Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vu+ duo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

guys is there any way to play .iso files on the vu+ duo?

or must i convert the .iso files to another format?

cheers

Depending on the image you have check on the DVD player plug in, should allow you mount the image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

finally got round and ordered me a Vu+ Duo :-)

couldn't be arsed waiting for the impending newer version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Enjoy it Stux..... Can't wait to hear what setup you end up with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I am going to start using a usb stick for my cross epg updates.Whats the minimum size and write speed I would need?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just checked there, the whole CrossEPG folder for 28.2 ame is ~40 megs, so anything bigger than that, I think any USB key would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Clareman wrote: »
    Just checked there, the whole CrossEPG folder for 28.2 ame is ~40 megs, so anything bigger than that, I think any USB key would work.
    would thre write speed make any difference?

I wouldn't think so to be honest, I've used some really cr@p sticks in the past and there was no problem with them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

still having bother with updates for the epg. I have changed it to usb stick but still doesnt update and when i try doing it manually it takes at least a couple of goes to download as it just crashes. Then when it has done it successfully i have to restart it to update the epg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I see a few people say on the thread that the Nova-T isn't working reliably as a DTT receiver with recent VIX.

I'm having the same issue, and would prefer to buy a replacement tuner. What brand/model is working reliably for people with Saorview/VIX please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

had best results with this tuner, it's a dual tuner so should be handy when 2nd mux comes online.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PLAY-TV/dp/B001D67WJW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355059983&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

edanto wrote: »
    I see a few people say on the thread that the Nova-T isn't working reliably as a DTT receiver with recent VIX.

I'm having the same issue, and would prefer to buy a replacement tuner. What brand/model is working reliably for people with Saorview/VIX please?

Nova-T.

edanto wrote: »

I'm using a PlayTV with the DIB0700 drivers, happy enough with it.
    JonnyM wrote: »
    still having bother with updates for the epg. I have changed it to usb stick but still doesnt update and when i try doing it manually it takes at least a couple of goes to download as it just crashes. Then when it has done it successfully i have to restart it to update the epg.

How many EPG sources are you using?
    Is it just Sky/CrossEPG you are using i.e only 1 provider?
    Or are you downloading rytec/xmltv sources for multisat too?
    If you are downloading multiple sources, I'd recommend you enable a swapfile as I find using multiple sources can cause the system to crash.
    If you have a crashlog available for these crashes I'd happily take a look for you to see what the prob is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Hi guys, just got my Vu Duo a couple of weeks back and wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to get the Irish channels tuned in by using my old Terratec Cinergy T2 that I used to use with my Mac? Is there somewhere I can find a driver or package to help with that? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

44.jpg

Note: my TV can already tune in the Saorview channels, but I'd like to have it working on the Vu so I can record them.

Much appreciated.

I don't know what that is, but if it's a USB tuner it probably would work I'm guessing. Connect it. Go to plugins, choose one of the drivers on there (none of them have product names anyway). Install. Reboot. See if it works. You should probably remove each driver before trying another.

Or else someone else will be along to correct what I've said.

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm using a PlayTV with the DIB0700 drivers, happy enough with it.

How many EPG sources are you using?
    Is it just Sky/CrossEPG you are using i.e only 1 provider?
    Or are you downloading rytec/xmltv sources for multisat too?
    If you are downloading multiple sources, I'd recommend you enable a swapfile as I find using multiple sources can cause the system to crash.
    If you have a crashlog available for these crashes I'd happily take a look for you to see what the prob is.

I would have to say im not sure about how many EPG sources im using how can i check this?? I think its only 1 though Sky/CrossEPG.

Also in the crossEPG menu i have nothing selected in the XMLTV providers list does this mean im not downloading rytec/xmltv sources??

Where would i find my crashlog? I would happily let you see it if i knew how to access it :o

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Make sure you don't have a copy of epg.dat left on the flash storage. Your only copy of epg.dat should be on the USB.

SalteeDog wrote: »
    Make sure you don't have a copy of epg.dat left on the flash storage. Your only copy of epg.dat should be on the USB.

How do i find this out?

You can use a FTP client (e.g. filezilla) on your PC to connect to the Vu+ remotely and browse for the files. DO NOT DELETE anything unless you are sure of what you are doing. Ask for advice first if unsure.

I wonder if anyone here has any suggestions as to why my duo takes around 10 minutes (without exaggeration) to hard boot? It didn't used to take so long, but since the last update that's how it goes.

Sometimes, if needed, I would switch off with the main switch behind. After I turn it on again (no matter how long I wait) it will usually display either a part-message (eg. "..ING") or a foreign-language looking message (eg. something like "UTERING"). Then nothing happens. Eventually I switch off & on again, it goes to the VIX LOADING message, where it stays for 5 minutes or so before the swivelling-VIX icon comes up onscreen, indicating something is happening. Stays like that another 5 or more minutes before it all comes on.

There's no hard-disk tick noise to indicate it's a hd hardware issue -and once it's up & running there's no other problem. I've been meaning to reflash/ reinstall the latest vix, but I was hoping a new Vix would come out and fix it. I don't reboot very often anyway, so it's not a major issue. It's quick enough to come on from standby.

Maybe there's some setting somewhere enabled? Anyone?

my new duo arrived today, what image are people using, vix or blackhole seem to be the most popular on forums Ive read,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Stuxnet wrote: »
    my new duo arrived today, what image are people using, vix or blackhole seem to be the most popular on forums Ive read,

Vix for me anyways

@Gunther_Gloop. I've seen those messages on occasion too when rebooting. I usually wait a few mins and if nothing happens I do a hard reboot again. Generally the longer I wait with the switch off (allowing the capacitors inside to discharge presumably) the more chance I have of a successful boot. Like yourself, I usually leave it on standby all the time...not even bothering with a 'sleep' mode.

@Stuxnet..I use Vix. A few here use Blackhole. I recommend trying both before you decide.

cheers lads, ya might try one or two, just need something stable and wife friendly, flashed 2.3 vix....
    should I work my way up through the updates to most recent one by one, or is it cool to just flash the latest vix without issue.... or is there, i havent checked..automatic network update, plan to hook it up to the apple express base station currently plugged into the sky box

and quick question, how do i back up my current clean firmware, before i tear the arse out of it with configs etc ! I assume its easy to recover from an messed up box ?

Although Im a linux user, I know these things happen :)

cheers lads, ya might try one or two, just need something stable and wife friendly, flashed 2.3 vix....
    should I work my way up through the updates to most recent one by one, or is it cool to just flash the latest vix without issue.... or is there, i havent checked..automatic network update, plan to hook it up to the apple express base station currently plugged into the sky box

and quick question, how do i back up my current clean firmware, before i tear the arse out of it with configs etc ! I assume its easy to recover from an messed up box ?

Although Im a linux user, I know these things happen :)

You are better off going to OpenVIX 3.0 straight away. Latest files can be found on world-of-satellite.com.

Recovery is usually very simple. Be careful though that you always flash with an image designed for your specific box. Most images will have backup tools.

Managed to play with my new duo at the weekend, but didnt get long as the kids were hounding me to hook back up the sky box to watch cartoons, so I didnt finish the setup

What I did manage to do was setup SGTFlipFlop SKYUK Bouquet, grand I have my listings, but any non fta channel I tried to view was black, I have my paid for sky subscription card in the box, Ive been reading I need to setup cccam for it to work ? I assumed it would be plug and play. Didnt have time to get it sorted, so does anybody have a quick "how to" for me ?

thanks

Managed to play with my new duo at the weekend, but didnt get long as the kids were hounding me to hook back up the sky box to watch cartoons, so I didnt finish the setup

What I did manage to do was setup SGTFlipFlop SKYUK Bouquet, grand I have my listings, but any non fta channel I tried to view was black, I have my paid for sky subscription card in the box, Ive been reading I need to setup cccam for it to work ? I assumed it would be plug and play. Didnt have time to get it sorted, so does anybody have a quick "how to" for me ?

thanks

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23571-New-box-set-up-guide

SalteeDog wrote: »

I did all that..but reading it a second time, I just spotted this bit at the end :-p
    Now we can activate the Cam via the blue button. Blue button> softcam manager. press green to start the cam and blue to enable auto start.
    I never activated it :-p

cheers

Cool , thanks have my regular sky channels now, but no HD versions, I have HD package subscription ? any enlightement, sorry for being a n00b, I did do a quick search didnt find anything...:D

For Sky Channels you'll need a HD subscription for them to come through, you should get the BBC and ITV HD channels fine though. If you are using Sgt's Bouquet, goto the FTA Listing, you should be able to find the free HD channels there.

I have a HD subscription....
    Im now using "Enigma2, A working 28.2e Auto bouquet updater " to mimic the Sky layout and channel numbers, any Sky HD channels are coming (eg 501 Sky news HD) up black, I am getting the fta HD stuff :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

is it possible you are looking at the wrong version of the channel e.g. an english version when your card grants access to an irish version?

Im now using "Enigma2, A working 28.2e Auto bouquet updater " to mimic the Sky layout and channel numbers, any Sky HD channels are coming (eg 501 Sky news HD) up black, I am getting the fta HD stuff :confused:

Have you setup your Cccam config file with your boxkey?

Can you get RTE 2 HD without any problem? There seems to be just 1 Sky News HD and I think that's FTA, they use that for testing and everything I think.

Try doing a scan and then doing the bouquets afterwards

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/294119-please-help-no-high.html

Have you setup your Cccam config file with your boxkey?
    no...but this sounds like it'll work ! I did create it, but its blank
    Can you get RTE 2 HD without any problem? There seems to be just 1 Sky News HD and I think that's FTA, they use that for testing and everything I think.
    No, not rte 2 hd, was black, but I was getting bbc/itv hd !

thanks lads, Id bet my house its the cccam.cfg file that just needs editing
    Ill check when I get home after work, ...which reminds me, if I wrote down its ip, I guess I could edit it over ssh now from work :-/

loving this box :-)

Ill check when I get home after work, ...which reminds me, if I wrote down its ip, I guess I could edit it over ssh now from work :-/

Well if the Cccam.cfg is blank then that is the problem.
    The premium channels are paired by sky so only the correct card/box pair can open them.
    Of course this pairing can and will be emulated via whichever softcam you use but the the box id needs to be added to the .cfg before it will clear the channels ;)
    The box key is just a matter of inputting your box serial number(from services screen) into a hex calculator or some Sky boxes even have it printed on the info barcode on the base.

If you setup DDNS and port forwarding you'll be able to access the web portal and the streaming aspects of the box, you'll even be able to get it working on your smartphone.

hey lads, ya so got the serial number 17 digit code, was available on the underside of the sky box also :), did the hex coversion of the 10 digit code part and put it into /etc/cccam.cfg like so...
    BOXKEY: /dev/sci0 XX XX XX XX
    SMARTCARD CLOCK FREQUENCY: /dev/sci0 3570000

eta: tried with sci1 also, as entitlements menu seemed to indicate this was the working slot location ? !

Still no joy in seeing my HD package channels, what program is currently on and up next shows alright in the epg

I tried using ccam 2.1.3, which seems to be more popular, was using 2.3, no difference

:(

hey lads, ya so got the serial number 17 digit code, was available on the underside of the sky box also :), did the hex coversion of the 10 digit code part and put it into /etc/cccam.cfg like so...
    BOXKEY: /dev/sci0 XX XX XX XX

eta: tried with sci1 also, as entitlements menu seemed to indicate this was the working slot location ? !

Still no joy in seeing my HD package channels, what program is currently on and up next shows alright in the epg

I tried using ccam 2.1.3, which seems to be more popular, was using 2.3, no difference

:(

Did you try turning your Sky card the other way around?
    You'd be surprised how many people have it in wrong way round?
    BOXKEY: /dev/sci0 XX XX XX XX XX

Is correct with sci0 being the top card slot reader.
    I think you have to have the line:

before the BOXKEY line as i think it may lead to a syntax error?

Also, when you add the .cfg file are you restarting the Vu+
    And do you have CCcam set to autostart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Non HD channels work so it wont be that.

Did I read something about Sky blocking cccam for a lot of channels cause of card sharing? Maybe that's what's happening? You could try oscam instead and see if that'll work

http://linuxsat-support.com/oscam-configs-all-packages/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Did I read something about Sky blocking cccam for a lot of channels cause of card sharing? Maybe that's what's happening? You could try oscam instead and see if that'll work

http://linuxsat-support.com/oscam-configs-all-packages/

No I doubt that's his problem. I think sky decreased the ecm times so you need fast broadband with low ping rates or the picture will break up. Ironically old sky boxes couldn't deal with the changes and had problems too.

Using an incorrect boxkey seems to be what most people do wrong.

Others seem to recommend using oscam instead of cccam.

When you scanned the channels on your box did you enable diseqc? Mightn't be able to flick between normal and data channels if it wasn't enabled

Non HD channels work so it wont be that.
    Yeah, I knew it was unlikely but was just spitballing possibilities, I'm fairly sure its a .cfg or box setup issue
    When you scanned the channels on your box did you enable diseqc? Mightn't be able to flick between normal and data channels if it wasn't enabled

Enabling Diseqc would be very unlikely to have any bearing on this issue.
    Stuxnet has stated he receives FTA channels which barring some situation I've never heard of(Which is very possible ;) ), means the LNB is active and working.
    And would (to my mind at least) eliminate any possible Diseqc issue.

Diseqc switches allows multiple LNBs to be connected to a single tuner,and too switch between those LNBs.
    With Diseqc only 1 LNB is active per tuner at any time, it does not allow or provide any ability to recognise ''normal'' or ''data'' and has no bearing on a tuner being able to receive/decode those channels other than of course specifying which LNB is active at which time.
    If the box is displaying FTA channels from the expected satellite, its safe to assume that any Diseqc(if used) is working correcly.

Enabling Diseqc would be very unlikely to have any bearing on this issue.
    Stuxnet has stated he receives FTA channels which barring some situation I've never heard of(Which is very possible ;) ), means the LNB is active and working.
    And would (to my mind at least) eliminate any possible Diseqc issue.

Diseqc switches allows multiple LNBs to be connected to a single tuner,and too switch between those LNBs.
    With Diseqc only 1 LNB is active per tuner at any time, it does not allow or provide any ability to recognise ''normal'' or ''data'' and has no bearing on a tuner being able to receive/decode those channels other than of course specifying which LNB is active at which time.
    If the box is displaying FTA channels from the expected satellite, its safe to assume that any Diseqc(if used) is working correcly.

I've noticed that when you don't enable it when you are scanning that a load of channels are missing, you will get ~1000 when scanning with it enabled ~500 with it set to off, it might be something to try.

• Advertisement

ah Im not that bad :-p
    BOXKEY: /dev/sci0 XX XX XX XX XX

Is correct with sci0 being the top card slot reader.
    I think you have to have the line:

before the BOXKEY line as i think it may lead to a syntax error?
    Ill swap them around and see, Ive the sky box hooked back up again temporarily, till the weekend, cheers
    I wasnt at first, but I have tried, and yes CCcam is set to autostart, hoping its something just as minor a bad misinterpretation of my serial and conversion to hex, can I pm you what I have and you confirm for me ?

I've noticed that when you don't enable it when you are scanning that a load of channels are missing, you will get ~1000 when scanning with it enabled ~500 with it set to off, it might be something to try.

Diseqc will have no bearing on the number of channels received during a single satellite scan.
    You should recieve @ 955 services from 28.2 see here including about 50 ''data'' streams.
    In that case even if Diseqc made a difference to the ''data'' channels received it would be a difference of @50 channels

Now considering Sky Boxes are designed to specifically exclude Diseqc protocols its not possible that Diseqc enable would allow you to receive anything that a standard Sky HD box can't receive.
    Meaning Diseqc has absolutely no bearing on a standard Sky set up or Linux pointed at 28.2e.
    In the case of your jump from 500 - 1000 channels by enabling Diseqc in a single LNB setup.....I'm stumped :confused: as even if Data streams made a difference it would only be @50 data services and @120 radios.

Are you sure your doubling of services is not a case of double counting on scanning both tuner A and B is it?
    i.e Tuner A will scan and give a channel count on a single scan ie 955, but if you do a multituner scan on A and B it will give you a total of 1910 as it will count duplicate services on seperate tuners as seperate services.

ah Im not that bad :-p

Ill swap them around and see, Ive the sky box hooked back up again temporarily, till the weekend, cheers

I wasnt at first, but I have tried, and yes CCcam is set to autostart, hoping its something just as minor a bad misinterpration of my serial to hex, can I pm you what I have and you confirm for me ?[/QUOTE]

Of course, But just using the Hex calculator in windows should sort you out for the correct box key.

Diseqc will have no bearing on the number of channels received during a single satellite scan.
    You should recieve @ 955 services from 28.2 see here including about 50 ''data'' streams.
    In that case even if Diseqc made a difference to the ''data'' channels received it would be a difference of @50 channels

Now considering Sky Boxes are designed to specifically exclude Diseqc protocols its not possible that Diseqc enable would allow you to receive anything that a standard Sky HD box can't receive.
    Meaning Diseqc has absolutely no bearing on a standard Sky set up or Linux pointed at 28.2e.
    In the case of your jump from 500 - 1000 channels by enabling Diseqc in a single LNB setup.....I'm stumped :confused: as even if Data streams made a difference it would only be @50 data services and @120 radios.

Are you sure your doubling of services is not a case of double counting on scanning both tuner A and B is it?
    i.e Tuner A will scan and give a channel count on a single scan ie 955, but if you do a multituner scan on A and B it will give you a total of 1910 as it will count duplicate services on seperate tuners as seperate services.

That's all correct but I do know that some Enigma2 boxes (specifically the Gigablue) had a firmware issue/bug that limited the scan if diseqc wasn't selected in the tuner set-up. ...irrespective of whether there was a Diseqc switch connected or not. I've never heard of that problem on the Vu+ boxes though.

Sorry lads meant to get back to ye, went through a few hoops with banie last night, everything was correct on my end so we were both a bit stumped.

Then I noticed a flashing green icon on my epg, had to google to see what it meant, turned out there were 56 updates available to me, downloaded and installed them what do you know all my HD channels were suddenly available to me !!

so all good now, only thing that doesnt work is channel 4 and chan 4+1 ? weird !

Stuck on xmbc metro theme from the plugins menu, really nice UI and epg now, so happy enough witht the visual layout now also :)

just need to train the brain now to learn the series link stuff/auto timers..:cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement