    Tony wrote: »
    Its because setanta Ireland are showing that game

Wiggy wrote: »
    What version of BH are you on?
    I thought it was automatically detected in the latest versions?
    Does it not appear in the list of Tuners in Service Searching?
    stanley1 wrote: »
    should be automatically detected, that stick never gave me bother in any image.
    rurs wrote: »
    Can't remember if it applies in the latest version, but have you done a full reboot? Not just a gui reboot as prompted. Tuner should then be working.

Looks like the problem might be that my image is old. I'm going to update to BH 1.7.3. Ayone using this new image? :confused:
    http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/black-hole-vu-duo-1-7-3-skin-tribute.6089/

I'm on BH1.72 and just tried out a new skin that makes the box crash on loading GUI. Is there any way to force the box back to default skin during boot up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

You can ftp into your box whilst its restarting enigma (crashing) then delete the skin folder from the box and it will then use the default skin

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    You can ftp into your box whilst its restarting enigma (crashing) then delete the skin folder from the box and it will then use the default skin

Thanks for the fast response. Would you happen to know the path for the skin folder cant seem to find one called "skin" or similar? Thanks in advance

off the top of my head it will be something like usr/share/enigma2/

Then just delete the folder of the skin you downloaded ..so if the skin you downloaded was called eg 'greenskin' there should be a folder called greenskin ..just delete this

Thanks again but can't seem to find this folder in "configuration" or "hard drive"

Only reference I can find is a 1KB uninstall file in \\Bm750\configuration\uninstall
    Robxxx7 wrote: »
    off the top of my head it will be something like usr/share/enigma2/

Then just delete the folder of the skin you downloaded ..so if the skin you downloaded was called eg 'greenskin' there should be a folder called greenskin ..just delete this

Tony wrote: »
    Thanks again but can't seem to find this folder in "configuration" or "hard drive"

Only reference I can find is a 1KB uninstall file in \\Bm750\configuration\uninstall

You're going in via Windows Explorer? I think you'll need an FTP client like Filezilla to get at the relevant folder, Robxxx7 is right , it's usr/share/enigma2.

You're going in via Windows Explorer? I think you'll need an FTP client like Filezilla to get at the relevant folder, Robxxx7 is right , it's usr/share/enigma2.

Was using Total commander but guess its not connecting via FTP

Looks like the problem might be that my image is old. I'm going to update to BH 1.7.3. Ayone using this new image? :confused:
    http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/black-hole-vu-duo-1-7-3-skin-tribute.6089/

I'm still on 1.7.2 myself, though there seems to be a few interesting additions in 1.7.3.

What version are you on? I was going to suggest using the BackupIMG script to do a full backup of your current image before upgrading, so you can go back to a working system if things go pear-shaped, but there doesn't seem to be any scripts available to download from within the image at the moment. Maybe try later.

• Advertisement

You could also use telnet on your windows machine as well if you are having problems via FTP (or a program like putty)

telnet 192.168.1.100 (or whatever your box ip is)

then put in your username/password

then type

cd /usr/share/enigma2

then type
    ls

Then look for the name of the skin that you want deleting, then type

rm -rf <folder name>

Just be careful using the command and ensure you have the correct name of the folder you want to delete.

Had to put new image on but all working now. Thanks for the help

I'm still on 1.7.2 myself, though there seems to be a few interesting additions in 1.7.3.

What version are you on? I was going to suggest using the BackupIMG script to do a full backup of your current image before upgrading, so you can go back to a working system if things go pear-shaped, but there doesn't seem to be any scripts available to download from within the image at the moment. Maybe try later.

I was on 1.4.5 and I've now uploaded to 1.7.3 (along with the Bootloader). Everything seems fine so now worry about restoring ;)

Unfortunately the WinTV usb tuner is not being found :(. It looks like the option is not there any more to install the drivers yourself so I'm guessing that the tuner should just work? :confused:

of late, my VU+ Duo randomly goes into epg mode. Literally, I'm watching tv, and hour or two pass by, then the screen flicks into a certain epg mode. the one where I get a lift of favourites on the left, and now/next to the right.

Is this happening to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

I've not seen that one, however in the past days I've noticed a problem when I want to switch the box on for the first time in a given day, (wake it from sleep if you will). Firstly nothing at all happens although I do see the remote light flash on the front of the box so its not the remote. Trying to switch on using the wheel does nothing, so I'm forced to power off and back on.

Even this is not foolproof as I needed to do twice yesterday, and already twice today, and its not up yet.
    I am having parallel problems with my Broadband, and I now wanted to switch on my VU to change my IP address range as my UPC router just upgraded itself and is forcing me to use its own range.
    Just as I write this the box finished booting, taking approx 5 mins in total - very uncommon.

I was on 1.4.5 and I've now uploaded to 1.7.3 (along with the Bootloader). Everything seems fine so now worry about restoring ;)

Unfortunately the WinTV usb tuner is not being found :(. It looks like the option is not there any more to install the drivers yourself so I'm guessing that the tuner should just work? :confused:

Yes it should just work. I had a problem where the volar stick was installed ok but did not pick up any channels, this worked for me http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77092496&postcount=2061

clancger wrote: »
    I am having parallel problems with my Broadband, and I now wanted to switch on my VU to change my IP address range as my UPC router just upgraded itself and is forcing me to use its own range.
    Just as I write this the box finished booting, taking approx 5 mins in total - very uncommon.

I had something similar once, in my case it was a badly set up network mount.

The default skin on Blackhole 1.7.3 is really nice , eveything working well so far .

Maybe I gave up too easily but I really hated the BH remote control layout - particularly for channel changing. i also found the EPG difficult...CoolEPG not as cool as it's name suggests - couldn't really get it set-up the way I wanted. This is all look and feel stuff though. Other than that it's was great - network setup was way more plug and play than VIX in terms of mounting network drives. Generally seemed more stable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Last night, the box just switched off and took a couple of attempts to get it to boot. When it came up, the picture was slightly smaller than the viewable area of the TV, so the OSD settings had gotten screwed up somehow.
    A bit later it switched off again, and I was unable to get it to boot at all.
    When I switched on, it would show "Starting" in the display for about 30 seconds, then just switch itself off again. It wasn't even staying on long enough to initialise telnet.

In the end, I reflashed with an old version of VIX I had on a USB key, then once I got it switched on, I FTPed an backup I made when I upgraded to V204 from the HDD, and reflashed again - back in business.

Is it not possible to initialise an image backup directly from the HDD? I thought is was possible int past, but it wouldnt allow me to do so last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

SalteeDog wrote: »
    Maybe I gave up too easily but I really hated the BH remote control layout - particularly for channel changing. i also found the EPG difficult...CoolEPG not as cool as it's name suggests - couldn't really get it set-up the way I wanted. This is all look and feel stuff though. Other than that it's was great - network setup was way more plug and play than VIX in terms of mounting network drives. Generally seemed more stable too.

Totally agree about the remote setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

my webinterface has stopped working.

i get get to webpage to open at all and i checked all the settings still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

irishgeo wrote: »
    my webinterface has stopped working.

i get get to webpage to open at all and i checked all the settings still no joy.

I was having this problem recently. I didn't notice that somehow the "http strict security" (or whatever it's called) option on the webif settings had changed to yes. ...Can't remember the exact wording, but I think there are only 3 settings in webif and it's the third one.

Once I set that to no I could find it again. I don't recall changing anything beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

my duo is arriving today but unsure of the image to flash

what do the experienced lads here think?

I am leaning towards ViX but is blackhole a bit more stable?

I have read this on other forums but its hard to tell with the amount of fanboys for each image

also regarding picons, do i have to d/l these separately or is there an option within the images flashed to d/l them?

Picons are over-rated. You comfortably get more channels on a single screen epg without them. Also, it's easier to distinguish channels via letters, I've found than via [some] picons.
    But if you must try them (and admittedly I did too before eventually removing them), I think more recent Vix allows you to download them as a plugin -or even possibly automatically. Could be wrong there though.

Anyway, get everything else up & running before thinking of picons is my advice.

As for which image. It's true there are fans of each. Try one and if you have a problem, try the other. It's easy enough to flash once you do it once. I installed Vix over a year ago because that's what almost everyone seemed to be using and it had the best support (I felt). I have yet to install Blackhole. I'd have no problems using Blackhole instead, except I'm not sure what difference it would make apart from having to set it all up again in unfamiliar territory. I'm sure many Blackholers would have similar tales.

• Advertisement

have to say i have tried them all but always end up going back to Vix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

thanks lads, think I will try ViX first as their support forum is quite good

oh one more question regarding Bouquets,

I want channel lists for 28e and 19e, can you also get these via a plugin or do I have to scour some forums to d/l them and edit them with dmb-editor

When you select those tuner settings it finds them automatically.

@Auvers: There's not much in it but personally I prefer VIX - largely because of look and feel considerations.

Top tip for you - be very careful when setting up CrossEPG to ensure you do not store EPG data in internal flash memory (I think this may be the default). EPG data filling up memory is one of the biggest reasons for crashes. it's best to use a USB stick for EPG and PICONs (and indeed also for timeshift recording).

@irishgeo: if the other suggestion hasn't fixed your webif just doublecheck that the IP address of the box hasn't changed. Your router may have assigned it a different IP on a recent restart.

+1 for picons and epg on usb stick, caused me many a crash on my vu till I found this out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement